General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak vs. Sissy Bar Bag

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 09:25 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,155 Likes on 723 Posts
Default Tour Pak vs. Sissy Bar Bag

Trying to decide which route to go. Application... '18 Heritage...

Tour pak...

Sissy Bar Bag

Can't decide which way to go. Both have advantages/disadvantages. One of my biggest hangups with the Sissy bag is security. Yes, you can lock the zippers. Probably can lock the bag to the bike via the rings. Still seems easily stolen/raided. As I've read in other post, what are they going to get? My dirty clothes? We'll, maybe the bag itself and perhaps jackets, rain gear etc. Nothing to sneeze at I suppose. I'll likely be stopping are various points of interest while traveling. Could be away from the bike for hours. I've read people say that they've never had a problem with people messing with their bags, but there's always a first time. Anything of value (not being carried with) would be locked up in the saddle bags. Still.... piece of mind points would have to go to the Tour Pak.

Sissy bar bag definitely facilitates bringing all your stuff into the room/lodging. I suppose there are easy means of unloading what you need from the Tour Pak and carrying it to the room. Some stuff not needed in the room could be left in the Tour Pak (rain gear etc.). Sissy bar bag is pretty much coming with whether you need all of it's contents or not.

Tour pak (plus HoldFast rack) is certainly way more expensive than the Sissy Bar bag (plus luggage rack).

Sissy Bar Bag requires the luggage rack attachment. I'll probably never take the sissy bar off (unless I go with the Tour Pak option.) However, I'm not keen on having the luggage rack permanently on the bike. But once installed, it's not likely coming off.

Not sure how I'd use the Sissy Bar Bag external pockets if they can't be locked.

I've looked at the Viking and Leatherpros Tour Paks. I'm not feeling either too much.

Even with it's disadvantages, the Sissy Bar Bag may have the edge (particularly considering price). IDK - tough call.

So what's everybody's preferences? Why would one option be better/worse than the other?

Last edited by T^2; 05-19-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:14 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Advantage on Tour Pak is its a better backrest for your passenger

The following users liked this post:
son of the hounds (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 05:54 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,432 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Depends on how much travelling u intend doing over a year. .

Aesthetics?

I'd go for the SB and detachable windshield.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:07 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

The trunk is more secure, and more comfortable for the passenger.
I went from a Ultra to a softail and contemplated a trunk (but would not bother with the leather one IMHO).
Instead I went with a Rickrak & a dry bag, yes you can still cut the bag to gain access.
But with the lock the rack is not coming off with out the bike's rack.
It takes about 1 minute to remove it off the bike (with the key that is) and i keeps everything clean and dry.
Plus that extra weight is lower on the bike.

As for the truck's if you are getting one to haul, get the one with the most capacity.

As always IMHO

Old 05-20-2019, 06:15 AM
Ashnic
Road Warrior
Received 270 Likes on 107 Posts

following..same dilemma

Old 05-20-2019, 07:27 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

I did the sissy bar bag for last year's trip. Guess what I bought for this year's trip.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

We travel two up most of the time, the tour pack is a must for her comfort and security. I also like it in the winter as I can stow warm clothes, heated liner and gloves, dry clothes, and change for conditions easily.

Solo, I prefer the sissy bar and rack. I use a Super-T bag behind the sissy bar on the rack and my tent, sleeping bag, camp stuff in a waterproof bag on the pillion behind me.

Solo, I can grab my entire gear in the T-bag and bring it inside a motel or tent, likewise with the waterproof bag.

But two up, the trunk works fantastic. We each have our primary clothes in a saddlebag liner, one each side. Riding clothes, like leathers, rain gear, spare pair of gloves, and other stuff we use to make ourselves comfortable during the day go in the king tour trunk. We use a rack bag on the trunk for light stuff, like a pair of sneakers in case we want to hike in some where, a half cover that I use for rain and security, and other odds and ends. We try to keep our weight low, so only bulky stuff gets into the trunk with leathers on the bottom of the trunk.

We never have had a security issue, knock on wood, but I do use an oasis 1/2 cover when we leave the bike for extended periods. It keeps prying eyes off the serial number and latches and covers the top half of the bike. Somebody looking under is real obvious. A plus is no dew, keeps the sheepskins and seat dry.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 AM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

The tour pack looks better

Old 05-20-2019, 12:01 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,155 Likes on 723 Posts

Thanks for the insight. Helpful it is.

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
We travel two up most of the time, the tour pack is a must for her comfort and security. I also like it in the winter as I can stow warm clothes, heated liner and gloves, dry clothes, and change for conditions easily.
Couple comments have already suggested that the Tour Pak is more comfortable for the passenger. Not sure why. I've been looking at Ultimate's passenger pillion and sissy bar relocation kit...

Wonder why the comfort level of that would be so drastically different as compared to a Tour Pak. One thing the Mrs. asked when I showed her the Tour Pak vs. the Sissy Bar Bag setup, was "What am I going to be able to hold on to with the Tour Pak installed?" She often reaches behind her and holds onto the sissy bar.

Solo, I prefer the sissy bar and rack. I use a Super-T bag behind the sissy bar on the rack and my tent, sleeping bag, camp stuff in a waterproof bag on the pillion behind me.

Solo, I can grab my entire gear in the T-bag and bring it inside a motel or tent, likewise with the waterproof bag.
I may do some solo trips, but I doubt I'll be camping.

But two up, the trunk works fantastic. We each have our primary clothes in a saddlebag liner, one each side. Riding clothes, like leathers, rain gear, spare pair of gloves, and other stuff we use to make ourselves comfortable during the day go in the king tour trunk.
This is pretty much how I was seeing it. Figured she would get one saddle bag and I the other (more likely she'll get all of hers and part of mine) for clothes etc. Gear like rain gear, coats, etc. and other stuff you can leave in then trunk/don't need to drag to your room would go in the Tour Pak. Figured if necessary, what few additional items (that one might need to be transport to the room and not already in the saddle bags) could go in the Tour Pak and be stashed in something easily carried.

I don't see a saddlebag liner working with the stock HD saddlebags that come on the Heritage. I believe the latch protruding into the bags opening presents a problem for such a scenario. If you stuffed the liner full, you'd likely have problems getting it in/out. I'm seriously thinking about replacing the stock saddlebags with Leathpro's quick detach bags. They have a carrying strap available... Looking at this scenario...

We use a rack bag on the trunk for light stuff, like a pair of sneakers in case we want to hike in some where, a half cover that I use for rain and security, and other odds and ends. We try to keep our weight low, so only bulky stuff gets into the trunk with leathers on the bottom of the trunk.

We never have had a security issue, knock on wood, but I do use an oasis 1/2 cover when we leave the bike for extended periods. It keeps prying eyes off the serial number and latches and covers the top half of the bike. Somebody looking under is real obvious. A plus is no dew, keeps the sheepskins and seat dry.
Some good arguments for the Tour Pak.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:35 PM
madwrencher
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have used a sissy bar bag for years. I go on one or two trips a year. Last year I used a cheap tour pack on a detach rack. Much easier. Instead of spending a bunch of time strapping a bag down everyday. You can get a duffel bag and toss in a tour pack. And if you stay someplace a few days you detach the whole tourpak.

Quick Reply: Tour Pak vs. Sissy Bar Bag