Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Garage Queens (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1269383-garage-queens.html)

gatorlaw 01-30-2019 04:44 PM

Garage Queens

As I was scrolling bikes I always run across 10 year old bikes, where the owners are always under the impression that their “investment” is far more valuable than reality, with low miles like most less than 5000.

Now thats all too common, as many people buy these, mod the hell out of them, then put 500 miles per year average, then think they are gonna get most (sometimes even all) of their “investment “ back on the sale. Anyway. That’s another story.

What I am seeing more and more of is that most of these bikes are covered with “Live to Ride” crap (even funnier when the seller says all dealer installed). WTF, live to ride and you did 5k miles in 10 years. Harley should restrict the sales of that shit to those that actually ride.

upflying 01-30-2019 04:54 PM

No boutique "live to ride" trinkets and jewelry on my bike. I still have stock grips, imagine that.

Crazy 01-30-2019 04:56 PM

Sorry, I have to disagree. I always buy my bikes used, and get them from people like this. I just watch the ads, and watch the price drop over the course of months. Sooner or later they get the price down to reality, and then we can talk. I usually restrict what I'm looking at to bikes that are almost completely stock. Bottom line: I'm happy as hell there are so many garage queens out there.

Dynamick 01-30-2019 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by gatorlaw (Post 17999016)
As I was scrolling bikes I always run across 10 year old bikes, where the owners are always under the impression that their “investment” is far more valuable than reality, with low miles like most less than 5000.

Now thats all too common, as many people buy these, mod the hell out of them, then put 500 miles per year average, then think they are gonna get most (sometimes even all) of their “investment “ back on the sale. Anyway. That’s another story.

What I am seeing more and more of is that most of these bikes are covered with “Live to Ride” crap (even funnier when the seller says all dealer installed). WTF, live to ride and you did 5k miles in 10 years. Harley should restrict the sales of that shit to those that actually ride.

The irony is that those who actually ride would probably be embarrassed to have that shit on their bikes

0maha 01-30-2019 05:50 PM

The PO of my ElectraGlide (10k miles in 24 years) put some LTR-RTL stuff on her. I kept the derby cover. If asked, I call it "period correct".

saltlick 01-30-2019 05:53 PM

i dont like low mile bikes. I got a friend who has a motorcycle he bought new 10 years ago, put 1K miles on it and never rode it again. There its sat in his garage for the past 9 years never being started, or ridden. No oil changes, still the same gas in it, still the same battery. But it had a cover on it! So im sure he could post it up on CL looking brand new after a good wash, saying its only got 1K miles on it! barely ridden! and you will now have to replace the tank, the carb or fuel injection, the battery not to mention everything else that just sat there and rotted. No thanks, give me a bike with the right amount of miles on it for the year it is anyday.

VAFish 01-30-2019 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy (Post 17999051)
Sorry, I have to disagree. I always buy my bikes used, and get them from people like this. I just watch the ads, and watch the price drop over the course of months. Sooner or later they get the price down to reality, and then we can talk. I usually restrict what I'm looking at to bikes that are almost completely stock. Bottom line: I'm happy as hell there are so many garage queens out there.

I've watched bikes go from $5,000 down to $3,000 then offered them $2,000. The guy had put just over 400 miles on the bike in 6 years.

Watched one about 2000 883 sportster, it was yellow, the had extra driving lights, a goofy windshield, floor boards, and he was asking $6,500 for it in the spring. By October he was down to $3,500 and it finally sold, don't know what he accepted for it.

TroubleHead Fred 01-30-2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by saltlick (Post 17999178)
i dont like low mile bikes. I got a friend who has a motorcycle he bought new 10 years ago, put 1K miles on it and never rode it again. There its sat in his garage for the past 9 years never being started, or ridden. No oil changes, still the same gas in it, still the same battery. But it had a cover on it! So im sure he could post it up on CL looking brand new after a good wash, saying its only got 1K miles on it! barely ridden! and you will now have to replace the tank, the carb or fuel injection, the battery not to mention everything else that just sat there and rotted. No thanks, give me a bike with the right amount of miles on it for the year it is anyday.

I hear the horror stories of bikes parked like that not being good but in reality that isn't my experience with them at all. I'm betting a fresh tank of gas and a battery and the bike would fire right up if it was in good shape when parked. I do like to "break them in" a little at first just to make sure everything is going to mesh. I've brought many stored bikes back to life and haven't really had any trouble with them.

leftyjm 01-30-2019 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by gatorlaw (Post 17999016)

Who cares. It’s pretty much their choice isn’t it. There’s a lot more important things to worry about.
Are you with the mileage police?

Oko 01-30-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dynamick (Post 17999155)
The irony is that those who actually ride would probably be embarrassed to have that shit on their bikes

Nope. It was the first bling I installed by swapping out the stock gas cap cover for the HD LIVE TO RIDE one. I’m about 10k per year of riding. Gotta up those stats to compete with all the retired folks that do 20k per year!