General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

^%&^%#*&(*) Cheap A$$ Hardware Store Tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:17 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 580 Likes on 362 Posts
Default ^%&^%#*&(*) Cheap A$$ Hardware Store Tools

I was an aircraft mechanic in a previous life, FAA A&P certificated. I was a believer in Snap-On Tools. If for nothing else a prospective customer was evaluating shops and he or she saw one shop with roll cabs loaded with Snap-On and another shop with Craftsman, Proto or whatever, chances are they'd go with the Snap-On shop. Pic shows what happens with cheap ch!t. The other end is in the screw that attaches the front brake line clamp under the triple trees. This with a tiny a$$ 1/4" ratchet, not like I was using a breaker bar or anything. Needless to say I said screw it and took the rest of the day off before something else went south on me. Not enough of the bit in the head of the fastener to grip with pliers. I need a beer.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:14 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 764 Posts

I am also a firm believer in quality tools. In the last year 99% of my craftsman tools have been given to my son and snap on, mac, matco stuff has moved in. Mac ratchet wrenches, Matco tore drivers, everything else is SO. Some new some used.
From what I have experienced, the biggest difference I have encountered is with torx and hex bit sockets. HF, lowes and HD stuff is absolute garbage compared to my snap on set. Tolerances are so much tighter with better tools.

Im sure the harbor freight guys will chime in with why that stuff is just as good. Ill stick with the truck brands from now on.

The following 2 users liked this post by eaglefan1:
Northernproducer (01-13-2019), tar_snake (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 02:16 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,237 Likes on 11,124 Posts

Looks like a Snap-On ratchet in the photo, at least that won't break. My ratchets are also Snap-On, the weak link is the bit.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 02:25 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

I have close to 12k in snap on tools. 1965 I went to work for a Chevy dealership. Bought the box and tools. Still have the box and 99% of the tools.
Cannot beat Snap-on if you want quality.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,250 Likes on 6,010 Posts

I feel for you!! I was a mechanic from about 1972 to 1979. Most of my tools were Snap-On and Mac.... with some Craftsman thrown in. Those were the days when I worked next to a Sears and their tools were US made. I still have all those tools today. I still use them. And I have had some of my Snap-On ratchets repaired/replaced over the past 30+ years. Now I do have some off brand tools because I do not have quick access to the tool trucks. I truly believe in using the best tools I can afford or get.
I would hate to know how much my tools would cost in todays dollar. Seems like in the 70's I spent in the neighborhood of $3,500 for them over several years......

Old 01-12-2019, 02:40 PM
aaa1988
Road Master
Received 577 Likes on 293 Posts

I am afraid to add up how much I have invested in quality tools like Snap On Mac etc over the last 30 years. But it is worth every penny. When I need something I have it and I don't have to worry about it failing.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Quitter!!

Old 01-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Indawynd
Elite HDF Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 2,749 Posts

There are professional quality tools and home quality tools for sure. I filled my Kennedy box up with SK back in the 80s. Used them pretty much every day since and had only a 1/4 ratchet fail in that time. I WAS expecting it to strip when it did but it got the job done. A free rebuild kit and it rocks on.

Craftsman stuff just never felt right in my hands so I never got into it other than to buy it cheap at flee markets for a small tool roll in the car and truck. It will do most jobs.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:53 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Originally Posted by upflying
Looks like a Snap-On ratchet in the photo, at least that won't break. My ratchets are also Snap-On, the weak link is the bit.
Yep, you've got good eyes,

Originally Posted by Spartanden
I feel for you!! Now I do have some off brand tools because I do not have quick access to the tool trucks. I truly believe in using the best tools I can afford or get.
That's my deal, I just got lazy or in a hurry and drove around the corner for some bits. I'll get it out of there, there are just times you've gotta step away.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:58 PM
ole_phart
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cazador
Quitter!!
That plus I tore open my left middle finger and was bleeding all over the towel covering the front fender. I threw in the towel for the day, no pun intended.

Quick Reply: ^%&^%#*&(*) Cheap A$$ Hardware Store Tools