General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Sportster 1200 wont roll.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 02:02 PM
isahermit
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Sportster 1200 wont roll.

Hey everyone, quick question / advice search. I have an 2009 Sportster 1200 low, bike has low miles and ran fine before parked. Bike has a completely dead battery at the moment and when i try to roll it backwards or frontwards it is VERY hard to move, as if almost in gear. Unable to definitely say its in neutral because no power to light but im pretty positive it is. Even with clutch pulled all the way in it is very hard to move. Bike has been in family but hardly ridden these past few years. Curious if this is an issue from it being "ice" cold and about 40 degrees outside and the bike not be able to get warm due to the battery. Never had this issue with my 97 1200 i have now so was curious on any info.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,034 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Originally Posted by isahermit
Unable to definitely say its in neutral because no power to light
It’s probably still in gear. Even with clutch pulled in it will be hard to push.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 02:16 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,160 Likes on 11,439 Posts

Maybe the brakes are dragging..calipers are stuck from sitting so long.

GPHDXLC (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 02:40 PM
isahermit
Stage III

Think that would change when started and warmed up a bit? Ill try and grab a nettery today and get it started, worse comes to worse it will hop and stall i guess? Just trying to get it going before its the prime season.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:57 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,647 Likes on 3,884 Posts

Pull in the clutch, while rocking fwd and backwards using your butt and handlebars, down shift to low and then pull up shifting it into netural. It takes that since the motor is not running to spin transmission gears to allow it to pop up into netural. Don't force it .

May even need to let out clutch while rocking. Doing this, you can actually work your way up thru gears and then back down. Little practice and you will sense and fill it click in gears and up in netural. Note gears teeth are always engaged, it jut the large square drive dogs on the side that lock the freewheeling gear to the shaft engaging each drive range.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-15-2020 at 03:03 PM.
RK4ME (02-16-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 03:03 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,230 Likes on 2,270 Posts

forgive me...but how can one "not tell" if bike is in neutral or not?

is there air in the tires???

..L.T.A.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:13 PM
isahermit
Stage III

Originally Posted by Cap77
forgive me...but how can one "not tell" if bike is in neutral or not?

is there air in the tires???

..L.T.A.
Plenty of air in the tires, what i am saying is the feels as if its behaving like its almost in gear. The bike cannot start at the moment due to the battery and with the clutch pulled it behaves the same exact way. Like is aid i believe the bike is in neutral, i feel the same half step up from first just my 97, doesnt roll like the 97 though with the clutch fully engaged. The bike hasnt been like down and out sitting, ran at the end of august to be put in a car port. My sportster doesnt have a neutral light anymore so i am fairly familiar with the small step feeling but this one seems a bit different, could aslo be the brakes. Ill get abttery and try that out first, the light should let me know.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:24 PM
Temple Brooks's Boyfriend
Banned
Received 319 Likes on 156 Posts

Put a heater next to it for a couple of hours.Then jack the bike up with wheels off the ground and with help of an assistant get things rolling again. Dont try starting until your positive it's in neutral and the clutch works. I'm thinking the friction plates have seized up along with the diaphragm plate spring plate. But who knows at this point.

leachman (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 10:00 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,510 Likes on 2,996 Posts

Originally Posted by isahermit
Plenty of air in the tires, what i am saying is the feels as if its behaving like its almost in gear. The bike cannot start at the moment due to the battery and with the clutch pulled it behaves the same exact way. Like is aid i believe the bike is in neutral, i feel the same half step up from first just my 97, doesnt roll like the 97 though with the clutch fully engaged. The bike hasnt been like down and out sitting, ran at the end of august to be put in a car port. My sportster doesnt have a neutral light anymore so i am fairly familiar with the small step feeling but this one seems a bit different, could aslo be the brakes. Ill get abttery and try that out first, the light should let me know.
Never "trust" that green neutral lamp. Never.

OldEnuf2NoBtr (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 11:06 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 1,742 Posts

thats normal dude for any harley or even bikes of any make

Quick Reply: 09 Sportster 1200 wont roll.