General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikers and smoking

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 11:25 AM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
The reason smoking affects healing is because the nicotine, found in tobacco products, is a vasoconstrictor. It reduces the size of blood vessels which restricts the flow of blood to tissues, including bone. Smokers can take almost twice as long to heal bone as a non-smoker. This increases the likelihood of delayed unions or nonunions (failed bone healing). When I advise smokers of this, which is my job, their usual response is "well I'll quit". They never do unless their surgery is postponed until they do quit, which I have done.

For those who like casual reading, here is the result of a Google search: Smoking and bone healing. There's 21,800,000 hits in under 0.5 seconds.
I did quit after the first demand by the doc. He gave me help by prescribing Welbutrin, which was before the government started being so concerned about patients with mental illness who own guns. For those who don't know, Welbutrin is (was?) the exact same formula of a well-known stop-smoking pill. Well-known as it was though, I can't remember the name, but anyway, it was not covered by insurance but Welbutrin was because it was marketed as being for depression. So my doc prescribed the pill that would both work and that I could afford. Combined with the patch, it worked pretty good, though quitting was still a chore to maintain. Like I said, fell off the wagon (close to a year after the surgery and a time or two subsequent), but I've stayed a 100% non-smoker for at least 14 years, maybe a little longer.

I am not a judgmental ***** by any stretch. I support freedom, which the ultra-high taxes on cigs is definitely not consistent with. I could afford to smoke anymore, so it's one little thing that keeps me from even taking a drag. I wish I could smoke, but I'm also glad I followed the program for more than a year post-op because the surgery did work. All I'm saying about it is that I choose to remain a non-smoker because of the cost and the hassle of having to quit again because it simply costs too much now. I am more supportive of people doing what they wish to do in this supposedly free country than anybody I know. No judgment at all towards those who don't make the same choices I do.

Blues

The following users liked this post:
Cozz (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:32 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Bikers and smoking-20190705_113022.jpg

Just sayin

The following 4 users liked this post by FLSTC-Dave:
Carl '69 (07-05-2019), Cozz (07-05-2019), Daniel58 (10-26-2020), Detroit Iron (07-09-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:45 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTC-Dave

Cozz (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 12:11 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

I am sure all you 'anti smoking' dudes have habits that I wouldn't be happy with, but each to his own. Do not preach to me, we still have some personal freedom !

Cozz (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 655 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CGLTD
A cigarette doesn’t have enough sustained heat to ignite a pool of gasoline. Gasoline ignites at 500-550 degrees and cigarettes burn at 450.
Gasoline doesn't actually ignite in liquid form, it is the vapors that ignite. Gasoline will produce flammable vapors at temperatures as low -50 degrees F. The vapors will auto ignite (ignite without any spark or fire) at around 495 degrees F. Of course, the vapors need to have the correct mixture of oxygen to burn, which is pretty unlikely up near your face while putting gas in your tank, but it still isn't a good idea to have anything burning in the area while you are fueling up.

I guess since I posted to the thread I should make a related comment. I honestly don't think that bikers smoke in any greater percentage than the rest of the population. It doesn't seem to me like the biker groups I am around smoke any more than other groups. I guess I haven't really paid any real attention to this, but I don't much care what other people do.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:22 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,630 Likes on 1,533 Posts

What's wrong with smoking bikers? SIL just let us know a grandson is on the way via a gender reveal burnout.

I celebrated the event with a cigar, being careful to stay downwind of the expecting mother.

Cygnusx51 (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 02:30 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
Here in California, smoking is a rarity, even among motorcycle riders. Thank God for that. Freaking hate cigarette smoke. Love beer, wine, whiskey, whisky, and women. Not necessarily in that order. But freaking hate cigarettes and cigarette smoke. Vile stuff.
I hate for a bunch of bums to chit in my street. But people out there dont seem to mind. I'll take a smoker any day and his butts.
kroozeabout.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:50 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,181 Likes on 3,525 Posts

Originally Posted by BluesStringer
For those who don't know, Welbutrin is (was?) the exact same formula of a well-known stop-smoking pill. Well-known as it was though, I can't remember the name, but anyway, it was not covered by insurance but Welbutrin was because it was marketed as being for depression.*snip
I believe it was Chantix.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:17 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

I understand smokers wanting to smoke in bars, but if i'm out trying to have a nice dinner i sure don't want someone blowing cig. smoke at me while i'm eating. Smoking and non- smoking sections come to mind here.

If i'm at a bar and the smoke is bothering me i'll just move to where it doesn't. No big deal.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
I understand smokers wanting to smoke in bars, but if i'm out trying to have a nice dinner i sure don't want someone blowing cig. smoke at me while i'm eating. Smoking and non- smoking sections come to mind here.

If i'm at a bar and the smoke is bothering me i'll just move to where it doesn't. No big deal.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.

Quick Reply: Bikers and smoking