General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Photochromic Bifocal Motorcycle Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 05:26 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,172 Likes on 729 Posts

I've tried progressive lenses in the past.

They didn't work for me. Working/reading on the computer fell within the intermediate field which was annoying (too narrow). I felt like I had to move my head side to side the read an entire sentence. I instead went with occupational progressives (called various things, but "occupational" works for me). The OPs have only two fields - intermediate and near. The upside to the OPs is that the center of the hour glass shape in the intermediate focal area is much wider and much less annoying. You only use them for reading or working on the computer vs. regular progressives that are worn all the time (the far field for me was almost no RX).

In any case, I don't know if I'd like progressives on a bike. But then again maybe. I suspect they wouldn't be cheap.

For the moment, I'm going to go the cheap route. Maybe bifocals will work good enough.

https://bikershades.com/product/airfoil-bifocal/

Last edited by T^2; 08-27-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Tomahawk309
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 72 Posts

I like transitions but they don't get dark in the car because the auto glass blocks the uv rays.
I've had bad luck with ordering glasses online. I'm 0 for 2. In fact, I just sent a pair back yesterday. I wear progressives and I took them to my eye dr to check them and the reading power was wrong as well as the distance part of the right eye. The PD measurement was also wrong.
A couple of years ago I had some wileyx progressives made. They made me kind of dizzy when first putting them on but it went away after wearing them awhile. I never took those to get checked because it wasn't really that bad but to this day when I first out them on you can tell something is not quite right regarding the progressives and I get that vertigo type feeling for a couple of minutes.....
My .02....
Edit: I clicked on mchad's link and see that the xtractive get dark in the car. I'll have to check that out.

Last edited by Tomahawk309; 08-27-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,411 Likes on 2,641 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Has anybody ever come across photochromic bifocal motorcycle glasses?

Photochromic - yup. Bifocal - yup. Both together - nope. At least that's what I'm finding.

Perhaps I'll just have to buy and carry two pairs of Bifocals - one for the day and one for night.
I've used these with regular sunglasses, they work great. I have a set on my daytime sunglasses and one on my clear/night glasses. So buy your photochromic glasses and stick these things on

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Keithhu; 08-27-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:42 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 444 Likes on 223 Posts

I use the Transitions Xtractive and really like them. I'm on my second pair. I find the slight tint at night helps to cut down on glare. I also use them in the car or truck. They don't get as dark as regular sunglasses but they do darken behind the windshield.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:47 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
XtraActive is what I'm talking about. Not "Drivewear"
Still don't see where they are allowed for night driving. I was told by more than one LEO source they didn't know of any that could be worn at night for driving or riding a motorcycle (legally), I inquired myself with County and State. They said couldn't pull you over unless noticeably dark, but if you had a wreck and they noticed you were wearing them, might be some problems or if pulled over for something else. The site also claims they are not a replacement for sunglasses.

Those are non-polarized, I like polarized, they actually get an F- for fishing, beach and prolonged outdoor activities, etc. I would still need two sets of glasses. Those actually reduce harmful light from computers, so maybe worth getting anyway.

I see they have face shields for my Bell now, but I would still need to carry sunglasses for off the bike. So back to square one. I just need reading glasses so I usually don't carry those around, I have a pair at work and a pair at home.

Florida can be a biatch for tinted glasses at night, anything rated less than 80% light will probably get you in trouble.

The following users liked this post:
TiRider (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 09:03 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

About 2 years ago I purchased my progressive riding glasses from a company called ADS Sports Eyewear. I have a strong prescription so it was difficult trying to find a pair of riding glasses that were wrap around. ADS said they can help me. I picked 3 different WileyX model frames that had the RxRim (insert for strong prescription) for them to send me to try on to see which fit me the best. I picked the "Boss" model. They are transition lenses also and get very dark very fast. They also have a foam eye seal which of course lets zero light in so they look even more black. These have worked very well for me and I will just replace the lenses when my prescription changes. There is one downfall to these and that is that they were expensive, $450.00. However, for me, it was well worth it.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,519 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by slw210
Still don't see where they are allowed for night driving. I was told by more than one LEO source they didn't know of any that could be worn at night for driving or riding a motorcycle (legally), I inquired myself with County and State. They said couldn't pull you over unless noticeably dark, but if you had a wreck and they noticed you were wearing them, might be some problems or if pulled over for something else. The site also claims they are not a replacement for sunglasses.

Those are non-polarized, I like polarized, they actually get an F- for fishing, beach and prolonged outdoor activities, etc. I would still need two sets of glasses. Those actually reduce harmful light from computers, so maybe worth getting anyway.

I see they have face shields for my Bell now, but I would still need to carry sunglasses for off the bike. So back to square one. I just need reading glasses so I usually don't carry those around, I have a pair at work and a pair at home.

Florida can be a biatch for tinted glasses at night, anything rated less than 80% light will probably get you in trouble.

These are my Transitions XtrActive. They are essentially clear lenses at night. Plenty dark for me in direct, cloudless summer sunlight. Never wanted dedicated sunglasses when wearing, and never had the slightest issue at night. Make your own judgement. Worrying about the legality of a *slight* tint on prescription lenses is getting a bit too paranoid IMO. Good luck, I'm back to talking about bikes :-)

The following users liked this post:
6113_ (08-28-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 07:31 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

So I received the bifocals from Biker Shades...

https://bikershades.com/product/airfoil-bifocal/

Vision-wise... They work perfectly. The magnification area is perfectly placed. It's pretty cool actually being able to see stuff while riding. Clarity, tinting, etc. was perfect.

I don't know if it's really a ding or not, but if you want a complete/tight seal, you won't get it with these glass. They aren't designed to fully seal - the foam doesn't go around the complete circumference of the eye piece. It covers all the top and bottom, but leaves the outer part/side bare where the earpiece attaches. To me it didn't matter in terms of performance. They worked fine at speed. My eyes were fine (no tearing or irritation of any kind). In fact there was an advantage to how the seal is designed. They breathe a lot better than a pair of Bobsters I own that have a complete seal around the circumference of each eyepiece. I'm wondering if these Biker Shades will have less fogging issues in cold weather because of their seal design. Won't know for another month or two perhaps.

So for $25 shipped, you get the shades, a decent hard case, a soft pouch, and string retainer. Not too shabby.

I ordered a second set - night (yellow) glasses.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:16 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Perhaps another ding... The Biker Shades Airfoil also have a tad bit of a glare issue when heading directly into the afternoon sun.

Old 08-31-2019, 03:37 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD51
Check out Icicles. https://www.icicles.com/collections/big-daddy-bagger
I love mine!
Aircraft alum. frame, transition lenses with bifocals, avail. in several styles and lenses.
Lenses can be changed out easily also.
I'm in the market but 400 bucks is pretty steep.

Quick Reply: Photochromic Bifocal Motorcycle Glasses