General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a VERY interesting ride earlier tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:18 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Had a VERY interesting ride earlier tonight.

Well I was cruising along about 60, minding my own business and enjoying the ride when I got hit in the face by a big bug. No surprise there, it happens to everyone, right.

Good thing I ALWAYS wear glasses, cause this one hit square in the center of the lft lens. It nearly knocked the glasses off but it also instantly blinded my left eye when it covered the lens in bug guts.

So I’m trying to keep the bike going straight with my right hand and wipe the lens off with the left when I get hit in the right hand by something that felt like a brick. The bike nearly went off the road from the impact and my hand is hurting like hell so I forget about the bug guts and try to pull over and stop to check things out.

As I’m pulling over I can see a police cars lights flashing behind me in my left mirror, the right one is turned completely sideways and worthless.

Once I get the bike stopped and as I’m shutting it off the cop gets out and walks up to me asking if I’m OK. Before I can say a word wondering what he’s going to give me a ticket for he starts laughing his head off.

Now I’m confused, I can’t see out of one eye, the fingers on my right hand are hurting like hell and this nut is nearly hysterical laughing. I’m hoping whatever he’s laughing about is something that’s truly funny and its not because giving me a ticket is going to put him over his quota for the month.

It takes him a minute to catch his breath and call in to cancel the possible DUI arrest. Then while I’m nursing some sore fingers and trying to clean bug guts off my glasses he tells me that he had pulled in behind me just before I hit the bug and was thinking I might be drunk because I was weaving around a little trying to wipe the bug off my glasses. Then he saw a crow fly off some road kill in front of me.

I never saw it because I was trying to get the bug off. He didn’t actually see me hit it, but knew I had because there was a sudden explosion of black feathers around me.

What he had though was funny was seeing me when he walked up. Seems that he doesn’t get to see many guy’s with a face full of bug guts everywhere but his eyes and feathers on his jacket. When I walked over to his car headlights I could see what he was talking about. The front of my leather jacket was peppered with black feathers, as well as other bits and pieces of crow.

Anyway he turned out to be a nice guy, he rides a Road King off duty, and gave me some paper towels and stuck around with his flashing lights on to cover me while I used his headlights to clean off the crow and bug remains.

Amazingly the bike doesn’t seem to have a mark or feather on it and the mirror just needed to be adjusted and retightened, a 5 minute fix once I got home to my tools.

So anyone else have “fun” riding today?

Old 07-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Had a VERY interesting ride earlier tonight.

WOW!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Paul.C.
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha.ha. at least there are some good cops out there [8D]

Old 07-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Bluerose

Oh you poor thing....Glad it was something you could wind up laughing at[&:]

Old 07-13-2007, 12:37 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

you just MIGHT show up on one of those "Funniest Video" shows!!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:43 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: New2Harley
you just MIGHT show up on one of those "Funniest Video" shows!!
Is'Cops' considered one of the Funniest Video shows?

Bluerose,
If the swelling in my fingers goes down by moring I'll consider it a laughing matter. Right now a couple of fingers are still throbbing a bit.
Maybe I'm a littleparinoid but its a good thing Iwear glasses, gloves and a jacket even in the summer.
Are you really parinoid if you do something for good reason?

Old 07-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Bluerose

Not paranoid at all....I feel naked without my gloves and glasses...I tend to throw on my switchback jacket more often then not. Makes me comfortable.

Hope the fingers are not broke...that would suck.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:08 AM
tater2stock
Cruiser

That is just CRAZY, damn glad you are ok!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Paul.C.
Road Captain

It does sound very funny, But yeah I hope your fingers are OK

And yes safety gear is there for one reason only

Old 07-13-2007, 01:35 AM
Katie
Elite HDF Member

Lol. glad it wasn't a bad ending.. my day was interesting; posted in the Off topic part, lol, but your's is Way better! lol

Quick Reply: Had a VERY interesting ride earlier tonight.