General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:23 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,216 Likes on 3,179 Posts
Default RE: Key fob batteries

ORIGINAL: PsycleFreak

Not sure if this is the answer, but mine died twice in six months. And i kept wondering why. I thought maybe the button is being pushed most of the time in my pockets. Ya know, being push up against something, i.e. lighter, cellphone, other keys, loose change. Well, I dont put them in my pockets anymore I hang them on my belt or belt loop. In the last six months they both have stayed strong with no sign of weakness. Maybe, just maybe, were running the batts down by being in our pockets....
That's what I was wondering. Also, maybe the fobs for the '07s have a button that sticks out more and makes it more likely to have something pushing against it.

But then, do the '07 fobs even have a button ?

If not, the batteries are to blame and must be made in China.......

Old 07-11-2007, 07:30 PM
drifter4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no buttons on the 07 fob. Just got to be within four feet of the bike or it won't start

Old 07-11-2007, 08:20 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: edilgdaor

Not sure if this is the answer, but mine died twice in six months. And i kept wondering why. I thought maybe the button is being pushed most of the time in my pockets. Ya know, being push up against something, i.e. lighter, cellphone, other keys, loose change. Well, I dont put them in my pockets anymore I hang them on my belt or belt loop. In the last six months they both have stayed strong with no sign of weakness. Maybe, just maybe, were running the batts down by being in our pockets....
That's what I was wondering. Also, maybe the fobs for the '07s have a button that sticks out more and makes it more likely to have something pushing against it.

The 07 FOBs are constantly ON and discharging the batterys, unlike the older style that are only ON when the button is pushed.
Isn't new technology awesome??????

Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,216 Likes on 3,179 Posts

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter
The 07 FOBs are constantly ON and discharging the batterys, unlike the older style that are only ON when the button is pushed.
Well, then there's a design flaw.

And it's "Representative of Product", so people need to scream. Loud enough to be heard over the noise in 5th gear.......

Seriously, I'd leave one fob with a brand new battery ( and I'd measure the voltage level of the battery before installing it )undisturbed, so that the dealer has no variables besides the key fob to blame it on. If he then tells you that it is OK for the fob to drain the batery that quickly, then it's time to start collecting numbers here of how many people are in the same orgy. All being screwed at the same time.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:35 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,843 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Had to replace mineabout 3 months after I bought my 06 FLSTC.Most batteries that come with most every battery powered device aren't worth a crap to begin with. Recently bought a Crest battery operated toothbrush and batteries lasted about 2 weeks.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:59 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SteelCityScooter

ORIGINAL: edilgdaor

Well then that's just plain stupid to design something like that. Of course no onehas ever said that there are rocket scientists working at the MOCO.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:59 AM
fatboy44
Outstanding HDF Member

Both mine died within a year, glad to hear I'm not the only one. Wal-Mart is a good place to buy new ones though.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 Pack around $3.00

Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 AM
warthawg
Tourer

’07 owners:

1. Change the batteries in your FOB on day one. It’s a CR2032 and can be found in most stores.
2. Buy an extra and keep it on the bike.
3. Change your PIN on day one.
4. Tear out the override instruction card in the back of the manual and keep it in your wallet.
5. Use the card to practice overriding the security before you need to use it for real.

The ’07 FOB is a proximity key, walk away from the bike and the starter is disabled, walk up to it and the starter is enabled. Unlike previous years it does not have a button. It’s not unlike a “Sun Pass” or other type of highway toll transponder. In fact my Sun Pass uses the same battery. Fortunately the battery is pretty common and isn’t something you have to buy from a dealer (go figure!).

Mine died at the worst possible time, but to make a long story short I had previously changed the PIN, had the override instructions in my wallet, and was able to get it started and to the dealer. I’d only had the bike for less than 2 weeks. Based on the manual and what the dealer told me, the bike does not come with an assigned FOB. The dealer has a box of them and assigns the FOBs to the security system for that bike at purchase time. The manual says you need to change the battery once a year, so there is no telling how long that FOB has been in the box of FOBs.

My bet is you will ultimately have to use the override code at some point, and as another person said in my original post you will be angry and the adrenalin will be pumping!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. Because of this thread, we are picking up a couple of extra batteries and I'll keep them inmy fork bag. My bike has the manual security system but my wife's is automatic. Good thread.