General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know if S&S oil filters are good quality?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by chromepony
I'm not sure but I bought a WIX filter that looks EXACTLY like the S&S filter, if that's any help.
Was it round, sorta like a soup can?

One thing I ran into, bought some brand at an indie and was hair to long with my oil cooler, couldn't clear CPK. Kicked my ***. I could get it on, but couldn't get it to thread on. Had to go get the old on to prove I wasn't losing my mind.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 699 Likes on 318 Posts
Default My 2 Cents, at a discount

S&S has been in the business of providing aftermarket parts for Harleys for a long time. I'm confident if they had a reputation of providing crappy stuff they would of fallen by the wayside a long time ago. For me, the factory filters from HD are convenient, easy for me to pick up, known quality, and the price isn't enough to bother me.

In regards to Harleys having a few problems that owners have to deal with, yeah I suppose they do. My 1st Harley had a few minor issues but overall did well for 43K miles. The Gold Wing that replaced it had a few minor issues as well, actually more than the 1st Harley did, but overall did well for 49K miles. Other than being uncomfortable on my hips, and fortunately I didn't have a few of the problems other Gold Wing owners had from that era. The 3rd Harley is the one I have now. Other than some minor well documented issues, such as the front wheel bearings, its been the most reliable of them all. At least as of 34K miles. At the time I bought the 3rd Harley I considered an FJR Yamaha as an alternative but unfortunately they were uncomfortable and the crouched riding position didn't my 59 year old body (at the time I was buying).

Old 06-19-2019, 10:49 PM
CHHBadkarma
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Seeing as how the MoCo does not make their oil filters or most of their fluids, Champion labs and Citgo respectivly do, find something that meets or exceeds the oem requirement and motor on.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:43 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by CHHBadkarma
Seeing as how the MoCo does not make their oil filters or most of their fluids, Champion labs and Citgo respectivly do, find something that meets or exceeds the oem requirement and motor on.

This ^^^

The MoCo barely makes motorcycles anymore (conglomeration of anyone else's parts ... low bidder most likely) let along oil or filters.

There are plenty of threads and articles on-line about oil filters. Wix has been good and has several filters that "fit" a Harley - just make sure that the other specifications beyond thread and flange dimensions match what the MoCo recommends.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:48 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,620 Likes on 2,532 Posts

You have plenty of other options out their, hit google and go to town. Here I'll get you started.

Amazon Amazon

rk classic.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:42 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,268 Likes on 5,654 Posts

I like the K&N filters. I have never had an issue with them and they have the nut welded on to make removal easier.

Iron lHorse (06-26-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:10 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,132 Likes on 6,255 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
There speedometer has been fogging forever.
Agree.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:18 AM
Zerk
Banned

I have never thought to question if S&S was better than Harley. I just assumed they were.

As far as who makes what, pretty much all companies buy their parts somewhere. Not like they own foundries or oil wells.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:19 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mertoid
S & S doesn't make filters, so hard to say whose they really are. I suppose you could ask them and then decide. I use the cleanable mesh type, more expensive initially, but I can see what's in it and I know it's a good one.
X2.

Reusable mesh filters are better than paper ones. I think what throws many people off them, besides the initial cost, is the 25 - 35 micron rating they carry vs paper filter ratings of 5 microns. A 35 micron permanent filter filters smaller particles than the 5 micron rated paper one does. This anomaly owes to the fact that two different "rating standards" are in play here and the one paper filter makers use is a total joke. Those filters will in fact routinely allow particles 100 microns in size to pass through them. The reusable steel mesh filters routinely don't allow any particle larger than their stated rating, (25-35 microns) through them.

Don't take my word for this. Google "Nominal vs Absolute" filter ratings and read. Nominal methods are all but discontinued in the filtration industry, the exception being automotive oil filters where your grandaddy's 20 micron filter and your 5 micron filter are the same filter and neither reliably filter out 20 micron particles.

In practical terms I don't think any of this matters a whole hell of a lot because filters seem to do the necessary regardless. Just, if you like to know what you're paying for, its nice to know these things perhaps.

on3wego (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:25 AM
Zerk
Banned

As to problems that never get fixed, it does bitter you. Same we are to blame for just eating crap and smiling. The thermoter for instances. People just say what do you need it for you are outside. New guys probably now say why do I care, I got my phone. Well why put something on there that doesn't work? Many other gauges that would be useful. Though I do think temp gauge that worked would be mildly amusing.

If a gauge really fogged up to the point I could not read it, I would ticked.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know if S&S oil filters are good quality?