General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recording sound with cell phone? Wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Recording sound with cell phone? Wind noise?

I am trying to record the sound of my pipes while riding my bike. I only have a cell phone. I strapped it to the passenger pillion. The problem I am having is, once I get up to speed, the wind noise is much to loud. Can anyone give me some tips on how to record the sound of my pipes, using only a cell phone, and not have any wind noise?

Old 03-14-2019, 02:04 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Put your phone in a sock, it will absorb the sound of the wind. If there’s red bands around the top, that’s even better as the red color adds a little more clarity over the blue stripes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cygnusx51:
Mxdad (03-14-2019), RANGER73 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 02:35 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,664 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Put your phone in a sock, it will absorb the sound of the wind. If there’s red bands around the top, that’s even better as the red color adds a little more clarity over the blue stripes.
The trick with the sock is to put it in the right side exhaust. You'll get the most accurate recorded tone, and the sock insulates it from harsh vibrations.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:59 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Some members like to get on my case for asking a question and then answering it myself. Well, this thread is a good example of why I do that.

Here is a youtube video that I found that gives a possible solution...

Old 03-15-2019, 12:14 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,590 Likes on 741 Posts

Due to the nature of voice transmission being in a narrow portion of the entire audio band, cell phone mic’s have a frequency cutoff at below 300 Hz. This is so you don’t waste unnecessary bandwidth transmitting sound that is outside of the ‘intelligible’ portion of the audio spectrum. This means a lot of the low end rumble and throaty sounds of your pipes won’t be recorded properly. A $30 digital pocket recorder will perform much much better than a cellphone, just suspend it with the mic facing backwards away from the wind near your pipes. A small mesh bag filled with dryer lint or dog hair placed over the recorder’s mic will break up any residual wind noise.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ride my Seesaw:
BobRR (03-15-2019), Dynamick (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 08:18 AM
BobRR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
Due to the nature of voice transmission being in a narrow portion of the entire audio band, cell phone mic’s have a frequency cutoff at below 300 Hz. This is so you don’t waste unnecessary bandwidth transmitting sound that is outside of the ‘intelligible’ portion of the audio spectrum. This means a lot of the low end rumble and throaty sounds of your pipes won’t be recorded properly. A $30 digital pocket recorder will perform much much better than a cellphone, just suspend it with the mic facing backwards away from the wind near your pipes. A small mesh bag filled with dryer lint or dog hair placed over the recorder’s mic will break up any residual wind noise.
I am using Samsung Voice Recorder. The low frequency cutoff appears to be much below 300 Hz WHEN RECORDING. Here are two spectrograms of a RECORDING I made yesterday.

Full Spectrogram, not zoomed.

Zoomed spectrogram. Cutoff frequency when RECORDING appears to be below 50Hz. You can see the "ringing" caused by the wind when the bike is moving.

These spectrograms are from the recording I posted to the classified ads forum yesterday.

YOU DO HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE AUDIO ON A SET OF GOOD SPEAKERS, like on your computer. When you LISTEN on your cell phone you do lose all the low frequencies. But the low frequencies are recorded, you just have to playback on a set of good speakers.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...l#post18104738

Last edited by BobRR; 03-15-2019 at 08:32 AM.