General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price check: 1981 FXB Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:15 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,190 Likes on 5,617 Posts

No idea on the value but the Sturgis is my all time favorite HD. I have wanted one since I was a kid. Keep it man.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:50 PM
MT-81FXB
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the responses, folks! To be clear, I never thought I was sitting on a gold mine with a bike going north of $10,000. I had absolutely no idea how much it was likely worth, and the NADA was the only source I knew about. That said, I also knew that NADA could be all over the place, and that's what brought me here.

I've held onto the bike since his passing just to be sure I wasn't making a rash decision by parting with it. I rode it exactly once last year, and not at all the previous year. The bike stills turns heads and gets comments when I do take it for a spin around town. There's no way I'd take $3500 for it, and a low ball offer would only mean that I'd keep it around in my shop. I know it's not a collector piece but like one person said, it still looks like the original Sturgis.

I'm in Helena, MT and it will likely go for sale locally this spring. I really appreciate you all weighing in with your opinions. You've assisted in exactly how I was hoping.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 05:14 PM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

we are just jealous of your problem.
when you are ready to set a price there is a classified section of this forum. many potential buyers.

someone might just happen to be planning a trip your way. with a trailer. and some green stuff.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:38 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,448 Likes on 616 Posts

Pretty sure this was first dual belt drive that should have a belt drive dry primary
Originally Posted by hdbob2006
First 'modern' belt drive. They used belt drive on the earliest,1903-up.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by MT-81FXB
Thanks for all of the responses, folks! To be clear, I never thought I was sitting on a gold mine with a bike going north of $10,000. I had absolutely no idea how much it was likely worth, and the NADA was the only source I knew about. That said, I also knew that NADA could be all over the place, and that's what brought me here.

I've held onto the bike since his passing just to be sure I wasn't making a rash decision by parting with it. I rode it exactly once last year, and not at all the previous year. The bike stills turns heads and gets comments when I do take it for a spin around town. There's no way I'd take $3500 for it, and a low ball offer would only mean that I'd keep it around in my shop. I know it's not a collector piece but like one person said, it still looks like the original Sturgis.

I'm in Helena, MT and it will likely go for sale locally this spring. I really appreciate you all weighing in with your opinions. You've assisted in exactly how I was hoping.
Good for you, I detest low ballers. Spent a couple years hustling bikes & parts at swap meets got so you could see them coming before they ever opened their mouths.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:26 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Hell if ya weren't so far away I'd trade you straight up for my 1993 Heritage Classic and you could jump on it, push the button and ride it all day long.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by MT-81FXB

I like the idea of keeping it around ... You'd have a "remembrance" of your brother and a scooter that would always have someone "eyeballing" it whenever you took it out for a ride ... No way I'd sell that for $3500.00

AJSHOVEL (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:07 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Paintslinger16
Pretty sure this was first dual belt drive that should have a belt drive dry primary
Yep,I remember wanting one really bad when they came out. I settled for a belt primary kit for my '77 fxe at the time.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:29 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,346 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Good for you, I detest low ballers. Spent a couple years hustling bikes & parts at swap meets got so you could see them coming before they ever opened their mouths.
You can't take it personal. I tend to be a low baller and I get a lot of good deals. I also don't take it personal when people don't accept my offer and come back with something higher. I'm often prepared to go much higher, but I generally try initially for a deal.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
You can't take it personal. I tend to be a low baller and I get a lot of good deals. I also don't take it personal when people don't accept my offer and come back with something higher. I'm often prepared to go much higher, but I generally try initially for a deal.
Some stuff yeah you deal others you make it plain price is fixed so don't bother. After several years of playing the swapmeet games on both sides you get an eye for the guys who are determined to beat you up just because it's a power game with them.

Put about 7K used price worth of commercial grade welding gear up for sale, some of it still new and wrapped for $2500 firm and told everyone price was non negotiable before they made the trip. Didn't matter, 1/2 dozen clowns showed we'd do the dance. Real prize showed, talked for a 1/2hr had to open and unwrap everything talked a steady stream trying to devalue everything and offers me $800. Nope, we"re done your leaving, oh no he ups the fast talk and is trying to push the money on me, after the 4th time and I mean 4 times clearly asking him to leave I took a small dry chem fire extinguisher and hosed his *** down. Cleaning the mess up was worth the look on his face.

J_MOSH (03-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Price check: 1981 FXB Sturgis