General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever flew to Hawaii and rented a bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:30 PM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Anyone ever flew to Hawaii and rented a bike

Been thinking about this for a few days. Wife and I never really go much of anywhere a long way from home for a vacation. Normally just run to the lake for a few days here and there and so on.
after doing a little looking around we are thinking of maybe going to Hawaii for a week and renting a bike there for a few days and running around the island some.
seems like a awesome place to take a vacation.
anyone ever done this before

Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Lots of people have, however, be ready to deal with lots of traffic as there’s only so many roads on an island, and it rains a lot there so be aware of that also lol.

I thought about renting when I went but after seeing the costs, I didn’t. After being on Oahu for a week, I’m really glad I didn’t. I can ride as much as I want around here, there was much better ways to spend my first time in Hawaii.

I found it odd that I didn’t see more bikes than I did when I was there. Scooters are a plenty though!

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 06-18-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,257 Likes on 11,131 Posts

X2 on renting a scooter if you want to ride, probably way cheaper and you don't need the speed of a FL on those rough and poorly maintained island roads.
Cost of Hawaiian HD rentals has to be on the same level as extortion.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:40 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,186 Likes on 2,254 Posts

Originally Posted by champ198
Been thinking about this for a few days. Wife and I never really go much of anywhere a long way from home for a vacation. Normally just run to the lake for a few days here and there and so on.
after doing a little looking around we are thinking of maybe going to Hawaii for a week and renting a bike there for a few days and running around the island some.
seems like a awesome place to take a vacation.
anyone ever done this before
Kauai has a nice (albeit very small) HD dealership that rents Harleys out. I'd probably pass on renting on Oahu due to traffic and such. But Kauai would be a good option as it is small and more laid back.

And BTW, Hawaiians are the slowest and worst drivers in American (well, maybe tied with Californians). I'm convinced it is because they are high on weeds. "Hawaii times" is real. No sense of urgency whatsoever and lot of old people on the roads.

Hawaii is great. My mother is from there, I've been there at least 30+ times and usually head there once a year or so. Not a big fan of Honolulu or Waikiki (both are extremely dated and corny IMHO), but outside of that, always amazing.

Last edited by wolverinehusky; 06-18-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:05 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I rented a road king from the HD dealer in Honolulu a couple years back when the new wife and I were honeymooning there. It was easy and straightforward. It cost a lot, but I know that going in. The island of Oahu is no place to ride a bike! There is no where on the island that traffic is not an issue. It's like LA rush hour traffic 24/7. Except, the drivers are courteous. If you signal for a lane change, they will actually let you in! But I think I spent more time with my feet touching the ground than on the pegs!

I rented a '17 M8 RK. I was afraid I'd want to sell my '06 Deluxe and buy a new RK when I got home, due to the hype the M8s were getting, along with the sales guy at the dealer in Oahu say how great they were.

Those fears evaporated after a day on that RK. Granted, it was a rental, and probably got really really hot a few times in Honolulu traffic. It clattered to be danged, the idle was erratic, and the ride was like a 3/4 ton truck from the 70s.

But, we rode a Harley in Hawaii!

Old 06-18-2019, 05:29 PM
retep2281
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent 10 days in Maui in 01'. Rented a Deuce and made the Road to Hana my priority. Best day on the island hands down!

The following users liked this post:
harpo302 (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 07:13 PM
Lickmeister
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

I love motorcycling and I love Hawaii, so motorcycling on Hawaii has been one of the most enjoyable and memorable things I've done in my 40 years of riding, which includes most of the national parks in the Western U.S. I've been to Maui three times, Oahu once, Kauai once and the Big Island once. I rented a Harley twice on Maui, once on the Big Island and a scooter on Oahu. Didn't really enjoy Oahu, too busy and too much traffic but absolutely loved renting on Maui and the Big Island! You should absolutely do it! Maui doesn't have any large cities so I didn't think traffic was bad at all. I stay on the west side, near Kaanapali. Maui is made from two volcanoes/mountains with a valley between them. You can do perimeter rides around the two volcanic mountains, one of which is the famous road to Hana. And you can also ride to the top of the largest volcanic mountain, Haleakala, a distinction of being one of the tallest mountains in the world when measured from the sea floor where it began it's life to the summit; 19,000 feet from the sea floor to sea level and then 10,000 more feet above sea level.

On the Big Island, I did over 500 miles in two days of renting. Being the largest of the islands, you have more opportunity to open up the bike a bit. Between Hilo and Kona, Saddle Mountain Road, there's about 60 miles of highway that takes you through a high elevation between the two sides of the island. Got a bit chilly for a few minutes then back to the 80's on the west side. I don't really enjoy hiking but I absolutely love sight seeing from the seat of the Harley!

Let me know if you have any questions about which specific roads I'd recommend.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,053 Likes on 6,220 Posts

We rented Harley when we were in Maui back in 1997.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:43 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I would like to ride other islands where it’s not so commercialized and touristy busy. I bet there’s some great rides to take.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:59 PM
BLMC
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Big Island used to have 2 dealers, might only be one now. Some great rides, not touristy. Lots of variety with everything from beach side to snow covered mountain top to lava flow to cattle ranches.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever flew to Hawaii and rented a bike