General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 Cases Splits for M1450

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 AM
540CVO18
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default M8 Cases Splits for M1450

Hello everyone,

I few weeks ago, my new 2018 CVO Stock 117" (No Stage Upgrades) Gun Ship Gray Street Glide with only 1,400 mile on it showed every sign of sumping. It had about 1/2 the power, a smell of oil and if you let off of the throttle, it was like a jake brake on a truck. So I took it to the dealership and they test rode the motorcycle and said they new what the problem was. I had never heard of sumping before that day. I have owned more than a dozen new Harley's over the years and 3 of them being CVO's. The HD shop was going to follow the guide lines in the SB1450. So, the top end was removed and in the process of doing so, they broke a bolt. Trying to remove the bolt, the tool being used to remove the broken bolt broke and got stuck in the right side case. After removing the tool from the case, it was obvious that there was some damage to the case, but they still tried to tap the hole. The hole could not be tapped with new treads so they got the MoCo involved. I kinda thought that they would replace the motor, but NO. They are replacing the right side case on a brand new 40K motorcycle.

They have offered to install a Stage 3 Kit at 20% off parts and no labor fees. I really didn't think about it, I just gave the green light to do the work., But after a few days of thinking about this. I fell like they are still making money off of there screw up. I wasn't going to put any more money in this motorcycle this year and maybe not even next year. But to get a stage 3 installed with out the labor charges sounded pretty good at that time. To be very clear, I'd pay for the stage 3 kit but I fell like it should be a cost. No profit,.. No markup at all... I do not fell like it is fair for the HD dealership to profit on the parts when they caused the problems. They damaged the right side case and I don;'t want them to make one dollar off of me because of this.

Now, I wondering if there screw up and the changing out of the right side case, will show up on the HD computer system and have a negative impact on the value of my motorcycle. Resale or trade in, will this effect the value of the bike? Any body have any solid advise?

Thanks, Jeff

Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

I would say you need a lawyer.
I can only imagine what you are going to have when their mechanic finishes.

First he snaps a bolt in a new engine. Then he brakes off a tap trying to clean up his mess.

​​​​​​You have enough pictures (I am surprised they let you capature them) to politely go up the chain to get a motor.

I would be polite and tell the owner you do not have faith in their mechanics ability.

Know it's a low blow to him but it's your 40k.
When it leaks oil out of the block seam, you are going to be pissed later (if it does)

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-20-2019 at 09:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (07-12-2021)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:38 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,815 Likes on 6,220 Posts

I would worry more about the quality of the work, if they can't remove or tap a hole for a bolt, but at least they are honest about it.
That would have been easy to bury without you knowing.
What bolt goes in a 13/64" tapped hole anyway?

The following users liked this post:
540CVO18 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:39 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I have to respectfully disagree. The dealer broke the bolt on the tappet cuff (more of a common problem), the dealer and the moco stepped up to make it right by replacing the right side case. That’s where their obligation ends. They made a good faith offer to the OP to install the stage 3 kit at a discount for the parts. I think this is simply because they’re getting paid for the labor through the warranty claim for the tear down.

OP - if you’re not happy with paying for the stage 3 then tell them to cancel it. But in no way should the dealer give you the parts for free. Again, they’re fixing what they broke and will make it whole again. The resale value will not be affected by the new case.

The following 9 users liked this post by purpledeuce:
bigal51 (02-20-2019), Bluesrider.df (03-03-2019), Chasingdrakes (07-11-2021), GREENOHAWK69 (02-21-2019), Halojumper (04-03-2024), lh4x4 (03-01-2019), Prot (07-11-2021), tmcguire17 (11-20-2019), Tony P (02-20-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:47 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RHPAW
I would worry more about the quality of the work, if they can't remove or tap a hole for a bolt, but at least they are honest about it.
That would have been easy to bury without you knowing.
What bolt goes in a 13/64" tapped hole anyway?

That's a tap. 1/4-20. It calls for that size tap drill. Problem is they broke a bolt. Threads where already there. They tried to drill out core of bolt and then tap out remaining. Next to impossible in aluminum since it is softer then steel bolt threads left in.

Only fix now would be to helicoil or a thread insert. Done right, would be better then new.
Still takes experience and good tools.
Most mechanics are wrechers, not machinist.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-20-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:52 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,172 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I respectfully disagree. MoCo gets the final say on how they go about correcting the problem. There is no case unless the bike is delivered to the customer without the problem being corrected, or new problems being introduced during the repairs and delivered to the customer with said problems present. How the repairs are made are at the MoCo's discretion. This is true of any warranty. They are only obligated to provide remedy.
Originally Posted by purpledeuce

I have to respectfully disagree. The dealer broke the bolt on the tappet cuff (more of a common problem), the dealer and the moco stepped up to make it right by replacing the right side case. That’s where their obligation ends. They made a good faith offer to the OP to install the stage 3 kit at a discount for the parts. I think this is simply because they’re getting paid for the labor through the warranty claim for the tear down.

OP - if you’re not happy with paying for the stage 3 then tell them to cancel it. But in no way should the dealer give you the parts for free. Again, they’re fixing what they broke and will make it whole again. The resale value will not be affected by the new case.
This I agree with.

OP, as stated above that bolt breaking is a common occurrence. The tap breaking isn't uncommon either. As somebody stated in another one of your threads (why?), replacing a case half isn't really that big of a deal. These motors are modular and easy to work on. Let them do their thing and if you aren't satisfied with the results, make a case of it.

As for devaluing your bike, that isn't likely. Best of luck with the repairs.

The following 3 users liked this post by strych9:
540CVO18 (02-20-2019), GREENOHAWK69 (02-21-2019), Tony P (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:54 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Why would you want a junk HD Stage kit. If your not happy demand a new bike and be prepared to lawyer up. You are getting the same advice in this forum section that your getting in the M8 section. You guys come on here asking for advice and when it's not what you want you start posting everywhere. Go sit down and have a talk with the owner and service manager with your concern's
and be a Man.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 AM
540CVO18
Advanced

To be very clear, I am not asking for any thing for free. But at a 20% discount on the parts, the dealership is still making money on the parts. Labor is going to be paid by the MOCO. Why should I have to pay any more than what the parts cost? No profit... No markup on the parts.

After all, the dealership made one problem a bigger problem. I appreciate their honesty and being transparent with me about breaking the bolt. I have always trusted this dealership and that's why the bike is there for warrantee repair. But in this case, is it fair to me for them to make a dollar off of the sale of some parts?

Last edited by 540CVO18; 02-20-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:05 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Reason I said what I said comes from 46 years in the machine shop world.
FP could be wrong about them only replacing 1/2. I just know you cannot buy a half. And I assume it was because some operations on their finial machining was as a assembly of the two halfs.

I did not catch the part on what FP was trying to get. I agree, upgrade is separate from warranty. As long as putting back so called upgrade parts does not involve extra labor for mechanic, labor should be free .
Not the dealer profit on parts.

And if they can successful repair hole or replace , that would not reflect on future value.
I think any marking as to VIN would be updated to new case if necessary.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-20-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:06 AM
540CVO18
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbob
Why would you want a junk HD Stage kit. If your not happy demand a new bike and be prepared to lawyer up. You are getting the same advice in this forum section that your getting in the M8 section. You guys come on here asking for advice and when it's not what you want you start posting everywhere. Go sit down and have a talk with the owner and service manager with your concern's
and be a Man.
Thanks for your kind words tbob...

Quick Reply: M8 Cases Splits for M1450