General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VHT Nightshades tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts
Default VHT Nightshades tint

I have a spare OEM windshield for my Fat Bob and want to try tinting the lower part, from the horizontal crossbar down. I see aftermarket shields available in an array of lower colors, but they use their own mounts and I'm perfectly happy with the HD QD 49mm tube clamps. I tried to work with tint film and it's not for my skill set. Next is VHT Nightshades tint paint; if it works on automotive signal light plastic, it should work on a polycarbonate windshield. Has anyone tried this? Any tips??

Old 05-23-2019, 10:19 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,543 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
I have a spare OEM windshield for my Fat Bob and want to try tinting the lower part, from the horizontal crossbar down. I see aftermarket shields available in an array of lower colors, but they use their own mounts and I'm perfectly happy with the HD QD 49mm tube clamps. I tried to work with tint film and it's not for my skill set. Next is VHT Nightshades tint paint; if it works on automotive signal light plastic, it should work on a polycarbonate windshield. Has anyone tried this? Any tips??
I've used the VHT tint on my spotlights on my heritage and it was ok. I like the window tint stuff much better and have done many windows with it. Not that hard to do.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:10 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

First attempt with film was with soapy water spray; I couldn't get it squeegeed out from underneath well enough for the film to stick; or do you just squeegee out and let it "set" dry?
The second attempt without soapy water, just sticky side down and I didn't have enough hands to start it in the centre of the concave back of the shield accurately...
Am I missing something here? First time working with this stuff

Old 05-23-2019, 02:17 PM
kcfocust
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

If I'm thinking of this correctly, you are trying to tint the area below visibility? If you dont mind it being blacked out, you could spray the back side (the side you look through) with black plastidip. When you mount it to the bike it should look like a nice gloss black, just a thought

Old 05-23-2019, 04:48 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,543 Posts

First attempt with film was with soapy water spray; I couldn't get it squeegeed out from underneath well enough for the film to stick; or do you just squeegee out and let it "set" dry?
The second attempt without soapy water, just sticky side down and I didn't have enough hands to start it in the centre of the concave back of the shield accurately...
Am I missing something here? First time working with this stuff
Soapy water
and you need to squeezie it out with something made of rubber working from the center out. Spray the window tint also before laying it down and then just start working it from the center out. It will take a day or so to take a " set". Good Luck !

You could always just take it to a window tint shop and have it done, i wouldn't think it would cost much.

Last edited by hardheaded; 05-23-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:14 PM
b bop n bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,910 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Anyone aware of burgundy window tint? I would like to do the bottom of the shield on my black cherry heritage. I like the nostalgia look and love my indy's '78 FLH.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hardheaded
Soapy water
and you need to squeezie it out with something made of rubber working from the center out. Spray the window tint also before laying it down and then just start working it from the center out. It will take a day or so to take a " set". Good Luck !

You could always just take it to a window tint shop and have it done, i wouldn't think it would cost much.
I called the local "Super Tint" franchise and they claimed their film won't stick to polycarbonate

Old 05-23-2019, 09:38 PM
2K10FBLO
Road Master
Received 555 Likes on 336 Posts

I've not tried it on the windshield but I'm going to for the detachable on my fat boy. Gonna do dark at bottom and fade it up to either clear or maybe one light coat.

I tried window tinting front windows on a prior truck. It looked ok but I had bought pre cut templates which was easier to apply, for me anyway. For cheap Ebay tint I can't complain but there was tiny bubbles I couldn't get out

I've used vht on tail lights and it looks good and is easy. Watch for orange peel though. And a little goes a long way. My tail lights were border line too dark for my taste. Not black by any means but pretty dark.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 PM
b bop n bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,910 Likes on 1,075 Posts

I called the local "Super Tint" franchise and they claimed their film won't stick to polycarbonate
I don't think they are "applying" themselves.