General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more road king buffeting help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

I have the fangs, the baffle and a recurve shield. I still get some but it is much better.
A vent is a good idea.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:00 AM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverlution
Hey guys, just looking to see what direction I should move in next. Kind of getting tired of tossing money at it. 18 road king special, tall boy seat, harley windshield hardware, JES air deflectors, no lowers. 5'11 and a half in height, bars are pulled back slightly for the windshield, so i sit back in the seat. Have 18in harley standard, 18in freedom shield with flip, and the "tall" klock werks with the hips. Freedom was the best before the JES deflectors, only tested with klock werks so far since. Full face with the visor down, the buffeting is a bit annoying but tolerable well past legal speeds. Top of the head taping starts around 55-60. with the visor flipped up, or a half helmet, anything over 58mph shakes my eyes so much its like riding stumbling drunk. No shield its nice clean air up to the limiter. I really only want to get the windshield "set up" for longer trips, weekend trips where weather is iffy etc, otherwise I like open fronts anyway. Just not sure if I should go with a 20in freedom with a flip, smaller and get cleaner air to the helmet like maybe a harley windsplitter, or take all the harley stuff off and just put a small outlaw fairing on it to get some wind off my chest on the long rides. I have also tried the road glide air deflectors that clip onto the engine guard and the frame. Im not noticing any significant air streams with gloves on around the tank anywhere. Very clean since the air deflectors. Its just dirty air right at the top of my helmet. Scooting forward in the seat off the backrest and hunching down an inch or two makes visor up feel almost like visor down in the normal position.

Thanks!
"Top of head taping"....I was on a ride on Sunday. I started hearing (feeling) something taping my helmet. I thought my chin strap was doing it. But it wasn't. It was from the wind. I use a full face helmet. It was more annoying than anything else, but now I know what caused it. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:01 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

maybe try the big windshield of a regular Road King?

Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
Oh cool. Seems simple enough. Question is where the hell did I put the dremel and such after moving a few years ago. Ugh. Lol

Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Leverlution
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eglide_vt
Have you tried the Front Fork Air Baffle. I think it’s about $30. It’s known to help a bit with the air that rushes up from below the tank. Don’t know if it will help, but it’s an inexpensive experiment.
I tried the other ones (the two that clip to the highway bar and frame on the sides of the tank) for a road glide. Air around the tank doesnt seem to be a problem. Feels more like I'm either too far back for the air pocket, or the shield isnt kicking the air high enough.

Originally Posted by PPearl
The ugly-*** fangs finally did the trick for me on my SG. They've all but eliminated the buffeting.
Yea I wasnt a fan when i ordered them. They arent as bad as i expected but still not an ideal look. They definitely helped though.

Originally Posted by Tarkus60
I have the fangs, the baffle and a recurve shield. I still get some but it is much better.
A vent is a good idea.
That's exactly where I am, not being able to open the helmet visor isnt going to work though.

Originally Posted by kickstartfan
maybe try the big windshield of a regular Road King?
That's what I was trying to see with this post I guess. If a 20in recurve might be the solution, if a shorter shield is the solution, if I'm as far as I should go and just learn to deal etc. Just kind of tired of tossing $200 toward shields no one wants to buy used lol

Old 03-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,608 Likes on 16,352 Posts

I've got something like this for my Softail Slim S. The vent helps get rid of the wind buffeting.

https://www.shoputahharley.com/produ...iABEgKtVfD_BwE

Old 03-19-2019, 11:11 AM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I have both a Long Ride Shield and HD Fangs on my Slim. No buffeting at all. I put these on for winter riding but like a naked bike otherwise. However they work so well I may use them for longer trips as well. I visited the LRS Factory last fall. They are super people who treated me very well and actually showed me around their facility.
kk

Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
Capt Steve (03-25-2019), DanHappy (03-25-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 AM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by eglide_vt
Have you tried the Front Fork Air Baffle. I think it’s about $30. It’s known to help a bit with the air that rushes up from below the tank. Don’t know if it will help, but it’s an inexpensive experiment.
Originally Posted by PPearl
The ugly-*** fangs finally did the trick for me on my SG. They've all but eliminated the buffeting.
OP said he has JES Lowers, which are similar to fangs.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:55 AM
BuckKnuckle
Road Master
Received 1,003 Likes on 397 Posts

+1 on the fangs. Totally solved the buffeting problem on my FXDL after I put on a windshield.

Quick Reply: more road king buffeting help!