General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes & speeds - Pennsylvania and West Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:25 PM
Fat_Boy
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Should be good in PA. Inside town limits I'd try to stay within 5mph above the limit.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:22 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,505 Likes on 2,484 Posts

If you take rt. 7 through Masontown, W.Va. Do exactly the speed limit. Ask me how I know. You will pay a $130 fine right then & there at a little storefront office in the center of town. The good thing is it doesn't go on your license.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:31 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
The less attention you draw to yourself the better off you are.
This is the correct answer ^^^^

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (02-06-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 02:19 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,133 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Just a warning if you cross from West Virginia into Virginia.

In Virginia reckless driving is 20 mph over the limit, or over 80 MPH. That includes on the interstate where the speed limit is 70 MPH. Normally you are fine as long as you are less than 10 MPH over the limit, but on the interstates the cops generally won't pull you over until you are 10 MPH over the limit, and then it's a reckless driving ticket.

Knock on wood, I have never been hassled for loud pipes. But VA law says that your pipes can't be any louder than factory stock for that model year.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

I hear VA is pretty tough when it comes to cops. I hardly ever go through there.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:54 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,133 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I hear VA is pretty tough when it comes to cops. I hardly ever go through there.
I've had pretty good luck in the 35 years I've lived here. It's just that the law allows them to hammer you. The State Police have a worse reputation than most of the county or smaller departments, although there are some towns known as speed traps.

I have a buddy that is a deputy in a neighboring county, he says it's all about attitude. He generally doesn't write reckless tickets unless he walks up to the car and the driver starts cussing him out.

I didn't mention in my previous post, the reckless driving charge is a criminal misdemeanor, not a simple traffic ticket. And while 80 MPH gets you reckless driving, the sentencing guidelines for reckless driving add one night in jail for every mph over 90 MPH. Some of the judges give jail time for less, depending on your driving record. So it's not just the cops that can be hard on you.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,358 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
California speeders are making up time for the other part of the drive in stop-n-go traffic.
I can tell you from experience, cops look for drivers that stick out from the crowd.
That's kind of a universal principle that even goes beyond the scope of this thread. I've found that in most areas, it's good to blend in as much as possible.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,622 Likes on 9,825 Posts

In Pa, if you see a State Trooper, they have radar, they are looking for speeders. If its Township/Local, they are there to scrape you up off the road.....

Old 02-06-2019, 04:41 AM
iamcmf99
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 111 Posts

I have never been ticketed for loud pipes here, been riding with them for 40+ years. Also, only the state cops use radar. It is still (for now) not allowed for locals. However if you notice a set of parallel lines painted on the roads about 100 feet apart, that is used for "timing" cars, to measure speed. I was picked up for going 84MPH, when I was doing 62. I told the cop I was speeding, but not that fast. He finally wrote me up for a non-point ticket. Also, if riding in PA for the next 2 months, beware of debris on the roads..loose gravel, ash etc. from being used on snow covered roads. It's usually around bends and where stop signs are.

Last edited by iamcmf99; 02-06-2019 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Piss poor spelling
Old 02-06-2019, 05:18 AM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I live in PA; no problems w speeding; just dont be reckless. Ive only ever been stopped for loud pipes once and this was back in the early 90's. Cop pulls me over and asks about the pipes. I admit they are straight pipes without baffles. He then starts shoving his night stick up the pipes. Im like what the hell are you doing? He said checking to see if there are baffles. I was like I just fcking told you there werent any... He gave me a warning thing to have it fixed with in XX amount of days which I never did. Nothing further became of it. Just to add this was super loud at the time. I used to set car alarms off just going down the street

Last edited by PhillySoldier; 02-06-2019 at 05:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes & speeds - Pennsylvania and West Virginia