General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's tougher

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
JLION
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's tougher

I see gun control (or lack of it) is a big deal here. I had 1 classmate (out of 50) killed by an accidental discharge, another schoolmate permentantly crippled and myself suffered a minor gunshot wound while hunting.

Personally, I think packin' around a bunch of firearms is far more dangerous than the prospect of some real criminal accosting me. My experience suggests inexperienced mankillers have to get pretty damn close to their target to hit it with a sidearm. So, if they can get within 5-6ft of me without suffering a chain lashing or a slashing, I guess they can try their best impression of Wyatt Earp on me.

But, I digress.

So. Who is tougher.

Those who carry, letting Winchester do their bidding.

Or, those who swing something less. Perhaps, only what God gave them?

Old 07-17-2007, 05:58 PM
JLION
Banned
Default RE: Who's tougher

And, on different but similar note.

I've managed to do without an automobile quite nicely for the past 15 months. Learned how to balance all manner of sh*t on my motorbike, including groceries stashed in up to 3 different spots on the beater.

But. I have not found a way to post, while riding.

So, it seems to me. That those with such impressive posting numbers must, by definition, be spending far less time in the saddle than us 'newbies'. Who often get a tongue lashing like we're unworthy to spout off about whatever because we haven't spent a dozen light years on our laptops pounding away.

Well, pardon me.

Bein' contrary was what motorbikers was all about when I was trained.

So, get used to it, and stow the "L's". Or save them for your 'puter (not putter) buddies.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JLION

So. Who is tougher.

Those who carry, letting Winchester do their bidding.

Or, those who swing something less. Perhaps, only what God gave them?
With all due respect, but I think you've categorized those who carry incorrectly. The vast majority of those individuals who legally carry a concealed weapon will only find cause to utilize such as a final and last resort. The most powerful weapon and method of deterrent is the mind; not any firearm nor pair of fists. Of the two - those who carry a firearm and those who swing something less - I'd venture to state that the tougher of the two will boil down to who's of the better mindset when things go to pot.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally don't think that toughness revolves around being armed or not. Some people might think they need to be well equipped to defend what they imagine toughness is. But I'm 6'4" 260, and I'm sure there's somebody out there that thinks that they should have an equilizer of some sort, be it a 2x4, Knife, Gun whatever. Toughness is more a state of mind than arsonal. (But I have THAT too)

Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 PM
darkside
Banned

Your painting with too broad a stroke.Your question could only be factually answered if every single person was studied on a case by case basis.I have an old friend that was a national kickboxing champion that packs legally and is a proficient shot.I also know a guy that has claimed to have never once been in a fight that is the most amazing shootist I have ever seen. In a fist fight one is going to get destroyed while the other would absolutely destroy others.That said if you ever ran across the gentleman that has never fought with the intention of doing him harm I,m quite certain you would leave said altercation in a body bag.Is one tougher than the other? Scenarios play out in infinitelly different ways therefore who's to say wich is tougher.The only reason to carry is to make certain you can cover most of those scenarios.Like Txharleyguy2007 to even be considered for a ccw you need to be a proficient shot. Your brain is the key to being 'tough'.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:23 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well you look like the pot calling the kettle black. 65 posts in 17 days thats not a small number
you will be right up here with us impressive posters before you know it if you stay.I manage to put 4-500 miles a week on my bike and still run my mouth here with the best of them. Has someone told you to "shut up your opinion sucks" here lately or you just full of vigor today??

So, it seems to me. That those with such impressive posting numbers must, by definition, be spending far less time in the saddle than us 'newbies'. Who often get a tongue lashing like we're unworthy to spout off about whatever because we haven't spent a dozen light years on our laptops pounding away.

Well, pardon me.

So, get used to it, and stow the "L's". Or save them for your 'puter (not putter) buddies.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

troll [:@]

Old 07-17-2007, 06:37 PM
shoptroll
Banned

ORIGINAL: darkside

Your painting with too broad a stroke.Your question could only be factually answered if every single person was studied on a case by case basis.I have an old friend that was a national kickboxing champion that packs legally and is a proficient shot.I also know a guy that has claimed to have never once been in a fight that is the most amazing shootist I have ever seen. In a fist fight one is going to get destroyed while the other would absolutely destroy others.That said if you ever ran across the gentleman that has never fought with the intention of doing him harm I,m quite certain you would leave said altercation in a body bag.Is one tougher than the other? Scenarios play out in infinitelly different ways therefore who's to say wich is tougher.The only reason to carry is to make certain you can cover most of those scenarios.Like Txharleyguy2007 to even be considered for a ccw you need to be a proficient shot. Your brain is the key to being 'tough'.
Brilliantly stated, sir!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 PM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only ride is my Harley and I have put more miles on my bike in a week then many do in a year and still have time to post. Oh and by the way, I carry and am licensed and never had an accidental discharge in my life or pulled it out in public. I am a trained weapons instructor as well. There is a flaw in your assumption.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

And, on different but similar note.

I've managed to do without an automobile quite nicely for the past 15 months. Learned how to balance all manner of sh*t on my motorbike, including groceries stashed in up to 3 different spots on the beater.

Well, pardon me.

I'm hoping this thread is not intended to try & call certain members here out,or a continuation of the thread I locked earlier today.
As far as post counts,some get to post while at work,,,,,,,like me,,,,hence my post count.