General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideas on generating interest in motorcycling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 07:01 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottinAZ
If you have kids (or grandkids) take them to the motorcycling events that you go to.

Here's my experience with that. When we were in the rest room the kid says "Grandpa, why didn't he wash his hands?". Biker says to the kid "Don't **** on your F'n hands and you won't have to was them". There are too many of those kind of guys out there. Grandson and I had a conversation on not being that guy. Spoiled the day for me.

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (12-15-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 07:23 PM
kgballer2442
Cruiser
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

It's all about the marketing, and I know Harley Davidson is trying but they fell short with the Livewire. The younger generations don't know the brand and won't give it a chance if the brand won't give them a chance.
​Maybe Harley Davidson needs the equivalent to a Marlboro man.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:33 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,401 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
Many of you here on this forum have posted amazing photos of your trips and the amazing adventures on two wheels. Each time that I read about your trips I can't help but envy you a bit since I can't do the same due to funds, health, and family commitments. Well, I think that there are many people out there that would enjoy your trips the way that I do. So I was thinking, perhaps if someone was to produce a weekly show, maybe on PBS, where they would follow a different group of people each week on these fantastic rides throughout the country. Every week it would be a different group of riders.

The excitement that came across the screen on some of the old motorcycle movies surely helped increase ridership. I think that this show would probably do the same for today's generation. Imagine going to Wyoming and South Dakota. Maybe a night trip in the Arizona desert camping under the stars with your bike. Perhaps a day trip through the Tail of the Dragon. This show would not just be about riding but also about the friendships that are forged on two wheels. Spending time in the garage, riding out to meet some friends. Maybe throw in a rally or two. Heck, I am sure that even winter riding through a small town or around the farm with your grand children or kids would be fun to watch.

There are so many nice parts of the country that we would enjoy seeing the twisting roads, the landscape, the camaraderie, and most of all, the excitement that is enjoyed when it is just you, your bike and mother nature.

Maybe we could even make a YouTube channel where we share your adventures? Your thoughts?
You've never been to www.advrider.com, have you? Check it out. What they consider "routine," we would consider beyond ludicrous.
(Also, some of us already have yootoob channels...) Mines "NORTY50"

Old 01-20-2019, 07:34 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,297 Likes on 5,564 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
Here's my experience with that. When we were in the rest room the kid says "Grandpa, why didn't he wash his hands?". Biker says to the kid "Don't **** on your F'n hands and you won't have to was them". There are too many of those kind of guys out there. Grandson and I had a conversation on not being that guy. Spoiled the day for me.
yeah, you're gonna run into that anywhere though. Kids will pick the worst moment to spout off, and some smartass will say something. It seems now that NOBODY has a filter. Back in the day, it would have been most likely brushed off. My general point still stands, it's up to us to share our passions, all the things I love and do, are due to somebody exposing me to them. As I said, if it isn't us, somebody else will expose them to things, and we may not like what they are exposed to.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,016 Likes on 2,820 Posts

^^^^ Well because most parents don't teach their kids the meanings of responsibility and accountability. Then one day something they say gets them a smack either verbally or physically.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:14 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

If someone has to be "led" or "motivated" to ride a motorcycle, they don't belong on one.

0maha (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 AM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
If someone has to be "led" or "motivated" to ride a motorcycle, they don't belong on one.
I'm not sure about that. I didn't think much about motorcycles until given a ride on my dad's Ducati when I was 12. Guess that's what you might call being "introduced with the experience". It hooked me for life...just that one ride did it.

The following 2 users liked this post by FunGramps:
DuciDay (12-15-2019), nytryder (01-24-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:44 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Excuse my honest rant-
This is BS!!
OP, -and the others that are cuddling up to this idea of selling a hobby to someone.
DONT!
WHY?
You LONELY?
Or what?
First, I do ask you why?
Why do you want to create a liability?
If you read these dam forums there are so many already that need babysitting it is retarded ridiculous.
They can't change a light bulb!-You want to help someone that does really have any interest?
Now, - To almost force a person on a bike, ( or any hobby) to pry them until they do, what have you accomplished?
They will never sprout wings and fly.
Like I said earlier - No one anywhere said I should get involved with any of my hobbies.
Who made you get involved?
I bet no one.
People that are interested in something have it in their blood.
They have a niche for it.
They automatically tumble to it like a duck to water
The last couple of generations are just different.
They want instant click and go.
A bike is too real and nonsense to them. Uber is the deal.
No payments, no insurance. No notin!
Carry on.
Do you deny riding is inherently more dangerous than driving in a car? If so, then why would you keep riding? Probably because you're willing to assume the risk and accept the possibility of being a "liability".

Everyone's got to start somewhere. My guess is that a large percentage of those that ride today followed the typical transition of riding a bicycle with training wheels, to losing the training wheels, to a mini-bike, to a small dirt bike, to a motorcycle. Hell. as a kid, my bike wasn't particularly for entertainment - it was a means of transportation. Maybe that's where the problem lies - less kids riding bikes and loosing the urge to ride early.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:49 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I think, to an extent, all of us were "led" or "motivated" to ride. Nobody was born wanting to ride a motorcycle while sucking on moms tit.

Now, to what extent that you were influenced to riding is another story. Getting the younger kids engaged in different ways is a step to help them possibly want to learn to ride. Lot of them are not even getting licenses! So they are not even getting cars! I think they all need to grow up a bit and see that they need their own transportation and not rely on riding services and mom / dad.

Kingglide549 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:52 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Maybe that's where the problem lies - less kids riding bikes and loosing the urge to ride early.
Agree. I don't see many kids riding bikes around here. At the park you see a couple, but around here you might see a couple riding around the area close to home. Not far like I did when I was a kid. I went far on my bike. I needed to get somewhere and didn't want to bother my parents for a ride or they were working. It was my transportation.

Quick Reply: Ideas on generating interest in motorcycling?