General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno - dealer vs non-dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 02:27 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by TimmyPage
Does my bike feel slightly slower now because of the different map?
Your bike "feels" slower because the second guy told you he had it running 76/75 after the first guy told you he had it running 79/78.

But it's in your head. You can't feel a tiny difference like that.

There is the possibility that the second tune has the bottom of the RPM range all screwed up, so your torque curve has a sharp slope to it instead of being flat. That will make it feel more sluggish.

Last edited by 0maha; 06-19-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:44 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,189 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by slw210
You are still detuning the bike to a degree, the tuner manufacturers all agree on this. Yes, some combinations you can remove it by advanced programming on some combinations, usually by cutting off the fuel and sometimes adding fuel IIRC, at certain times.

But, yes it is normal in a performance motor and a stock engine, I stated normal, not necessary. Under normal circumstances and none of the previously mentioned problems are causing it, it does no harm.

But, don't take my word on this....https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/exh...ses-solutions/ and there is a nice rundown on things to check.
I think you're splitting hairs. Working with decel settings have very, very little effect whatsoever on any settings above idle throttle position, and therefore have nil effect on overall performance. That's not in any way, shape or form detuning, eliminating decel pop is more properly characterized as part of fine tuning.

Bareass Choppers has some good info in their link, but it isn't an "end all" treatise on decel pop by any means, and some of their statements aren't, in my experience, totally accurate. For instance, in a properly tuned bike, "blipping" the throttle while downshifting should not result in any decel pop (one certainly doesn't normally hear race engines of any type exhibiting a whole lot of decel pop). It certainly doesn't with my bike. Neither does decelerating under light throttle openings. While my bike admittedly isn't dyno tuned yet, it's seen the benefit of quite a bit of autotuning and other tweaking and runs strong and smooth with no indications of running either rich or lean and with only an occasional (and I mean very occasional) burble on decel.

Your quote: "You should be aware that if your map was made or tested on a dyno to work for your bike then you will actually be detuning your bike doing this."

Dyno tuning generally is geared toward optimizing performance, not sound, last time I checked. A dyno tune might not even touch the decel settings in the original map. Tweaking decel settings can't automatically be considered to be "detuning".

The bottom line is, you're assertions don't agree with the experiences of quite a few others, and certainly don't agree with mine.

Done here. Just my couple of pennie's worth, based on my experiences.....

Last edited by martinj; 06-19-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:03 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,137 Likes on 764 Posts

I ride with 4 guys that all have motor work done. S&S kits, different cams, some with head work, 4 tuned with TTS and 1 PV. Not one of our bikes decelerations pops. Might be different on a sporty but if my bike deceled popped it would be going back to the tuner. That would be unacceptable .

Old 06-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Moose2011FLHX
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

Mine has some decel pop when i get off of it in the upper rpm range, but it's tuned with the HD Street Tuner and I figure it's leaned out up there. Oh well warranty expires in 11 more months, I can live with it that long.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:55 PM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Does not a dealer tune by law and Harley's agreement with the EPA give you just a EPA compliant tune ? So where is the improvement over the factory tune ? My vote is go to anyone other than a Dealer , or just do it yourself . The V&H Fuelpak is the easiest to use .

Old 06-19-2019, 05:13 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

I like the way they look and sound too much but thanks.
Well now wait a minute. You just spent $$$ on a 1200cc kit for your 883, you just spent another $$$ on at least 2 dyno tunes, we tell you that your "big radius exhaust system" is robbing you blind, and you say it's ok?
Well then, ok.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:16 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

I like the way they look and sound too much but thanks.
Well now wait a minute. You just spent $$$ on a 1200cc kit for your 883, you just spent another $$$ on at least 2 dyno tunes, we tell you that your "big radius exhaust system" is robbing you blind, and you say it's ok?
Well then, ok.

The following users liked this post:
pgrchaplain (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:58 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

+1 on a 2 into 1; other the WFO throttle, a 2 into 1 exhaust will provide better performance for street riding; but if style and sound matter then it's your bike and your money.

The difference, perhaps imperceptible front he seat of the pants could have been due to slight variations in tune or atmospheric conditions from different days.

So much attention is afforded deceleration popping. It is unburned fuel making its way down the exhaust path until it matches with enough oxygen for ignition. On the street it may be, well, annoying but is not, by itself, indicative of a "bad' tune.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Your bike "feels" slower because the second guy told you he had it running 76/75 after the first guy told you he had it running 79/78.

But it's in your head. You can't feel a tiny difference like that.

There is the possibility that the second tune has the bottom of the RPM range all screwed up, so your torque curve has a sharp slope to it instead of being flat. That will make it feel more sluggish.
I agree. Knowing the HP has been decreased creates the false impression in sluggishness. However, I have found that a good washing and waxing [and maybe even an oil change] removes that sluggishness and makes me go faster.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:52 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Absolute dyno numbers are meaningless junk. A good dyno operator can make the dyno read anything he wants. An inexperienced dyno operator gets whatever meaningless number the dyno spits out.

ETA: The only thing a dyno is good for is comparing differences in the same engine. There is no absolute comparison between two dynos or between two dyno operators. The best you can hope for is to use the SAME dyno, the SAME operator, using the SAME settings with the SAME atmospherics. A good operator will make the dyno read whatever he thinks will bring repeat business.

Last edited by Sierra977; 06-20-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyno - dealer vs non-dealer