General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discount ESP Bad Experience.. advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:24 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

i copied this from another thread i am not sure Jim Palmer is obligated to respond to every insult thrown his way.
Boardtracker is closed and discount ESP is open so they may not be the same thing.

Posted today on Discount ESP's Facebook page:
Boardtracker Harley-Davidson is temporarily closed while they bring in a new management team. This closing will not impact any of the contracts which have been purchased through Discount ESP.

All my clients with CornerStone contracts and First Extended/Assurant Contracts are valid. The coverage is backed by the administrators and the insurance companies.

I've been assisting riders with their ESP coverage for over 12 years. We ran this successful program before Boardtracker HD and will continue to do so with a goal of consistently improving the coverage offering.
Our goal is to provide riders across the country, a resource to purchase mechanical breakdown coverage at an affordable price. My goal now is to address the impact aftermarket accessories play on the factory warranty. Riders should be able to customize their motorcycles WITHOUT losing powertrain coverage.

More to come very soon!

Happy Easter and enjoy the ride!

Jim Palmer
jim@discountesp.com

Old 04-23-2019, 09:24 AM
GBHH
Road Master
Received 490 Likes on 272 Posts

I am very distrustful of insurance companies. You can pay them for many, many years and when the rain comes, get lies, poor service, claim denials, incompetence. Who needs a legal battle against a company w/ deep pockets? I can credit Allstate for my attitude on insurance. I always suspected these ESP companies would not pay, citing some B.S. reason.
An insurance co. should be selected with care and some research. I like having a trusted broker, who has some clout. A denial of an ESP claim for the nonsense cited, adds salt to an already open wound. Tell everyone who will listen.

The following users liked this post:
16Slim (06-06-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 05:56 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

To the OP: thank you for taking the time to warn others of this scam.
My 24 month coverage is just about up and I was just about to pull the trigger with this ESP.

Now I'm self ensured which is the way I should have gone to begin with.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:49 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,018 Likes on 1,663 Posts

fyi... They just covered a claim I made. Bought the ESP last May.. Thought it would be dicey, but went smooth... for what's it worth

Old 04-25-2019, 08:09 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
If you want to know about a possible scam in the future, just go to OMAHA here. He found out a lot of information about the links between Discount.ESP, Boardtracker HD , First Extended, and JHD Holdings, Inc. I don't know how he did it, but I applaud his researching skills. Well done OMAHA.
Appreciate the kind words.

FWIW, you can learn all kinds of things by calling the relevant state offices. Just say "I'm a citizen and have this question. Is that information public record?" You'd be amazed at how helpful random bureaucrats can be when you know how to ask.

What I was curious about was this: When you buy a warranty from Discount ESP, what specific legal entity do you have a contract with? There can only be one. So who is it?

That should be a simple question, and it means everything. That guy from the other thread could sell me a warranty backed by his SSI income. What's that worth? Any contract is only as good as the capacity of the other party to honor it, as well as their character to actually do so.

I started because it felt like DiscountESP.com was playing hide the ball with that information. My sense of Jim Palmer is he's a smooth ****** who will say whatever it takes.

Edit: The word being inexplicably censored is T...A...L...K...E...R

Last edited by 0maha; 04-25-2019 at 08:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
P51Driver (09-07-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 02:59 AM
leechisung
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My claim was denied for same cam lifter issue.

Hi Jim

I’m not sure if you remember me as you and I exchanged emails regarding my claim on Apr 11th.

My 2017 Low Rider S, had same cam lift failure, my claim was denied. I called and asked to speak with you but I was transferred to claims dept. After reading this long 12 pages of trail, I am quite concerned. My denial reason over the phone was “pre existing condition”
Myself and Mitchell’s Harley Davidson are both in disbelief since nobody from Discount ESP or First Extended never came out to see the bike. Anyways, Ms. Kathy Arquette said “we are checking on this” and that was two days ago. (4/26/2019) which is the same day claims department called Mitchell’s Harley Davidson to deny the claim.

Would you mind looking into this?

Thank you

Chisung Lee

Originally Posted by JimPalmer
Riders & Current Clients,

I’ve been specializing in Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Extended Service Plans since 2006. Over the past 12+ years, I’ve been able to assist thousands of riders get the right protection at huge savings. I remember my first call from a Texas rider who was being offered the H-D ESP for $4,200—the regular HD price was $1700(est) at that time. Helping this rider to get treated fairly set the groundwork for Discount ESP.

Around 2008, we were instructed not to sell the H-D 3rd party plan, administered by CNA, online or at a discount, because it wasn’t fair to the other dealers who wanted to charge more money. Over 3 months of research, I found an administrator who offered similar mechanical coverage and allows riders to purchase the contract at a fair price.

We are continuously working to improve the process: enrollment, claims, contract servicing, ect. I remember having to fax or email each contract to be completed by hand. The website was created to allow the coverage information to be reviewed prior to purchase. Enrollment is completed securely online, and the claims are administrated by First Extended who is now owned by Assurant. Discount ESP or Boardtracker Harley-Davidson doesn’t dictate what is approved or declined—the contract does that.

Throughout my involvement with this industry, I’ve seen countless riders get their bikes repaired with little or no out of pocket expense. The Factory Warranty nor this Extended Service Plan covers all the components of the motorcycle and there are scenarios where the rider will have to bear the cost of repairs.

The administrator’s claims department does their best to take the information from the repair facility and the inspector’s report for the approval or decline. This process is the same for nearly all extended service plans on the market. Communication by the repair facility and the adjuster is very important.

For my current and future clients, we are here to help with your mechanical protection. I’ll follow up with this specific claim—as with most scenarios, there are usually more information and details available. The dealership in New Berlin is owned by the same party as Boardtracker; however, this article isn’t depicting the full story. All current and future clients’ coverage is valid & valuable. The contract will provide mechanical coverage and it’s my mission to ensure this takes place.

Here to help and feel free to email me directly: jim@discountesp.com

Jim Palmer

Old 04-26-2019, 03:08 AM
leechisung
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i have a same bike, same issue, denied

I have 2017 low rider s, 29k miles. I have same cam lifter issue. Cost of repair is $5887. My denial reason was “pre existing condition”

Originally Posted by jlopez731
Agreed. With everything. I agree with you.

Just remember the power Discount ESP has with this agreement and how easy it would be to put you in the same position as myself.

Nothing you can do about it!
Your bike will be gone for a long time.

I have to save up $$ to pay for repairs to get my bike back. Won’t be for a couple months.

Oh and just to clarify again, in my case, the inspector noted no signs of abuse. Just material failure of the lifter which is what truthfully happened. The truth. I was riding to work with a buddy, on cruise control, cruising... and my bike broke down. They covered it at first, no problem.. I was just like you... same opinion and same perspective.. happy life, happy bike.

And then they came up with a bunch of baloney when they saw the cost of the additional repairs when more damage was found by the technician. And they claimed I abused my motorcycle. Why? Well to get out of obligation, to save money or for ***** and giggles...idk.. who knows?

But now I’m ****ed and there’s nothing anyone can do to change that. My dealership knew they were full of ****. The tech, the inspector, the advisor even the service manager.. I would’ve been covered under factory warranty... hands down. No doubt about it.

Posting here was initially to gain perspective from fellow riders.. and get some advice... but when all the bullshit was being stirred and discount esp created new lies and different stories every new day.. I researched and learned about them and posting here helped me to inform everyone what they can and will do.

Try giving Jim Palmer a call. See what happens. You’ll get transferred away from the dealership to a customer service company or an administration line. He pays a turnkey company, Assurant, who provides him with two companies. First Extended, A third party administrative service, (customer service, claims, supervisors, adjusters etc) and Virginia Surety Co. (Back-up insurance company for appeals, complaints, etc)

All they do is gather information and handle everything for him. And then forwards all of that to Jim Palmer who sits back, works from home and then “advises” Assurant on what to do and how to proceed from there.

So he gets to say Yes or No.
if yes, he pays. (JHD Holdings)
If no, he doesn’t pay!

Assurant will let you know his decision.

And if it’s unfair to you.. you’ll want to appeal.

You’re ****ed.
They will pull strings your strings and play you like a toy.
They will watch you chase your tail. Jumping through hoops and following their procedures.

I’m here to hopefully put a stop to that.

Did you know in my claim I had to verbally ask for a supervisor? The customer service representative said you will need to speak to a supervisor to escalate. It’s beyond my control I wish I could help but even though I agree with you I’m just customer service. No authority.

I said ok ok that sounds nice.

She said no you have to actually say the words. “I’d like to speak to a supervisor”

!!!!

Hahaha oh man. This is all shady business.

Just google First Extended Service Corp or Virginia Surety co. Do some simple simple research. In two minutes you’ll know where I’m coming from. And thousands of others.

Be wary!

It’s a scam.

Last edited by leechisung; 04-26-2019 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Spell error
Old 04-26-2019, 05:02 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Appreciate the kind words.

FWIW, you can learn all kinds of things by calling the relevant state offices. Just say "I'm a citizen and have this question. Is that information public record?" You'd be amazed at how helpful random bureaucrats can be when you know how to ask.

What I was curious about was this: When you buy a warranty from Discount ESP, what specific legal entity do you have a contract with? There can only be one. So who is it?

That should be a simple question, and it means everything. That guy from the other thread could sell me a warranty backed by his SSI income. What's that worth? Any contract is only as good as the capacity of the other party to honor it, as well as their character to actually do so.

I started because it felt like DiscountESP.com was playing hide the ball with that information. My sense of Jim Palmer is he's a smooth ****** who will say whatever it takes.

Edit: The word being inexplicably censored is T...A...L...K...E...R
As I recall, Jim Palmer started out selling Cornerstone or CNA policies, I think. Somebody here correct me if I'm wrong, please. It would be nice to know the genesis of this story.

At some point, Palmer could no longer sell Cornerstone policies. I don't know if Harley made him stop, or some State Insurance Commissions stopped the sale of Cornerstone policies in their States, like FLorida did. This info could tell us a lot too.

Did Palmer suddenly realize that he could have a nice side gig selling policies at a Discount rate? If so, I applaud his entrepreneurial skills. Was he an F&I man at Boardtracker and saw this opportunity for himself? If so, why did Boardtracker still keep him employed if he was, in effect, competing against them for warranty sales? Could it be that the management at Boardtracker realized that they could make a bigger margin selling insurance policies THEMSELVES than Harley Davidson was paying them for selling Harley’s policies, and thus they retained Palmer to be THEIR dedicated Insurance sales guy?

That Palmer/Boardtracker relationship has always puzzled me. Know the full story would probably enlighten us all to the existing situation now, and going forward.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:13 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,018 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Originally Posted by leechisung
Hi Jim

I’m not sure if you remember me as you and I exchanged emails regarding my claim on Apr 11th.

My 2017 Low Rider S, had same cam lift failure, my claim was denied. I called and asked to speak with you but I was transferred to claims dept. After reading this long 12 pages of trail, I am quite concerned. My denial reason over the phone was “pre existing condition”
Myself and Mitchell’s Harley Davidson are both in disbelief since nobody from Discount ESP or First Extended never came out to see the bike. Anyways, Ms. Kathy Arquette said “we are checking on this” and that was two days ago. (4/26/2019) which is the same day claims department called Mitchell’s Harley Davidson to deny the claim.

Would you mind looking into this?

Thank you

Chisung Lee
You might try this email (if he doesn't respond), he responded within a day..
sales@discountesp.com

Old 04-26-2019, 07:22 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Extended service plans are a waste of money anyway. Most third party ESPs are a scam, Consumer Reports recommends putting money aside in savings to cover maintenance costs. Consumer reports shows about 55% never make claims and of the rest, the reimbursement averages $900 and average cost of ESP is $1300. Damn, I think I'll start up an ESP! LMFAO!

So now you know another reason not to buy an ESP, pretty much nothing you can do if they deny the claim.

Quick Reply: Discount ESP Bad Experience.. advice?