Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Garage Queens (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1269383-garage-queens.html)

gatorlaw 01-30-2019 04:44 PM

Garage Queens

As I was scrolling bikes I always run across 10 year old bikes, where the owners are always under the impression that their “investment” is far more valuable than reality, with low miles like most less than 5000.

Now thats all too common, as many people buy these, mod the hell out of them, then put 500 miles per year average, then think they are gonna get most (sometimes even all) of their “investment “ back on the sale. Anyway. That’s another story.

What I am seeing more and more of is that most of these bikes are covered with “Live to Ride” crap (even funnier when the seller says all dealer installed). WTF, live to ride and you did 5k miles in 10 years. Harley should restrict the sales of that shit to those that actually ride.

upflying 01-30-2019 04:54 PM

No boutique "live to ride" trinkets and jewelry on my bike. I still have stock grips, imagine that.

Crazy 01-30-2019 04:56 PM

Sorry, I have to disagree. I always buy my bikes used, and get them from people like this. I just watch the ads, and watch the price drop over the course of months. Sooner or later they get the price down to reality, and then we can talk. I usually restrict what I'm looking at to bikes that are almost completely stock. Bottom line: I'm happy as hell there are so many garage queens out there.

Dynamick 01-30-2019 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by gatorlaw (Post 17999016)
As I was scrolling bikes I always run across 10 year old bikes, where the owners are always under the impression that their “investment” is far more valuable than reality, with low miles like most less than 5000.

Now thats all too common, as many people buy these, mod the hell out of them, then put 500 miles per year average, then think they are gonna get most (sometimes even all) of their “investment “ back on the sale. Anyway. That’s another story.

What I am seeing more and more of is that most of these bikes are covered with “Live to Ride” crap (even funnier when the seller says all dealer installed). WTF, live to ride and you did 5k miles in 10 years. Harley should restrict the sales of that shit to those that actually ride.

The irony is that those who actually ride would probably be embarrassed to have that shit on their bikes

0maha 01-30-2019 05:50 PM

The PO of my ElectraGlide (10k miles in 24 years) put some LTR-RTL stuff on her. I kept the derby cover. If asked, I call it "period correct".

saltlick 01-30-2019 05:53 PM

i dont like low mile bikes. I got a friend who has a motorcycle he bought new 10 years ago, put 1K miles on it and never rode it again. There its sat in his garage for the past 9 years never being started, or ridden. No oil changes, still the same gas in it, still the same battery. But it had a cover on it! So im sure he could post it up on CL looking brand new after a good wash, saying its only got 1K miles on it! barely ridden! and you will now have to replace the tank, the carb or fuel injection, the battery not to mention everything else that just sat there and rotted. No thanks, give me a bike with the right amount of miles on it for the year it is anyday.

VAFish 01-30-2019 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy (Post 17999051)
Sorry, I have to disagree. I always buy my bikes used, and get them from people like this. I just watch the ads, and watch the price drop over the course of months. Sooner or later they get the price down to reality, and then we can talk. I usually restrict what I'm looking at to bikes that are almost completely stock. Bottom line: I'm happy as hell there are so many garage queens out there.

I've watched bikes go from $5,000 down to $3,000 then offered them $2,000. The guy had put just over 400 miles on the bike in 6 years.

Watched one about 2000 883 sportster, it was yellow, the had extra driving lights, a goofy windshield, floor boards, and he was asking $6,500 for it in the spring. By October he was down to $3,500 and it finally sold, don't know what he accepted for it.

TroubleHead Fred 01-30-2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by saltlick (Post 17999178)
i dont like low mile bikes. I got a friend who has a motorcycle he bought new 10 years ago, put 1K miles on it and never rode it again. There its sat in his garage for the past 9 years never being started, or ridden. No oil changes, still the same gas in it, still the same battery. But it had a cover on it! So im sure he could post it up on CL looking brand new after a good wash, saying its only got 1K miles on it! barely ridden! and you will now have to replace the tank, the carb or fuel injection, the battery not to mention everything else that just sat there and rotted. No thanks, give me a bike with the right amount of miles on it for the year it is anyday.

I hear the horror stories of bikes parked like that not being good but in reality that isn't my experience with them at all. I'm betting a fresh tank of gas and a battery and the bike would fire right up if it was in good shape when parked. I do like to "break them in" a little at first just to make sure everything is going to mesh. I've brought many stored bikes back to life and haven't really had any trouble with them.

leftyjm 01-30-2019 06:16 PM

Who cares. It’s pretty much their choice isn’t it. There’s a lot more important things to worry about.
Are you with the mileage police?

Oko 01-30-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dynamick (Post 17999155)
The irony is that those who actually ride would probably be embarrassed to have that shit on their bikes

Nope. It was the first bling I installed by swapping out the stock gas cap cover for the HD LIVE TO RIDE one. I’m about 10k per year of riding. Gotta up those stats to compete with all the retired folks that do 20k per year!

kel03 01-30-2019 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by leftyjm (Post 17999239)

Who cares. It’s pretty much their choice isn’t it. There’s a lot more important things to worry about.

I read the original post and kind of thought the same thing, who cares what they do with their purchase or add on stuff, it's their money. Maybe that's their thing, "I got a Harley in the garage". Down the road, some will appreciate these bikes.

dickey 01-30-2019 06:27 PM

I put Willie G fer Chrissake skulls in the same category as LTR. Pure hokum.
Had a friend who bought a brand new BSA 441 Victor in '69. Put 200 miles on it, then bought a SuperGlide, so the Victor sat from '69 till '78 in the garage we shared together. When my buddy eventually bought it from him, we put in fresh gas, a battery, and it started ON THE FIRST KICK! After sitting for 9 years!

WrenchinRider 01-30-2019 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 0maha (Post 17999172)
the po of my electraglide (10k miles in 24 years) put some ltr-rtl stuff on her. I kept the derby cover. If asked, i call it "period correct".

hilarious!
​​​​​​​

Prof Rene 01-30-2019 06:54 PM

I bought a 1982 XLSA that sat for a year and a half with no fluids in it, plus an empty fuel tank with a liner that had fallen inside the tank. I spent two and a half hours cleaning the tank, putting fluids in it, and cleaning the carb. I did not have a battery for it so I grabbed the battery out of my 06 Softail (no they are not the same) and laid it sideways so I could connect the connectors. and well it ran.
I am not bragging, but I can get an old bike that sits running that is the easy part. The hard part is what happens next which is the replacement of all the worn or dried out parts and hoses.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...5fd1245c2e.jpg
The day I got it.
Now my wife's bike is an 08 Softail and it had 9800 miles about a year ago it now has double the miles and all we have done to it is replace the battery and the primary cover started to leak, so we went ahead and replaced the gasket. Of course, we did normal fluid changes. My wife loves to ride and we average hundreds of miles each weekend. Hers was in excellent condition and look. The PO kept it in a garage and the hardest part was cleaning all the chrome, dang thing is a chrome w*ore.

I say if they don't ride it and you can turn a wrench get it and be prepared to work your magic. I have a spare bike. lol.

Roadflyer 01-30-2019 07:07 PM

When I bought my 2005 RK a couple years ago, the owner pulled it out of the garage and it was the saddest, dirtiest bike i'd seen in ages.
The owner stated " yeh, I'm more of a just ride it kind of guy". He had bought the bike new and it was 10 years old and had about 5000 miles on it!!

TSheff 01-30-2019 07:15 PM

Then there is this. A good friend who has put lot of miles on lots of bikes, would be no problem for him to wake up years ago and decide to go for a ride and come home 400 miles later that evening.

Now he has a 9 year old Heritage that is spotless, maybe 5K on it. His family presses him to sell occasionally, so he'll list it for $15,000 and everyone is happy. He listed it, but it didn't sell (Oh Well).
That's what 2 back surgeries and a bout with cancer will do. I'm happy to see the bike there just in case. When he has a real good day now he may put 15 miles on it - back brace and all. Those 15 are as good as a 1000 mile trip when it comes to helping him feel better. I'm sure some days just looking at it is a good thing.

gatorlaw 01-30-2019 07:16 PM

The post wasn’t about looking for a low mileage bike, I’d rather have a dd with miles. Also, since several didn’t get the post, i don’t care what you put on your bike. I was merely pointing the irony of Live to Ride crap all over the bike that was never ridden.

TSheff 01-30-2019 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by gatorlaw (Post 17999387)
The post wasn’t about looking for a low mileage bike, I’d rather have a dd with miles. Also, since several didn’t get the post, i don’t care what you put on your bike. I was merely pointing the irony of Live to Ride crap all over the bike that was never ridden.

I get the Irony - see location - Nonya BS

Mallard Slayer 01-30-2019 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy (Post 17999051)

totally agree! I have never bought a new bike or truck in my life like you said low miles and totally stock is a must! I have less money in all three of the bikes I have now than it would cost for one new one!! I know where there is a 2006 road king for sale with very very low miles that could be had for CHEAP! here is the road king
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...4d83469ca9.jpg

HD_fan 01-30-2019 07:47 PM

I bought my 2009 Fatboy last Nov with 700 miles! I never let high mile bike scare me from buying them but I was a little iffy on this one. The bike also came with stage one with the original fuel pack. I bought the bike and it runs perfect! As a matter of fact I find myself not riding my Springer as much. The only thing I added is the LED taillight.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...f8912288c5.jpg

ieatchickens 01-30-2019 07:57 PM

Sounds like the real bikers get all up in a wad what someone else does to their ride. Enjoy the Willie G skulls and keep blipping your throttle.

gatorlaw 01-30-2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ieatchickens (Post 17999512)
Sounds like the real bikers get all up in a wad what someone else does to their ride. Enjoy the Willie G skulls and keep blipping your throttle.

Either you can’t read or chose not to...

maydaymike 01-31-2019 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by leftyjm (Post 17999239)

Wait! There's really mileage police? How do I join? :icon_dance-tap:

DonnieM 01-31-2019 08:09 AM

They "Live To Ride" around the block or to the local pub on Bike night. I am sure the oil was changed regularly at the dealer and and the tires were replaced @ 4K because they were weather rotted

SBRob 01-31-2019 08:18 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...4b7b18ecaa.jpg

BigMike 01-31-2019 08:52 AM

I used to average 5k miles a year which isn’t astounding. Now my 2015 SGS has 4900 on it which is probably a garage queen. I don’t claim to be or never have been LTR, but I’ve been doing it my entire life. The last few years I’ve had competing hobbies and life that conflict with riding. Plus, I’m not enthused to go out in GA in July when it’s 100 degrees and get on a 250 degree bike. I ride when I can and enjoy it.

The SGS is the first new Harley I bought, all others were garage queens a few years old. I searched within 500 miles willing to fly and ride when I bought the SGS, but couldn’t find one (2nd model year). I’ll always own and ride a Harley, just depends on how much I ride. I retire in 7 years when I’m 63 and will ride much more.

SBRob 01-31-2019 09:02 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...7e1018d789.gif

NORTY FLATZ 01-31-2019 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by leftyjm

The State of California is. They demand accurate mileage reporting evey year, for every vehicle driven/ridden. They say it's "only for demographic purposes." But we know better...

ThePaintPirate 01-31-2019 10:03 AM

i don’t care what you put on your bike.

If you really didn't you wouldn't have started this thread.

Just another "it's not what I do, so it's wrong" thread. Moving on ......

gatorlaw 01-31-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate (Post 18000594)
If you really didn't you wouldn't have started this thread.

Just another "it's not what I do, so it's wrong" thread. Moving on ......

Yet another who either can’t read or comprehend what was read. I never said I cared about what you do or don’t do to your bike. I don’t care how much you ride or don’t ride your bike.

The post was merely to point to tbe to the irony that many of the low mileage bikes are covered with Live to Ride doodads.

groupw 01-31-2019 12:29 PM

WTF, live to ride and you did 5k miles in 10 years.

.......... maybe they lead '500 miles a year' lives ?
.... it is their life after all.

pipeman1978 01-31-2019 12:47 PM

This excited me!

Originally Posted by Mallard Slayer (Post 17999485)
totally agree! I have never bought a new bike or truck in my life like you said low miles and totally stock is a must! I have less money in all three of the bikes I have now than it would cost for one new one!! I know where there is a 2006 road king for sale with very very low miles that could be had for CHEAP! here is the road king
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...4d83469ca9.jpg

This gave me a stiffy! Then the damn wife shot it down before I got the whole sentence out. Said you still owe on the Evo heritage. Damn it LOL!

tperk 01-31-2019 01:36 PM

Maybe they like the looks of the live to ride stuff on their bike!

Oldskewl 01-31-2019 01:38 PM

Who's Willie G?

OKMICK 01-31-2019 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Oldskewl (Post 18001228)
Who's Willie G?

Played for the Pittsburgh Pirates?
Down on the corner with the poor boys?

Spartanden 01-31-2019 04:41 PM

I thought the LTR RTL was cool when I first seen it years ago. But then I started paying a little attention to things, and figured it was one of the most idiotic statements I had seen. Those who sported that were definitely low mile riders. The Willie G was neat at first, but then so many of the same people were doing the same thing..... I guess I do what I want. If you decide this is what you want, go for it. I ride when I can and when I want. 6-8,000 miles a year, and that includes riding to work. Now I've retired, hoping to put more miles on. But then, I will ride when I can and when I want. This is not a mileage race for me!!!
I wave to every rider I see. I don't care what you ride, when you ride, or where you ride. If you are out on two wheels, kudos to you!!
I'm with ya gator......

Superdog3:16 01-31-2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by TSheff (Post 17999384)
Then there is this. A good friend who has put lot of miles on lots of bikes, would be no problem for him to wake up years ago and decide to go for a ride and come home 400 miles later that evening.

Now he has a 9 year old Heritage that is spotless, maybe 5K on it. His family presses him to sell occasionally, so he'll list it for $15,000 and everyone is happy. He listed it, but it didn't sell (Oh Well).
That's what 2 back surgeries and a bout with cancer will do. I'm happy to see the bike there just in case. When he has a real good day now he may put 15 miles on it - back brace and all. Those 15 are as good as a 1000 mile trip when it comes to helping him feel better. I'm sure some days just looking at it is a good thing.

Right on!

Superdog3:16 01-31-2019 05:21 PM

I'm gonna surf for a good winter deal on a queen right now! Lol. Great reading, love the forum....

Cygnusx51 01-31-2019 05:32 PM

I think “Loud Pipes Save Lives” patches and stickers are just as comical as the LTR RTL crappola.

Ragtop 01-31-2019 05:40 PM

"That's what 2 back surgeries and a bout with cancer will do. I'm happy to see the bike there just in case. When he has a real good day now he may put 15 miles on it - back brace and all. Those 15 are as good as a 1000 mile trip when it comes to helping him feel better. I'm sure some days just looking at it is a good thing."

Unfortunately, that is pretty much where I'm at now in my life. Five back surgeries, the last one being a failed 5 level fusion, leaves me with a LOT
of pain on a daily basis, but I refuse to sell my bike! Even if I can only ride for an hour or so, it's the best hour of the day/week/month.
I suppose my bikes and cars are garage queens, but I could care less. The bike is almost perfect for a 14 yr old bike.
I could care less about what people think about me or my bikes. All that matters to me is that I can still ride, and enjoy the bike, even if
it's only a short ride around town.. Plus, when I do sell, someone will get a very nice bike!
And yes, I do probably do more looking at it and tinkering with it than I do riding..haha