General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I expect from Ohlins ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:49 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 838 Likes on 397 Posts
Default What should I expect from Ohlins ?

Currently riding 2016 SGS (30,500 miles) and looking to upgrade suspension. Looking for 13 inch and nothing 12. Just recently put Harley reach seat and now i'm in need to upgrade my rear and front suspension. 2 yrs back I had Indian Chieftain and ride on that was like a plush Cadilac. As much as I loved suspension on Chieftain, I hated everything about that bike. And as much I love everything about my Street Glide I hate it's suspension. Needless to say I would like to have Chieftain kind of suspension on my Street Glide. Would like to switch rear first with 13 inch and then go with 1 inch lower in front or just standard if lowering in the front will give me harsh ride.

Will it be possible to get that kind of plush riding from Ohlins ? Your inputs are appreciated.

Thank you

Old 06-27-2019, 03:30 AM
pfnork66
Cruiser

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

I was hoping for the same result. Big investment and the answer to your question is "no".

The following users liked this post:
mitchxout (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:33 AM
packmen21
Banned
Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by pfnork66
I was hoping for the same result. Big investment and the answer to your question is "no".
+1

Old 06-27-2019, 05:10 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

The real answer is who is setting up your suspension. Someone who does not know how to set it up, you just wasted your money. Anyone who answered your question with one word, my guess is what qualifications do they have to even answer you.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:47 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 332 Likes on 290 Posts

Simple & quick answer....
You'll need to order/ customize the correct spring rate and progression.

Assumption oil weight and compress/ rebound dampening is an apple to apple comparison.

Good luck, suspension tuning can take experimentation & time.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:51 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

The Street Glide is not designed to be plush. It is a stripped-down Ultra Classic with a lowered rear suspension(i.e. less travel), thinner wheel profile, and a thin seat. If you want to maximize plush, trade for an Ultra. You will never really get that kind of plush out of the SG unless you basically turn it into an Ultra by adding taller rear shocks, padded seat and front tire etc...

Old 06-27-2019, 08:27 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,499 Likes on 786 Posts

I was looking into Ohlins when upgrading the suspension on my Dyna, but came to the conclusion that I wont be getting my money's worth out of them. They are the top player in the suspension world but also come with a top dollar price that I wouldn't see the value in that kind of investment, "point of diminishing returns" I think is the correct phrase. Legend's is at a reasonable price point, I've upgraded my forks and shocks and couldn't be happier with the results.

The following 2 users liked this post by ThePaintPirate:
1 2 many (06-29-2019), vspkent (06-29-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

My experience with Ohlins in general has been excellent on metric bikes. However, not so much on my Street Glide. Like yourself, I wasn't looking for enhanced performance as much as comfort. The Ohlins (basically 13 inches)I had were a big improvement over stock, but still, nowhere near plush. I replaced those with 13.5 Progressive 444HDs and liked them quite a bit more. Still not ideal, but good enough that for now I am content That said I am tempted by the Pro Action 14 inch shocks.

On Street Glide vs Ultra - the rear tire is identical, so there is no reason the SG should be more harsh than an ultra other than the crap shocks. The stock seat is okay, but I replaced mine with a touring seat. The way my bike is set up, it's as smooth or smoother than any stock Ultra. Which unfortunately isn't saying much. HD ride quality isn't great.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:47 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
My experience with Ohlins in general has been excellent on metric bikes. However, not so much on my Street Glide. Like yourself, I wasn't looking for enhanced performance as much as comfort. The Ohlins (basically 13 inches)I had were a big improvement over stock, but still, nowhere near plush. I replaced those with 13.5 Progressive 444HDs and liked them quite a bit more. Still not ideal, but good enough that for now I am content That said I am tempted by the Pro Action 14 inch shocks.

On Street Glide vs Ultra - the rear tire is identical, so there is no reason the SG should be more harsh than an ultra other than the crap shocks. The stock seat is okay, but I replaced mine with a touring seat. The way my bike is set up, it's as smooth or smoother than any stock Ultra. Which unfortunately isn't saying much. HD ride quality isn't great.

I think if someone likes the look of the SG over the Ultra and values comfort and plush factor it is easier and much cheaper to just get an Ultra and purchase a removable tourpak mount. I would do that before spending a premium for the SG then going out and buying expensive aftermarket shocks and seats, taller screens etc...basically turning a SG into an Ultra sans tourpak.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
I think if someone likes the look of the SG over the Ultra and values comfort and plush factor it is easier and much cheaper to just get an Ultra and purchase a removable tourpak mount. I would do that before spending a premium for the SG then going out and buying expensive aftermarket shocks and seats, taller screens etc...basically turning a SG into an Ultra sans tourpak.

I went from an Ultra to the Street Glide. Yes, appearance was a big part of it. However, I bought it for much less than a comparable Ultra. That difference easily paid for the detachable tour pack and then some. I knew I was going to ditch the shocks, windshield, and seat regardless of what I bought, so that was a wash. I also don't like the tethered communication system. So for me, the SGS made sense.

If someone is looking for a plush (in HD terms) ride and touring abilities without making changes, I agree, the Ultra is the way to go. And the latest version of suspension is much improved. I could probably live with it. Not so much in 2014 when I bought my SGS.

Quick Reply: What should I expect from Ohlins ?