General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes & speeds - Pennsylvania and West Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 04:44 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Loud pipes & speeds - Pennsylvania and West Virginia

Especially with out-of-state license plates.

My Sporty has V&H Big Radius pipes. I will be taking trips to PA & WV this year and was wondering if police in those states crack down on loud pipes? Generally speaking, of course, I realize every cop and situation is different.

Again, generally speaking, are police in these two states strict with speed limits? I'm not talking about going riding like an idiot. Where I live, provincial (state) police tend to leave you alone when you travel 20 km/h (12 mph) over the posted speed and municipal police don't bother you up to 15 km/h (10 mph) over the posted speed. Maybe we just have it good here. I ask because I've heard from a few different sources that Tennessee police show zero tolerance to outsiders.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:02 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 669 Posts

If you don't ride like an idiot, revving your bike at stops or gunning it away from every light, your pipes probably won't be an issue. As far as speed, keep it within 7-8 mph of the limit on main roads and you should be OK, but lots of small town cops love to ticket out of state riders (and drivers) for anything. Going through small towns, I always do a little UNDER the limit and come to a FULL stop at stop signs.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I ride all over PA and have been to WV for trips. I’ve always been told by locals that if the speed says 45 in a town, go 45. If it’s 30, go 30. If it’s 55, hell with it, feel free to open it up.

Never had an issue following this rule and have never been hassled about pipes....yet? (Don’t want to jinx myself).

For WV, another bit of advice that I picked up on several occasions was to stay on the hard pavement lol.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:44 PM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts

Tennessee enforces dot helmets

Old 02-01-2019, 06:05 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Down here in Florida you can get a ticket for loud pipes it happens a lot riding along Ocean A1A in certain Beach towns. If your riding easy you may not be effected but i have seen an heard of many bikers getting tickets for loud pipes.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Gizmo02
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in PA and every bike I have owned has had fairly loud pipes on them. Just pay attention and don't rev the crap out of your bike and you will be fine.
As to the speeds.....usually small towns etc where the limit is posted tend to me more diligent with enforcing them. Highways, turnpike etc people tend to do at least 10 above the limit.

I am originally from Canada. If you want to meet and do some riding when you are in PA, send me a msg.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:50 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

I've been running mildly loud pipes in Pa. since the early '70's. Never had a problem. However, in the small towns, if the limit is 25, do 25! In some of these small towns speeding tickets are their only source of income.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,710 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Originally Posted by joe40x
I've been running mildly loud pipes in Pa. since the early '70's. Never had a problem. However, in the small towns, if the limit is 25, do 25! In some of these small towns speeding tickets are their only source of income.
Makes me wonder what all those little speed trap towns going to do when we’re all forced into self driving cars, governed to never exceed the speed limit.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

I've lived in PA all my life, and agree with what everyone above said. The only thing I can add is watch out for potholes, especially if you're coming through in the spring. And the other thing is deer. They are as dumb as rocks but unlike rocks they'll jump right out in front of you.

The following users liked this post:
Bubba Zanetti (02-04-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I live in Ohio but can be in WV and PA within 20 minutes. I have the older Screaming Eagle slip ons and they aren't the quietest in the world. I've never had a problem in those states even with an out of state plate. There's lots of bikes around with drags so i dont think your pipes sre going to cause a problem for you. As far as speeding goes it's best not to because of the odd speed trap you'll run across. Once the speed limit goes past 55 mph the norm is most go 10 over minimum. The less attention you draw to yourself the better off you are.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes & speeds - Pennsylvania and West Virginia