General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

College Students Can Now Earn Credits For Taking The "Harley-Davidson Riding Academy"

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 10:50 AM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,438 Likes on 23,306 Posts
Default College Students Can Now Earn Credits For Taking The "Harley-Davidson Riding Academy"

"MILWAUKEE – Second-semester college students at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee now have a new favorite class to consider just in time for the start of summer: Harley-Davidson Riding Academy.

Offered through the Department of Kinesiology Sport & Recreation Office at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s College of Health Sciences, Harley-Davidson Riding Academy begins May 2. The elective course includes required reading and classroom lessons on the parts and functions of the motorcycle, suggested riding behaviors to promote confidence, and of course riding practice.

“Harley-Davidson is committed to building the next generation of riders and meeting them where they are – in this case on campus – is a natural extension of that strategy,” said Claudia Garber, Harley-Davidson Marketing Programs Manager. “While many may consider college itself to be the ride of a lifetime, we’re looking forward to broadening horizons even further with a real-life skill and access to a mode of transportation that they may not have considered before.”

Students who complete the course will receive one general credit toward their degree and an MSF completion card, which in many states exempts them from the riding portion of the state motorcycle license test and may qualify riders for discounted motorcycle insurance. The course includes use of a training motorcycle, course materials, and insurance.

Interested students must have a valid automobile driver’s license or learner’s permit and the ability to ride a bicycle.

Harley-Davidson will use the learnings from this pilot with the goal of equipping dealers to offer Riding Academy as a course option at other colleges and universities."

read the rest here...

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...iding-academy/

I think this is a great idea and hope the pilot program is eventually rolled out across the country.

Stuck in a classroom or out in nature on a Harley.

This is a no-brainer.

The following 7 users liked this post by soldierbot:
BuzzCap7 (05-04-2019), MilsurpShooter (05-03-2019), Oko (05-03-2019), oldbie (05-03-2019), One Wire (05-03-2019), skratch (05-03-2019), Walter White (05-03-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:39 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I needed a one credit class in college to fulfill my “Phys Ed” requirement and would have much rather taken an HD riding course over “Hockey Coaching Techniques”. I think it’s a good idea as well.

The following users liked this post:
soldierbot (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 09:40 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

I took skeet shooting , then 10 pin bowling for my phys ed requirement

still more educational value than the liberal arts social science crap they made the engineering students take