General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left hand thumb pain

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,862 Likes on 6,237 Posts

Had that trigger thing once in my thumb, it was annoying as hell.
One shot of cortisone at the base of my hand, and another between the thumb and forefinger. Been fine ever since.

The following users liked this post:
CaffeineBuzz (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:30 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts

Anything that can be done to reduce vibration, especially the high frequency vibes that seam to come with the new bikes.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:18 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,449 Likes on 4,138 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
If you tell us the particulars about the bike you ride, along with seat, bars and lack of backrest we can be more helpful.

'17 cvo street glide...just bought it about a month ago...put about 1700 miles on it so far

Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 PM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Had that trigger thing once in my thumb, it was annoying as hell.
One shot of cortisone at the base of my hand, and another between the thumb and forefinger. Been fine ever since.
I had surgery for trigger thumb in January or maybe February. It came on the first time in Nov./Dec. of '18 after over-working it on a chainsaw while cleaning up storm damage from Michael. Ended up having to hire someone to finish the cleanup because my left hand was useless once trigger thumb set in. I'm at about 85% - 90% recovered at this point. Doesn't hurt to extend it as far as I can, but still a little less mobility when clenching it like making a fist. Pain isn't bad, but it's there, which means recovery isn't complete yet. Nobody said a word about cortisone as a potential treatment. I would've definitely tried that first, but I didn't know to even inquire about it. Just another reason I dislike doctors so much. I never feel like I'm getting all my options presented to me, or even if I say I heard about this or that treatment, they dismiss it and say no, you need the surgery. What date is good for you?

Anyway, to the OP, my hands rarely go all the way to numb, but they do fall asleep almost every time I go for a ~20 or so minute ride. I feel like it's the gel padding in my lightweight gloves, which I also wear during most of the Winter unless it's unusually cold. When I do wear heavy gloves, the thickness is even throughout and doesn't put "hot-spot" type of pressure in my palms. My hands don't go to sleep nearly as often with thick gloves, so you might try to find summer gloves with no padding or gel in the palms to see if that helps. Otherwise, I've had 15" apes, stock bars, baby apes and now running 13" apes. My hands have gone to sleep with all of 'em. I am 6'-6" tall though, so if I'm running my backrest, which I almost always do, my hands are not higher than my shoulders even with 15" bars, so the problem is probably with circulation not getting to my hands no matter what height they are, as opposed to them being higher than my shoulders.

I thought when I got my newest bike that I'd never use the cruise control. Kinda scared me actually, because I felt really distracted when I first started messing with it. But when my hands started going to sleep again (first day I got it), I figured I'd try it so I could give my throttle hand a better rest than I could when I used to use the screw-in throttle lock. The old way I still had to keep adjusting the throttle for hills etc. The new way, adjustment comes automatic, so I can just leave my hand in my lap. It "wakes up" quite a bit faster than it used to.

Don't know if that helps or not, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Blues

Last edited by BluesStringer; 06-19-2019 at 12:53 PM.