General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me? (Bad dealer experience)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:24 PM
pitbulldog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me? (Bad dealer experience)

I'm wondering if this is widespread or just the HD dealer local to me. Whenever I call, most of the time I cannot get through to a live person. I'm either put on hold or told someone will call me back, which about 50% of the time doesn't happen. Since they list all the department members and e-mail addresses on the web site, I decided I would e-mail the Assistant Service Manager with questions about 15,000 mile service and new tires. This was five days ago. I have not heard anything back from him. I called this morning and asked the same questions, (price, availability, mounting cost) to a Parts Department guy, who actually did return my call. After a lot of questions, "Did my Springer Classic have a 21" front wheel (??), I was on hold for about 15 minutes then the line went dead.

This isn't the first second, or even fifth time this type of thing has happened. It is such a frequent occurance I've lost count of how many times.

Here's my dilema: There is no other dealership worth a crap (this one is questionable) anywhere near me. I've thought about contacting the owner, but then I have to deal with a bunch of people who are mad because I went over their heads. I'm trying to be patient with them but it's really starting to get on my nerves.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-16-2007, 12:31 PM
streetboob
Road Warrior
Default RE: Is it just me? (Bad dealer experience)

Find an independent mechanic to do your service. Most of them are bikers who are/were displeased with the local stealers service. Will most likely be cheaper as well.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master

Sux.
I don't have this issue with my area dealers.
However, as options:
Do you have the ability to do your own maintenance?
-or-
Are there not any independent MC/HD mechanic shops in your area?

If yes to either of those, only go to the dealer for warranty items.
Considering you own an '05 you may not have a warranty.
If that's the case, screw the dealer you don't NEED them for anything.

Count on a reliable indy or the kind/knowledgeable folks on this forum for everything else.
Parts can be orderd on line.
Purchase a manual.

If any of these solutions don't work for you, please explain why not.
There are much smarter people than me around here who'll chime in with solution I'm sure.

For now, I'd give up on the dealer.
It sounds like you've been more than patient.
They don't deserve your money and aren't worth your time.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:40 PM
helixhippie
Road Master

My expiriences are the same as yours. I do all my own work now. My latest waste of time: I needed a center bolt for a used air cleaner cover so I went in last weekend for the 1st time in months. I found the same aircleaner on the wall with the bolt in the blister pack & took it to the parts counter. I asked if they stocked it & the reply was: "I don't know, maybe not." And he turned away & ignored me for several minutes until I left the store. There were no other customers at the counter the whole time. There were several other parts I might have asked for but not after that, I'll stick with eBay.
This was at Rocket Harley in Huntsville, Al. but there's always that kind of attitude at nearly every dealer I've been to in the last several years. Sorry to whine, Misery loves company......
(Red River Harley in Oklahoma has treated me great everytime I stop in there!)

Old 07-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master

ORIGINAL: helixhippie

My expiriences are the same as yours. I do all my own work now. My latest waste of time: I needed a center bolt for a used air cleaner cover so I went in last weekend for the 1st time in months. I found the same aircleaner on the wall with the bolt in the blister pack & took it to the parts counter. I asked if they stocked it & the reply was: "I don't know, maybe not." And he turned away & ignored me for several minutes until I left the store. There were no other customers at the counter the whole time. There were several other parts I might have asked for but not after that, I'll stick with eBay.
This was at Rocket Harley in Huntsville, Al. but there's always that kind of attitude at nearly every dealer I've been to in the last several years. Sorry to whine, Misery loves company......
(Red River Harley in Oklahoma has treated me great everytime I stop in there!)
Damn!
That's not whining bro.
I give you props for not putting a verbal beating in that guys ear.
I'd a said something to really get his attention if he gave me that attitude.
You did the right thing by just walking out though.
At least pitbull was getting blown-off by phone/email.
IN PERSON, that hella-sux.

How do these guys stay in business?
Seems like if any area dealers here had that attitude the other dealers would shut 'em down pretty quick.
You have to guess a dealer with even decent service would outlast the crap described here.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:18 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't get through to my closest dealer on the phone either. I find it quite disturbing. I am also glad I didn't buy my bike there. If I need info I post on the forum. This is info central as far as I am concerned. Sometimes it takes a while, but it is worth it as the info I get is always correct. I usually go to the stealer only if I know what I need and it is a small inexpensivce part. The good thing is they have most everything in stock.

Upon discovering the lack of service this delaer provided I went to the next closest stealer and was greeted with a smile and lots of good info. It is worth it to me to drive a little further to be treated well and given good info. I have not tried calling them as the other one left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:28 PM
cst010
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/quote]

. . .

How do these guys stay in business?

[/quote]

Ioften wonder that myself! It apears from all the complaints that I read on this forum most all the dealers are really bad at sales, service, parts. I wonder, if one was treated this way at an auto parts store, do they keep going back to the same place? And, it seems some ride a great distancejust to be ignored and/or ripped off. If the Indian and Victory motorcycles were doing better, would that have any affect on the attidute of the HD dealers?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

I see you list Missouri- I use the Columbia Mo dealer and have not had those issues (i'd be real surprised if wewe'retalking about the same dealer).Harley dealers are likea monopoly. As long as they have plenty of customers (usually because they are within large metro area like Kansas City or St Louis) they really don't need the extra work you have for them, there isanother 10 folks behind you waiting to get whatever you wanted. With a car you cango to anotherdealership in town and tons of other machanics close by so they have to work a little harder to make you happy or you may even switch brands. How many Harley riderswould switch brands becauseof their dealer? By the way, I hear Metric dealers aren't much better.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:53 PM
theoldguy
Tourer

Ya know, I may be the odd one out here, but every time I called the dealer the phone was answered promptly and politely, transferred me to whatever dept. I needed, and they ALWAYS answered with thank you for calling East Coast Harley, this is ________ how can I help you? Never really had a bad experience, except when I had my baby there for some warranty work and it was there too long. Maybe I just got lucky when I called?

Old 07-16-2007, 02:25 PM
pitbulldog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: streetboob

Find an independent mechanic to do your service. Most of them are bikers who are/were displeased with the local stealers service. Will most likely be cheaper as well.
Anyone have any suggestions for independents in Southwest Missouri, Springfield area?

Thanks and also thanks everyone for your input.

Quick Reply: Is it just me? (Bad dealer experience)