General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting Your GoPro So You Don't Look Like a Spaceman

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 12:17 PM
Colin455
Stage III
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GoPro

1. Zerk is a Troll.
2. I like the wrist strap. Can set the delay to a couple seconds and point at what you want a shot of.
BTW, it takes pictures as well. Very clear ones.
Have you ever saw something on a rude so nice, you wanted to share? A momma bear with her three cubs, the morning fog shrouding the bridge you're going to cross, an ominous cloud formation over the highway your on but heading into?
The GoPro allows you to share with your non-riding friends.
Maybe even interest them enough to try it?
Up here in Northern Alberta, bugs are a smeary problem. I find my camera on my wrist just happens to hide behind my mirror, keeping it clean. LOL.
My GoPro is a Hero2. Old , cheap tech.

Last edited by Colin455; 05-26-2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Add info
The following users liked this post:
Curated Content Editor (05-28-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 12:20 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 91,646 Likes on 23,577 Posts

I wear a half helmet and have mounted the camera to the bars and to the top of the helmet. I have come to the same conclusion as this writer...best location is a chin mount. Now, I just have to find a full helmet I can live with for filming.

The following 3 users liked this post by soldierbot:
Colin455 (05-26-2019), Curated Content Editor (05-28-2019), Long lonesome highwayman (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 09:48 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin455
1. Zerk is a Troll.
2. I like the wrist strap. Can set the delay to a couple seconds and point at what you want a shot of.
Have you ever saw something on a rude so nice, you wanted to share? A momma bear with her three cubs, the morning fog shrouding the bridge you're going to cross, an ominous cloud formation over the highway your on but heading into?
The GoPro allows you to share with your non-riding friends.
Maybe even interest them enough to try it?
Up here in Northern Alberta, bugs are a smeary problem. I find my camera on my wrist just happens to hide behind my mirror, keeping it clean. LOL.
My GoPro is a Hero2. Old , cheap tech.
The wrists sounds like worse for knowing it there. Plus more chances to hit it on something.

I just pull over a take pics. I do have lots of game cameras for bears and wolves.

Watching someone ride seems most boring thing. Can you blue tooth so can live stream your meal to Facebook too?

I've taken lots of short vids of dogs. Making a point to keep short.

I've rode roads most never Wil, and I just think a well timed picture is best. It looks small amount of effort though.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:41 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,940 Likes on 2,395 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin455
Originally Posted by Zerk
I just pull over a take pics. I do have lots of game cameras for bears and wolves..
I think that's great that you guys can take still pics of interesting stuff. My cell phone and dash cam both takes pretty good still pics. The problem is if I'm riding by the time I see something interesting enough to save it's gone most of the time, whether I'm moving or pull over. No bears or wolves where I live, only deer and they're so plentiful they're not worth photographing. I've got a couple of them out in the back yard right now.

Originally Posted by soldierbot
I wear a half helmet and have mounted the camera to the bars and to the top of the helmet. I have come to the same conclusion as this writer...best location is a chin mount. Now, I just have to find a full helmet I can live with for filming.
Pardon the question but I'm trying to learn what might work out the best. I have a half helmet and a full face one, but I can't stand to wear my FF one in high heat conditions. What happened when you mounted it to the bars and top of the half helmet? Was there any buffeting with the helmet mount? Was there vibration issues with the bar mount? And when you said bars, do you mean handlebars or crash bars?

My sportster doesn't have crash bars but the handlebars have an unobstructed view for a mount. The exact opposite is true with my EG, and a crash bar mount like what is pictured above might be a more practical mount if attached to the bike.

soldierbot (05-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 09:02 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

When I was out riding yesterday I saw someone going the other way and with a Gopro mounted to the left side windscreen screw of their fairing. I looked it up and apparently the mount for it has studs with it so that you replace one of the screws for the windscreen (can do the center one if desired) then the mount attaches to the stud. You can adjust the mount 360 degrees. Has anyone tried it or know anyone that has?

Old 05-28-2019, 09:20 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,445 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Arrow

I don't wear a helmet, so that's out. Tried many other spots around the bike, gave up, not satisfied with the results.
Maybe I'll try the landing net in my boat, in case I ever catch a big fish...

Old 05-28-2019, 09:26 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2whlr4life
I don't wear a helmet, so that's out. Tried many other spots around the bike, gave up, not satisfied with the results.
Maybe I'll try the landing net in my boat, in case I ever catch a big fish...
What was the issue on the bike? Vibration or camera angle?

Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,445 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
What was the issue on the bike? Vibration or camera angle?
Vibration mainly. Crash bars, saddlebags, handlebars (distortion through the windshield), fenders. HARLEYS vibrate. DOH!

Old 05-28-2019, 12:36 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,132 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I use the chin mount almost exclusively now. I agree it gives the best POV. Although, I have mounted my GoPro almost everywhere it can be mounted, including the rear fender pointed behind the bike. It's a perspective you don't see very often.
I did Rolling Thunder this year with one camera mounted to the handlebars facing forward and one camera mounted on the luggage rack facing to the rear.

I don't like head mounted cameras for recording a ride, I turn my head too much as I ride, makes me nauseous to watch the video.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:22 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 91,646 Likes on 23,577 Posts

Mounted straight to the bar...without any extension. Too low..

Mounted on the front of a half helmet...too high.

Front of half helmet angled down quite a bit...still not right.

On the half, leaning back and looking down slightly. This is sorta the view I would like but with my hands still attached to the bar. Chin mount is what I am looking for as I want to see my bars and hand controls in the view.

Curated Content Editor (05-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Mounting Your GoPro So You Don't Look Like a Spaceman