General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may be crazy, but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 05:08 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default I may be crazy, but...

If so,currently, there are at least 78 others like me.

I went here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wipey/the-wipey-mini-electric-wiper-made-for-bikers and then I followed the link Back this project in the green box that took me to a site called Kickstarter. On the Kickstarter site I pledged $89 + $25 shipping to be a backer for this project and be one of the first, as a backer, to obtain a WIPEY. Yeah, I guess I'm a little bit crazy, but if it truly works I think it might be a good investment. And, the projected retail price will be significantly higher later on.

The project must obtain $20,000 in pledges by July 24th or the campagne will not be considered fulfilled. They are over half way and the campagne has just started, and like I said above, there are 78 other backers like me. If the campagne does not make the July 24th date, my CC will not be charged (I hope). If the goal is reached, they said delivery will be in October.

One reason for my optimism in the product is that in their advertising they show the WIPEY​​​​​​ on a Shoei Helmet. I don't think Shoei would allow anyone to use their helmet in an advertisement unless there was some assurance the product wasn't just a gimmick.

Just thought I would pass this along...there might just be a few more crazy's like me out there wanting and willing to take a chance.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:37 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,511 Likes on 23,319 Posts

lol, now I have seen everything.

I have bought a few items in the past that get their startup funds through Kickstarter. It is legit.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

After you use "Wipey" in a rain storm and the rain stops, wouldn't you have a face shield that's all scratched up?

Greezey Rider (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:44 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,170 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyboy22
After you use "Wipey" in a rain storm and the rain stops, wouldn't you have a face shield that's all scratched up?
That was my thought as well.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:53 PM
roadmutt
Supporter
Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

Does the Wipey scrunch or fold?

Bama Lee (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 07:05 PM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

It appears that since it is either manually activated or remote, it wipes once any subsequent would be again activated by the rider. Interesting though.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:14 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
That was my thought as well.
Originally Posted by roadmutt
Does the Wipey scrunch or fold?
I don't know why they would scratch the face shield. Your wipers on your car don't scrape the windshield. And they can operate on different intermitten cycles. Important if you were riding in olny a misty rain vs. a heavy downpour.

From what I saw the wiper uses a blade that is soft and curved to suit the face shield. The wiper flips up when removing the Wipey.

I wonder more about how the wind force from travel speed effects the Wipey operation. Their video was not too clear on how they work while actually riding.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:18 PM
Redd Jedd
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I don't know why they would scratch the face shield. Your wipers on your car don't scrape the windshield. And they can operate on different intermitten cycles. Important if you were riding in olny a misty rain vs. a heavy downpour.

From what I saw the wiper uses a blade that is soft and curved to suit the face shield. The wiper flips up when removing the Wipey.

I wonder more about how the wind force from travel speed effects the Wipey operation. Their video was not too clear on how they work while actually riding.
Car windshields are made of glass, which is much harder to scratch. I would think that the plastic of a face shield is much more susceptible to being scratched by a wiper dragging road debris over it. And although Shoei probably does not endorse the product, I don't think they can do much to stop a company from using their product in an ad for an after market product.

RDFDJD (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:31 PM
Huskers
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Instead of waiting until October maybe, why not just get this one.

Wiper Wiper

Old 06-26-2019, 08:39 PM
RDFDJD
Cruiser
Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe not the first few uses but overtime of use its going to scratch the face shield. Road grime from a long days ride, on the way home and it starts raining, use the Wipey, get home buy new face shield. I think the idea is good but that's about it. You can use pledge, plexus, or RainX for plastic and water will bead off the face shield and not risk scratching it.

Quick Reply: I may be crazy, but...