General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:27 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus

Don’t think a helmet saved this guy either

Wiz Out ��
Nope! Darwin looked after him instead and there's no avoiding that.

Last edited by hellonewman; 02-05-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,525 Likes on 6,893 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I wear one because my wife tells me I must.
I really don't care one way or the other.
What would Sophie do? Bet she's a no helmet kind of girl.
Probably: xx

Old 02-05-2019, 07:02 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,849 Likes on 900 Posts

There is no absolute in a helmet, just as there is no absolute without.

We wear them for head and eye protection, for noise reduction, and because they contain our audio/comms gear. And for some reason, the few times I've ridden without a helmet I didn't notice any extra enjoyment in having my head uncovered. I always figure 2 things: ride conservatively and smart to avoid accidents, and protective gear may help mitigate injuries if things go wrong. I don't worry about or judge people who do it differently than we do.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 07:10 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
I am PRO CHOICE pretty much EVERYTHING! Helmets, pregnancy, firearms, etc... I DETEST the gov or ANYONE telling me what I can and can not do.

Having said that, I just came back from my annual ophthalmologist appt. He does emergency coverage for 2 of the major (large) hospital emergency rooms in Palm Beach & Broward counties.

He asked me if I wear a helmet when I ride. I said "always.". He said good. Then followed up with an "off the cuff" remark (NOT in a condescending way at all) he said matter of factly, that when Florida passed the law riding with a helmet is optional for whatever age it is and above, his calls to the ER for bike related accidents (be it damage he had to fix or as a consult) went up 300%.

This thread is not meant to be another long drawn out discussion about helmets for the bazillionth time. It is just an interesting "fact" to note. His staff figured the numbers on his call outs over the years. A 300% increase for bike related issues.

Huh..........
You can't make a post about helmets without someone getting on your case. Just too controversial of a subject.

Besides that without knowing the real numbers your Opthmoligists statement is meaningless. If he was called out once in the prior year and three times after the helmet law went into effect, that's a 300% increase, but the numbers are so small to be statistically insignificant

Also he is an eye surgeon, not a brain surgeon. well OK maybe heads are getting smashed enough for eyes to get damaged. But did you ask your gynecologist if she got called out more after the helmet law changed?

Old 02-05-2019, 10:22 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

I wear one because my wife tells me I must.
I really don't care one way or the other.
I suspect she has some kind of "protection". <grin>

Originally Posted by VAFish
You can't make a post about helmets without someone getting on your case. Just too controversial of a subject.

Besides that without knowing the real numbers your Opthmoligists statement is meaningless. If he was called out once in the prior year and three times after the helmet law went into effect, that's a 300% increase, but the numbers are so small to be statistically insignificant

Also he is an eye surgeon, not a brain surgeon. well OK maybe heads are getting smashed enough for eyes to get damaged. But did you ask your gynecologist if she got called out more after the helmet law changed?
VAF, I hear you. I don't think anyone really got on my case above. Well maybe but nothing scorching.

It was an off the cuff remark my ophthalmologist said that I thought was interesting. I did not mean this post to be an super in depth 30 year analysis by the FBI/CIA/Nat'l Transportation Board.

Surprisingly to me my friend, it is a bit interesting what people are saying and how many posts this simple off the cuff remark has provoked. I certainly did not mean to create such a stir.

It is like sticking a stick into a beehive. I will not do this again.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM
CobraRacer
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 40 Posts

It is sad that when there is a helmet discussion it becomes for some people a who's is bigger argument. I can only speak for myself, but I think a large number of people responding to this thread are just discussing their own experiences with them, a family member, a wreck they saw, a wreck on the news in their city, etc.

A NFL example would be where a receiver get's the hell knocked out of him a concussion only comes up if it is a helmet to helmet or the players head slams into the ground.
Helmets on a motorcycle are the same discussion, we have all seen someone go too wide on a turn (like a on-ramp with a curve) and hit the sand and wipe out. If they don't hit there head on the concrete or a tree we aren't running over to them thinking it is a concussion situation. I have seen a rider hit a car that pulls out right in front of them flip over the car and not hit their head on anything. in that case it was some broken bones and a whiplash.

I saw a guy 4 years ago on a touring bike that wasn't paying attention and the vehicle in front of the truck he was behind slowed down to turn right on a street. He locked up the brakes and slid into the back of the truck and his head nailed the bumper and then his head nailed the pavement. The truck was a old truck with a bumper that looked like a steel beam from a building. Without that helmet in my opinion he is either dead or he has a severe concussion or a TBI.

Last edited by CobraRacer; 02-05-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:29 AM
vankaye
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

I have hit my head on concrete [both] with and without a helmet.... While I was upset to scratch my expensive Shoei helmet let me tell you which one I prefer...

Old 02-05-2019, 02:44 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,924 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by vankaye
I have hit my head on concrete [both] with and without a helmet.... While I was upset to scratch my expensive Shoei helmet let me tell you which one I prefer...
If that's your helmet how do you keep from tipping over?

Old 02-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I don’t know man, she was taking a big rubber helmet head on the end of a machine and looked like she was just fine with it lol xx

Old 02-05-2019, 04:26 PM
Ironhandjohn
Tourer
Received 312 Likes on 124 Posts

I’m a big believer in the freedom to choose whether or not to wear a helmet or seat belt, but I’m also a big believer in tipping the odds in my favor whenever possible.

I’m alive because in 1987 a Bell 500 3/4 helmet gave itself to protect my head, after I was run off the road by a drunk driver. The shell cracked along the seam and I did get a mild concussion, but, given the severity of the crash, ‘closed casket’ would have been the alternative if I hadn’t been wearing it.

I wish I’d been wearing my full-face helmet, because my mother was the one who picked the gravel and broken glass out of my cheek and wrist in the ER. They were packed that day and I was deemed ‘the least likely to die right now’, so it was hours(I think) before I saw a doctor.

Quick Reply: Helmet again........and don't get on MY case.