General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So much hate.... (FXDR, V-ROD, LiveWire, etc...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:27 PM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser
Received 149 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Summer is almost here and all of that can just be talk while we're out riding!
Amen!

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:30 PM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser
Received 149 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider0151

THe ones I have seen (FXDR) that guys have started modifying look bad as hell. I think its a solid platform for those of us that like lowered, big tire, big hp with drag bars type of bike...I REALLY dig it more and more as time goes on...I just hope that the companies continues to promote it.
I am trying to figure out how to put shark fins on mine....

soldierbot (03-19-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 06:41 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

......shade thrown? did we break the internet and make twitter erupt?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 PM
PCboiler
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 190 Posts

No hate here... ride on brother!
I’m usually amazed at how much people bang on other bikes. And on the MOCO...
Many styles for many tastes...

pc

Old 03-18-2019, 08:56 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
....ummmm an XDiavel is between 22 - 25 grand depending on whether you get the "S" model and any upgrade components are PHENOMENALLY expensive as is maintenance, makes Harley look generic as far as prices go...(exhaust is 4 grand, tuneup is 1200 buxs, belt replacement is 800 bucks). I would love an XDiavel, however there are reliability concerns, support concerns (there are VERY FEW Duc dealers especially when compared to Harley), and most aftermarket parts come from overseas....jsut an FYI...before you think thats the way better solution I own a Ducati and have been there and done that....

This is a really good point. Harleys, despite the bashing they take, are pretty simple, reliable machines with an unmatched dealer network. I was just reading in the BMWMOA monthly magazine, ON,about the expense of maintaining a new BMW. I'm not sure what model it was, - I;ll assume a K1600 variant, but his annual service was over a thousand bucks. And as you point out, a Ducati will be even more.

Again, I've ridden the FXDR. I actually liked it more than I thought I would. It's a fun bike that moves out pretty good and handles decently. Not everyone needs a BMW or KTM, both of which need a little more maintenance, not to mention restraint.

RedRider0151 (03-21-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:22 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

New age. If I don't like your bike because I wanted something different, I must hate you and it?

Gotcha sweetpea.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:38 AM
spartan03
Tourer
Received 289 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
This is a really good point. Harleys, despite the bashing they take, are pretty simple, reliable machines with an unmatched dealer network. I was just reading in the BMWMOA monthly magazine, ON,about the expense of maintaining a new BMW. I'm not sure what model it was, - I;ll assume a K1600 variant, but his annual service was over a thousand bucks. And as you point out, a Ducati will be even more.

Again, I've ridden the FXDR. I actually liked it more than I thought I would. It's a fun bike that moves out pretty good and handles decently. Not everyone needs a BMW or KTM, both of which need a little more maintenance, not to mention restraint.
Not true. As you see from my garage picture, I have a smattering of each (and cycle through brands), including BMW (owned an R1200R prior to K1600). If someone says they are paying "over a thousand bucks" on annual service they are doing something different - maybe exaggerating? The BMW does have an expensive service at 18K miles to check the valves. Before buying the K1600 I had some concerns about that (cost for that particular total service is about $1200 - it is a 6 cylinder engine after all and not easy to get to). However, after the first 500 miles I decided that I would happily pay that for the immense pleasure that the bike provides. I have not found anything in the cruiser market even close in performance. Other annual expense is just the typical fluids - I pay for that because changing oil on that engine is a PITA....I will give him that.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:29 AM
Oilhed
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Well, yes, there's something you're missing, apparently. The Live Wire is close to 2X the cost of its nearest competitor. And the FXDR is laughingly promoted as a no compromise performance bike, when, again, you can get more performance and better handling from, say Ducati, again for probably 20% less.

So I can see your confusion if you're living in a Harley bubble.

Pretty simple, really.
that reason could easily be attributed to s Road Glide or EG Ultra. More performance for lest cost from a Gold Wing. I think it’s the core belief that any Harley should look and perform like a bike from 20, 40 years ago.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:33 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilhed
that reason could easily be attributed to s Road Glide or EG Ultra. More performance for lest cost from a Gold Wing. I think it’s the core belief that any Harley should look and perform like a bike from 20, 40 years ago.
Help me understand something: If you were in the market for an electric bike, you would pay TWICE the price to be on a Harley?

Old 03-19-2019, 07:56 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan03
Not true. As you see from my garage picture, I have a smattering of each (and cycle through brands), including BMW (owned an R1200R prior to K1600). If someone says they are paying "over a thousand bucks" on annual service they are doing something different - maybe exaggerating? The BMW does have an expensive service at 18K miles to check the valves. Before buying the K1600 I had some concerns about that (cost for that particular total service is about $1200 - it is a 6 cylinder engine after all and not easy to get to). However, after the first 500 miles I decided that I would happily pay that for the immense pleasure that the bike provides. I have not found anything in the cruiser market even close in performance. Other annual expense is just the typical fluids - I pay for that because changing oil on that engine is a PITA....I will give him that.
It was in this month's ON if you're member. The piece by David Cwi - "It's all about Ewe" He says - "It's also not a cheap pastime. I just handed a dealer well in excess of a thousand dollars for my annual full service and to store the bike for a couple of months....."

I handed my dealer $700 to replace lifters, replace the in-tank filter, replace the battery, do a ABS service on my bike, and store it for 4 months. Normally I don't spend even close to that. The battery, lifters, and in-tank filter happen every 4 years. Normally I would do those myself but I wanted to get the bike in before the extended warranty expired. I had them go through it with a fine tooth comb and the best they could come up with was a weeping rear rocker cover. Between that and a clutch that went bad at 25k miles, that's all my warranty had to cover, which is a mixed blessing I guess. But I'm glad that at 40k miles the bike has been very reliable.

Back to the article - He went on to speak on replacing tires every 8000, which is a much shorter interval than on my bike which will go twice as far on the rear tire and 3X as far on the front.

I honestly do not know what BMW he rides. I assumed K-bike as I know from ownership that the R bikes are very easy to work on. As far as valves - is it every 18k miles? He probably does in excess of that number every year.

And FYI - not knocking the bike. It's an engineering marvel. I would love to ride one some day.

Last edited by nevada72; 03-19-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: So much hate.... (FXDR, V-ROD, LiveWire, etc...)