General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Blind leading the Blind. HD appoints their first Brand President.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 09:52 AM
PCboiler
Road Captain
Received 300 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I know the Motley Fool has a dim view of Harley. But who has an even dimmer view of Harley's base? Probably all the Uber liberals on the Harley Board of Directors. It's shocking that not one director comes from the motorcycle industry. It's mostly people involved with global warming, sustainability, liberal companies.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...a-new-ceo.aspx

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...eadership.html
So you link to a two year old stock analysis?
And show us the board?
Looks like a typical board for a large public traded company. I like the cross section... Boeing, Cummins, Starbucks, etc.
These folks don’t actually work, you know that, right?
Look at boards for many other large public companies across many other product lines...
And to the point to get “motorcycle” people? What’s that look like? There are only two large public motorcycle companies... Levatich did move up through the company.
And in the old stock analysis, talking about Indian sales being up? Ah, yeah, nowhere to go but up at that point.

Let’s all just love our Harley’s, welcome new young riders, and let the business folks run the multi-billion $ company...

pc

Old 05-19-2019, 10:46 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

While I don't think having a Brand manager is a bad thing, perhaps what doubt most riders here are discussing is that Harley's main issue has not been about branding. Even if Harley ups their merchandise game and profits in this category in the short term, how does this help Harley motorcycles? Sure, bonuses will be met, stock will get a small tick upwards for a moment in time, but what is Harley doing to make their motorcycles more attractive to a broader range of riders, more competitive and with more features desired by modern riders.

My problem is that I am old school. I embrace technology that improves my riding, not gizmos and technology just because it is available.

I appreciated Generators over Magnetos when batteries became modern enough.
I appreciated electric start.
I appreciated hydraulic brakes over mechanical rods.
I appreciated disc brakes, and dual front rotors.
i appreciated fuel injection, cruise control, heated grips.
I appreciated ABS brakes
I appreciate a simple straight forward GPS system, easy to use, easy to update. Not today's info system.
I appreciated the years that Harley worked with so many aftermarket suppliers. Granted, this was by default as their designs were so simple. Any enterprising company could make a decent part. I know that era is over and we will hang on as long as we can. But a Lexus is a Lexus and a Fusion is a Fusion. I guess the only 4 wheeled vehicles that you can make your own are pickups and Jeeps. Aside from putting a roof rack on your Subaru, you don't change a thing. It is almost like owning a sport touring motorcycle, you like it the way it is or buy something else. I guess what is also happening is that wrenchers are going away, and new riders will have the work done in a shop, not in their garage.

I do not appreciate plastic. Leave that in the oceans where it belongs.
I do not need ever larger and more powerful 88, 96, 103, 107, etc. I need enough torque to make me smile and for you to eat my dust. I do enjoy being able to enhance the one I have, despite the EPA. I want to understand the guidelines, not the hate and power controlled by a few government fascists.
I do not appreciate a 20 pounds weight gain every time a new model is introduced. If I wanted a goldwing, I'd buy one.
I do appreciate a decent sound system, but I don't want to have to pull over every time I want to do something because the interface is so stupid. Harley, play "Bat out of Hell"! I need it for this section of road.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle G. (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by PCboiler
So you link to a two year old stock analysis?
And show us the board?
Looks like a typical board for a large public traded company. I like the cross section... Boeing, Cummins, Starbucks, etc.
These folks don’t actually work, you know that, right?
Look at boards for many other large public companies across many other product lines...
And to the point to get “motorcycle” people? What’s that look like? There are only two large public motorcycle companies... Levatich did move up through the company.
And in the old stock analysis, talking about Indian sales being up? Ah, yeah, nowhere to go but up at that point.

Let’s all just love our Harley’s, welcome new young riders, and let the business folks run the multi-billion $ company...

pc

Sorry about that. That link wasn't the one I intended, although it provides perspective. Here us the recent one:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/...ent-bring.aspx

My main point, is it looks like a very liberal group that typically has contempt for the base. Pretty sure they would rather hang out with Mikhailov, than Rawhide or Nevada.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

How many people here full of advice, have been employed in the motorcycle industry? But somehow you own a bike.

There are some area you want experience such as engineering and design.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:17 PM
HiDrag
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
How many people here full of advice, have been employed in the motorcycle industry? But somehow you own a bike.

There are some area you want experience such as engineering and design.
Actually for the Audit Committee of the Board you don't give a rip about any skills but finance, accounting and internal controls.

People have no concept of the responsibilities of the Board in publicly traded companies. Just ignore them.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:21 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

You mean you don't need to be a bike mechanic , or harley forum memember, to understand interest rates and finance? What about the lawyers? Cause we got lots of legal experts here.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:28 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I read through some of this and it is amazing how many experts are on this forum. I am reminded of what President Lincoln said during the Civil War, " it's a shame all the the great Generals work for the newspapers".

The following 3 users liked this post by harleyflyboy:
Hannibal Smith (10-26-2019), Keithhu (10-26-2019), Uncle G. (05-19-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 02:46 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts
Old 10-26-2019, 06:17 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Oh that is perfect!

Old 10-26-2019, 06:30 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Is that a raised fist on his t-shirt?
Anyhow..
His departure comes after an internal inquiry along with a third-party investigation into concerns that his judgement and conduct as a senior leader did not align with our culture and the values we expect all our employees to demonstrate," a Harley-Davidson spokesperson said via email.

Last edited by JustDave13; 10-26-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Quick Reply: The Blind leading the Blind. HD appoints their first Brand President.