Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   J&S Lifts or Jack as some call them (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1302931-j-and-s-lifts-or-jack-as-some-call-them.html)

tmac00333 10-01-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by stixvrad (Post 18582394)
They sent me a new bottle jack to replace the original one that leaked after one week. That was a year ago. I've been using it at least once a week to spin my bike around in the garage as well as having used it many times to detail or do maintenance,.
No problems at all since having replaced that original bottle jack. Stick with the J&S.
As others have said, the frame is the nizzle.

I've had terrible dealings with the J&S people. Their customer service is the worst ever. I'd go with Pitbull if I had it to do over again.

Roadie13 10-01-2019 10:10 AM

Love the jack, hate the bottle. Mine crapped out after 15 months. Offered me 15% off since it was barely out of warranty, thought they should have just replaced it but oh well. Decided to wait and upgrade to air operated bottle when it came out earlier this year. Very nice people once you get ahold of them, but frequency and accuracy of communication on their behalf was flat out terrible and the first bottle they shipped had the wrong adapter plate after a month delay from the first time it was going to ship "for sure" according to them. I'll pay extra for made in USA, but they are slowly ruining the reputation of what has been a high quality product in the past. If they have switched bottle manufacturers and fixed the issue I'd recommend them. If they still have bottle issues I'd buy a pit bull next time.

joes bar and grill 10-01-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by shorelasHD (Post 18582105)
Presumably the bottle jack is leaking? Just pull it off, get a $30 bottle jack from Walmart or Harbor Freight, drill 2 holes in the base, mount, and problem solved. :icon_nic:

For 600 bucks the jack shouldn't leak

Vipers Harley 10-01-2019 11:29 AM

J&S

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr (Post 18581875)
I keep my bike in a 10x20 storage unit with about a 7 foot gravel bank to get into it. I'm more nervous backing a 900 lb bike down that gravel, than I am riding up a ramp to get it into the unit. I was considering a J&S to spin the bike around inside the unit, and just head out rather than backing down that gravel bank. I'll be following this one.

It would be great for what you need that is what I do with mine as well, rolls great! If you can get one with z good bottle jack on it.

Vipers Harley 10-02-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by klap (Post 18582095)
put the hydraulic 15 year old yellow cheap jack on the j&s..problem solved..the frame on the j&s is the main thing anyway..hell, you can put a harbor freight jack on it and be ok..

For what the J&S cost I shouldn't have to disable one jack to fix the high dollar one, frankly if they gave a hoot they would have good Jack's to start with.

Vipers Harley 10-02-2019 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by shorelasHD (Post 18582105)
Presumably the bottle jack is leaking? Just pull it off, get a $30 bottle jack from Walmart or Harbor Freight, drill 2 holes in the base, mount, and problem solved. :icon_nic:

Yep that's what I guess I will do, bought a $600 plus jack that's supposed to be the best only to find I've got to find a compatible bottle jack modify it to work..

I'm so stoked to own another USA assembled item made with Chinese parts.

skratch 10-02-2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by joes bar and grill (Post 18582817)
For 600 bucks the jack shouldn't leak

for $25,000 the oil shouldn't transfer from your transmission
for $60,000 the wheels on the truck shouldn't shimmy
for $5,000,000 plus the airplane shouldn't fall out of the sky.

but they do.

the lift is made in the usa, not just assembled and is awesome. the bottle jack is not (and is not so awesome). anything mechanical is prone to failure at some point. I've had my j&s jack for almost 10 years. it has never failed me. the bottle jack itself, while not the best thing in the world, has always managed to lift the bike up, and lower it down. it seeps oil, but doesn't puddle it. I top it off every year or so and continue on. if it ever gives up the ghost, i'll buy a new bottle jack, drill the base plates and install it. and continue to be happy. who knows, maybe i'll even go with the air over oil bottle jack.....

tmac00333 10-02-2019 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Vipers Harley (Post 18585116)
For what the J&S cost I shouldn't have to disable one jack to fix the high dollar one, frankly if they gave a hoot they would have good Jack's to start with.

I heard that. I went round and round with them on this subject after my J&S jack failed. They treated me like dirt and never did one darn thing to help solve the problem. I will never deal with those people again.

Tampa Fatboy 10-02-2019 01:46 PM

They've always had leak issues, under warranty you're ok, after that not so much.

stixvrad 10-02-2019 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by tmac00333 (Post 18582641)
I've had terrible dealings with the J&S people. Their customer service is the worst ever. I'd go with Pitbull if I had it to do over again.

Your not the first to say that either. My experience was exactly the opposite. I bet a lot has t do with who you end up dealing with at their company.