General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Would Your Dealer Have Done?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What Would Your Dealer Have Done?

Actually, after reading Fandango6's story, I would say he was treated better than most. I wish more dealers were that helpful.Hell, just having the servicewriter come to check on him and his bike. It seems that he was well taken care of. The warranty stuff could takes days and I don't think I would want to sit around and mess with that far from home.

IMHO.

Glad to hear you got back on the road.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: alexcue

Fandango, appreciate your honesty with how you really feel things went down. I was just up around that area on vacation with the family. Pagosa Springs is a beautiful area, those mountains around there are just incredible, have to watch your speed coming down some of those grades.

I had a chance to visit the Durango HD, and it seems to me, because of the GPS that they moved to their new location right off the highway recently. In the end it seems that they gave you pretty decent service.

I just recently had a problem with the front axle pinch bolt fell off on a trip after getting a wheel change at my local Glendale HD dealer. Not exactly stellar service. Anyway i stopped by the local dealer in Elk Grove, CA to show them my problem. Service writer saw it, shook his head and said give me a second. He went into the service bay picked up a part with the nuts and proceeded to put it on and tighten up to spec, right on the spot. Took all of 5 minutes. When i tried to pay he just smiled and said "I'm glad you made it here". There are good people out there, even HD people. I felt guilty and ran into the store and bought a shirt!
Bought a shirt huh?Reminds me of whenI was in Fresno California two summers ago and we were heading south and east. Had been riding in temps up to 108, buthad a deal with the wife if it got over 110 we were going to find a trailer or something, she just couldn't take any more of the heat. Well the forecast was for even hotter weather were we were heading to so I rented a U Haul truck just down the street from Mathews Harley Davidson. Wife drove the truck and I pulled in behind. Two guys came out and we loaded the bike, I can still picture the one guy in the back of that box truck, water was running off him as he was strapping down the bike. When I wanted to pay they wouldn't hear of it and they even gave me the straps! Probably get them when new bikes come in on crates. Any how I went in a bought a Mathew’s tee shirt and left the guys money for lunch.
It was 116 in Needles when we pulled in that evening LOL finally unloaded in Oklahoma when it got down under 105.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:35 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you made out ok and got to enjoy your vacation.
Another lesson to be learned here is, laced wheesl are real pretty, but if ya gonna tour you need cast wheels. If you get a flat on a laced wheel ya gotta tow it or remove the tire at roadside and take it to the shop. Thats not a good thing. As far as I know, only BMW makes a laced tubeless wheel, which you can plug. Also, if you are touring its best to keep the bike as stock as possible. Its always good to have 2 bikes...LMAO A good number dealers won't touch some modified bikes, others don't have a problem with it.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:56 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fandango6

Get Hog membership if you’re not a member and pay the $29 a year fee for unlimited towing if you’re going to travel away from home or some other type of road side assistance. In my case I had to pay for the roll back to come from Paragosa Springs to get to me in Creede, to the shop in Duranngo andback to Paragosa Springs. Driver gave me a break and gave us the AAA rate, but was still EXPENSIVE!

Just a note... the HOG membership only covers up to $100 for towing, one time per year. I blew a stator on the Cape Breton Trail, NS last month. Called HOG, they said the tow would be $500 minus my $100 credit. I called a local guy and got it done for $400, and am hoping for a $100 refund from HOG.

-fish

Old 07-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: fishheadsaid

Get Hog membership if you’re not a member and pay the $29 a year fee for unlimited towing if you’re going to travel away from home or some other type of road side assistance. In my case I had to pay for the roll back to come from Paragosa Springs to get to me in Creede, to the shop in Duranngo andback to Paragosa Springs. Driver gave me a break and gave us the AAA rate, but was still EXPENSIVE!

Just a note... the HOG membership only covers up to $100 for towing, one time per year. I blew a stator on the Cape Breton Trail, NS last month. Called HOG, they said the tow would be $500 minus my $100 credit. I called a local guy and got it done for $400, and am hoping for a $100 refund from HOG.

-fish
Well, you have to payan extra $29 for the unlimited towing with Hog, When you have a Hog membership it comes with the limited $100 towing included in the price of membership.
I was up Cape Brenton last year, how far did the tow have to travel?
I my case the truck came about 75 miles to pick us up, then about 150 to the dealership and 75 back to Paragosa were we started from...$603.00 I'm to submit a claim to Pergressive as they include $100 towing with the policy, but wonder if they will jack up my rate. I thought I could get something from Hog too, but I didn't call them for the towwhich I think is required.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:36 PM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

-fish
Sorry to get off topic, but ...

Fish, are you talking about the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada??? ... I'm actually from Cape Breton, (and takegreatpride in that fact)and with the mostly US population on the forum, I don't get to hear of too many experiences with rides in my home province.

Anyway, just wondering how you enjoyed your time in Cape Breton? Scenery, hosptiality, general feelings that's all.

Hope you had fun.

Ray.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: RazorFXDB

-fish
Sorry to get off topic, but ...

Fish, are you talking about the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada??? ... I'm actually from Cape Breton, (and takegreatpride in that fact)and with the mostly US population on the forum, I don't get to hear of too many experiences with rides in my home province.

Anyway, just wondering how you enjoyed your time in Cape Breton? Scenery, hosptiality, general feelings that's all.

Hope you had fun.

Ray.
Hey Ray
We rode up to Nova Scotia last August, Rode Cape Brenton. Scenery, hosptiality, general feelings? I gotta say it was great experience the whole trip.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1366314/tm.htm

Old 07-21-2007, 10:58 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Ray -

Trip was great. The only thing better than the scenery was the really great people I met. -fish

Old 07-21-2007, 11:16 AM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member

However, I'm still looking for those mythical Cape Breton fiddlers. I toted my banjer all the way from Florida, every bar and I went to I was told I was too early or they just left. [:'(]-fish