General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 02:22 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
Living in the UK, our helmet laws are a lot more strict. We wouldn't get away with wearing some of the poor excuses for a helmet that you can get away with in the US.
I get the appeal of riding with no helmet. I rode through the Welsh mountains years ago without one, all back roads, no other traffic and 30mph and under, just taking in the stunning views. But that was a one off. Even if we had a choice not to wear one, most of my riding is at 60-90mph, and at those speeds it's just not worth the risk.

Hit a tree at 60 - 90 mph and see just what a helmet can do for you.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:31 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I wonder why motorcycle racers wear the best helmet they can afford?? Full face helmets at that! Never seen anyone racing wearing just a doo rag!

Racers don't buy them. Helmet manufactures pay them BIG $$$ to wear them.

The following users liked this post:
Sierra977 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
More than not wearing one.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:19 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 826 Posts

Here's a guy at the Springfield Mile hitting a concrete wall with his head at over 130 mph. He fully recovered to race again. Imagine that without a helmet on. I was at this race, btw.

BuzzCap7 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:28 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

Figure that visor would have been a jaw if not for the helmet.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:39 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

The NTHSB estimates the effectiveness of helmets at preventing fatalities at 36%, meaning 64% of the time they will fail to save your life.

Others put the effectiveness lower...generally around 29% or 30%, and claim that the NTHSB inflates their numbers for political reasons.

Wearing a helmet when you crash is almost always better than not wearing a helmet, but not crashing is infinitely more important than wearing a helmet.

BuzzCap7 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:22 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraRacer
There are several reasons that there is more of a need for a helmet these days. I deliver all over the country and I have said for 7 years now that the number of cars and trucks on the road have skyrocketed in the last 20 years and they are dumber and more aggressive than ever. When I was in the rehab hospital for 3 months from my wreck I was outside with a therapist and said to myself that I might have to move to a small town like this if I am ever going to ride all of the time like I used to.Unfortunately because of issues like those mentioned above it is basically like we are playing the video game "frogger" every time we ride in a larger city.
Regarding the latter part of your post above and frogger.....have you read me signature lately? I hear you my friend, I hear you.

Ask your Doc next time you are in how many people are killed each year by negligent doctors and hospitals. Be sure to wait for an answer. By the way the 300% figure is pure bullshit.
ABSOLUTELY BIG TIME!!!! Anytime I hear those stat's it is like MIND BOGGLING!!!!! But that is another matter. Scary isn't it? This doc BTW is an ophthalmologist so I suspect the real culprits statistically will not be them.

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Here's a guy at the Springfield Mile hitting a concrete wall with his head at over 130 mph. He fully recovered to race again. Imagine that without a helmet on. I was at this race, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADM4G1z-iao
RIGHT! That reminds me of "don't confuse me with the facts" line of thinking. Yuppes, it is better to be wearing a noggin protector. And I wonder how many who did not wear a helmet lived to say they wish they DID wear one. Huh...

Old 02-04-2019, 05:11 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
The NTHSB estimates the effectiveness of helmets at preventing fatalities at 36%, meaning 64% of the time they will fail to save your life.

Others put the effectiveness lower...generally around 29% or 30%, and claim that the NTHSB inflates their numbers for political reasons.

Wearing a helmet when you crash is almost always better than not wearing a helmet, but not crashing is infinitely more important than wearing a helmet.
Agreed but if something like fuel went up in price by 30% or interest rates for that matter people would take notice. 30% sounds low because of the delivery. I dont know what 30% translates into regarding number of lives saved but if its one is that bad?

Old 02-04-2019, 05:23 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Agreed but if something like fuel went up in price by 30% or interest rates for that matter people would take notice. 30% sounds low because of the delivery. I dont know what 30% translates into regarding number of lives saved but if its one is that bad?
Not at all. I just bring a different perspective to this. In my view, helmets are largely the last thing I think about when it comes to safety. Too often, I see people saying (in so many words) that motorcycle safety is about helmets/gear/etc. I think that's foolish.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:56 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Not at all. I just bring a different perspective to this. In my view, helmets are largely the last thing I think about when it comes to safety. Too often, I see people saying (in so many words) that motorcycle safety is about helmets/gear/etc. I think that's foolish.
I apologize in advance, but there is no way that I can understand why someone would say that. It is exactly the wrong signal to send to young riders. I get it, that you believe that motorcycle safety is more than wearing a helmet, and I agree with that statement.

Last edited by BobRR; 02-04-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.