General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obsolete Part Number Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:12 PM
vetteman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Obsolete Part Number Needed

I'm trying to get collector status for a 1993 Electra Glide FLHS and I need to be able to document the fact that Harley Davidson did in fact offer a batwing fairing to go on the bike. I've found a part number that no longer shows up on any of Harleys books. That number is 58374-93. Would any of the Harley experts on here be able to verify that for me and possibly be able to link me to somewhere that would prove that that part number is actually a batwing fairing for the FLHS. The insurance corporation in British Columbia is really **** about stuff like this.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:28 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

I’d check here to see if anything comes up

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche..../showmodel.asp

Old 04-05-2019, 07:28 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,312 Likes on 2,358 Posts

I didn't see it on Ronnie's , any other sources, anyone?

Old 04-05-2019, 07:45 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Like these;

The following 2 users liked this post by not a sock:
pgrchaplain (04-06-2019), vetteman (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 07:46 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

58198-76A is the pn# for the unpainted/primed fairing and 58156-91 for windshield and hardware mounting kit

The following users liked this post:
vetteman (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 09:34 PM
vetteman
5th Gear

Wow. Great response. Thanks guys. Not a Sock, these are actual Harley parts in the photo you supplied. Correct? I've been trying to save the photos but can't figure out how. I'm not really too computer savvy. Would it be possible to email those pics to me at david_parenteau@telus.net I'm sure that the information will suffice for my insurance carrier. Thanks again everyone.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:45 PM
vetteman
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dawg
58198-76A is the pn# for the unpainted/primed fairing and 58156-91 for windshield and hardware mounting kit
You know, I talked to Harley Davidson in Milwaukee and they weren't able to help me at all except to say that with what information they had available they thought that Harley never offered a fairing for the FLHS. These are actual Harley numbers are they? My collector status is getting closer and closer all the time. You guys all rock!

Old 04-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Just curious, collector status according to who?

Old 04-06-2019, 09:20 AM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman
Wow. Great response. Thanks guys. Not a Sock, these are actual Harley parts in the photo you supplied. Correct? I've been trying to save the photos but can't figure out how. I'm not really too computer savvy. Would it be possible to email those pics to me at david_parenteau@telus.net I'm sure that the information will suffice for my insurance carrier. Thanks again everyone.
These are actual photos from a P/A book from 1996.
I'll take better pictures of them and email 'em to you.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:47 AM
vetteman
5th Gear
Smile

[QUOTE=Keithhu;18162353]Just curious, collector status according to who?[/QUOTE

In British Columbia, a motorcycle can be granted collector status and qualify for greatly reduced liability insurance if it meets certain criteria that they set forth. Given the fact that I pay $1500 for 8 months insurance for my Heritage the fact that I could insure the FLHS with the same coverage for just over $600 for a full year makes the luxury of owning a second bike a feasible option for me. The bike must be at least 25 years old or 15 years old and no longer in production with no more than 1500 units built. It must be stock and in pristine condition. Certain safety upgrades are allowed such as radial tires and accessories such as era specific saddlebags and even trailer hitches are allowed. Original specification exhaust are also allowed but what's approved and what isn't is still a really grey area. The original exhaust is available on the bike I'm leaning towards purchasing. My concern was that although the two bikes I'm considering have received collector status they both have fairings. The FLHS was initially sold as an unfaired version but the fairing was available as an accessory. Our provincial insurance corporation ( ICBC ) in numerous conversations has told me that they require some sort of documentation to prove that a fairing was available from Harley Davidson. Harley Davidson in Milwaukee has been unable to help me but the fellows on here and a real sharp partsman at a Vancouver dealership look like they've found the documentation I need.The two bikes I've seen don't have this documentation and I'm not even sure how they got collector status but given the fact that a collector plate becomes non valid on the sale of a bike and a new application has to go in to ICBC by the new purchaser I want and need this documentation. I can document everything else as stock. I can't afford to insure two bikes at close to $3500 a year on my pension so I have to be able to get collector status on the bike if I want to buy it. That in a nutshell explains collector status in British Columbia. It gets even more involved but I just can't type anymore.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (04-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Obsolete Part Number Needed