General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch out for potholes

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 45,905 Likes on 16,705 Posts

Originally Posted by deadbroke
The roads here on Long Island are horrible. It doesn't matter if it's a side road,or the Long Island Expressway. There are craters thst will wreck you car or kill you on your bike. I've become afraid to ride at night for fear I'll hit a hole that'll take me out. We pay some of the highest taxes in the nation Where the money goes is any body's guess. They sure aren't spending it on road repair.
Just moved back in August. I was born/raised near Watertown NY. Went to SUNY Canton and escaped NYS. Now that I'm back 30 years later, I can't believe the taxes and what the political leadership is doing to this state.

How about less suing the federal government for political gameship, throwing tax dollars at illegal immigrants, banning plastic bags (plus building up state employees to enforce it)and use that money to repair and maintain the roads? As soon as my commitments here are done I'm leaving this place.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:55 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,517 Likes on 2,998 Posts

Since you suffered damage to your motorcycle, due to the negligence of the City in which the roadway is located, you might be able to recover most (if not all) of your costs to be made "whole" again...

Old 05-10-2019, 01:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by RK_Classic
Damn that sucks, At least you kept the bike right side up. Stupid question, but does insurance cover that type of damage?

rk classic.
Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
I doubt it, they would likely say you were traveling too fast for the road conditions, but I may be wrong. It seems like they will do just about anything to get out of paying a claim.
depends on your insurance company. mine (progressive) would, but your deductible would apply.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:30 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,024 Likes on 6,308 Posts

There was a big one on the Blackhawk bridge by my place up north. This crosses the Mississippi to Iowa.

The following users liked this post:
BTLorys (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 01:31 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,664 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Since you suffered damage to your motorcycle, due to the negligence of the City in which the roadway is located, you might be able to recover most (if not all) of your costs to be made "whole" again...
I've thought about that also. I've heard about some people having success with that, and others getting nowhere. Might be worth a shot.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:32 PM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,835 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
I probably appear to be drunk when driving my truck on the roads around my house due to the amount of swerving I do to miss the deep potholes. On the bike it’s almost easier since I can skate in between them or ride the yellow line.

I did hit a pretty good one the other day on a ride that was camouflaged by a tree’s shadow. My girlfriend flew up off the pillion and I just yelled to stay holding on figuring I’d have a flat. I got lucky this time.
Watch out for potholes-ql2wq6m.jpg

But to that sucks and I know what you mean about the roads and rims BTlorys. I'm in NY as well, there's a few on my route northbound on the Saw Mill where I swear it'd eat up over half the rim if you're not careful. Get into the side streets like 117 and route 100? Taking your life in your hands. Far as a replacement, you could try the guys down in Elmsford, Prestige Custom Cycles. Good local indy dealer.

Last edited by MilsurpShooter; 05-10-2019 at 01:34 PM.
CrBear (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 01:43 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Originally Posted by MilsurpShooter

But to that sucks and I know what you mean about the roads and rims BTlorys. I'm in NY as well, there's a few on my route northbound on the Saw Mill where I swear it'd eat up over half the rim if you're not careful. Get into the side streets like 117 and route 100? Taking your life in your hands. Far as a replacement, you could try the guys down in Elmsford, Prestige Custom Cycles. Good local indy dealer.
Pick any road in the area and they're all the same. Some worse than others. This was on 22N up by bedford.

I haven't been to Prestige but I've heard mostly good things about them. I follow them on Facebook/Instagram and whoever that dude they have doing their social media marketing is.... they need to find somebody else to take that over lol. He makes me not want to go. They're close enough to me, maybe 15 minutes max.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:08 PM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BTLorys
Pick any road in the area and they're all the same. Some worse than others. This was on 22N up by bedford.

I haven't been to Prestige but I've heard mostly good things about them. I follow them on Facebook/Instagram and whoever that dude they have doing their social media marketing is.... they need to find somebody else to take that over lol. He makes me not want to go. They're close enough to me, maybe 15 minutes max.
Think i know which hole you're talking about. Had to dodge it on the way to Patterson when i was going to the Tractor Supply store lol. I don't do the Facebook thing so not sure. But I go there for parts, inspections and the necessities. Gloves, fluids, etc. Guys are friendly and willing to help out.

BTLorys (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 02:13 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Originally Posted by MilsurpShooter
Think i know which hole you're talking about. Had to dodge it on the way to Patterson when i was going to the Tractor Supply store lol. I don't do the Facebook thing so not sure. But I go there for parts, inspections and the necessities. Gloves, fluids, etc. Guys are friendly and willing to help out.
It's a bad stretch of 22 thats basically a minefield. I swear the potholes move daily.

I like that tractor supply. I bought a hydraulic log splitter there about a month ago. Theres a gun shop up there called Adaptive Shooting Supplies I think. Nice guys in there too... they helped me out when I had a small pest issue at home.

MilsurpShooter (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 03:46 PM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BTLorys
It's a bad stretch of 22 thats basically a minefield. I swear the potholes move daily.

I like that tractor supply. I bought a hydraulic log splitter there about a month ago. Theres a gun shop up there called Adaptive Shooting Supplies I think. Nice guys in there too... they helped me out when I had a small pest issue at home.
They've got some good stuff. Picked up a new cabinet from them for cheap, all the other places wanted to arrange freight and have it dropped off for about the cost of the cabinet. found them, drove up, walked it out to my truck and done. I'll look up Adaptive, always nice to know about the shops around the area and hard to find them unless you know about them. Precision Armory in Carmel is another good one. And if you like the old stuff like I do, up off Beekman Road in Fishkill is Collectors rifles and ammo.

BTLorys (05-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Watch out for potholes