General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gatlinburg/Tail of the Dragon ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 08:28 AM
Robb Liupo
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Gatlinburg/Tail of the Dragon ideas

Taking a trip to this area this summer, we have never been there before. Any ideas/suggestions on good rides, restaurants, places to see, things to do, etc. We are from Minnesota and have always traveled west in the summer, this will be our first ride out east. Will trade for Sturgis info, have been there dozens of times.

Tks

Old 03-21-2020, 08:47 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

The parkway from Cherokee over to Ashville. That is the most picturesque portion. 28 is a good ride as are most of the roads down in the Franklin area over to Brevard and Maggie Valley. Lots of waterfalls to see, The whole area is beautiful. Gatlinburg is a tourist trap with the traffic and such. They have a nightlife there if that is what you're into though.

The following users liked this post:
Dirty Harry (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 08:47 AM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 333 Likes on 181 Posts

Don’t miss Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley. As far as roads, Cherahola Skyway and really, most other roads are fun.
Be careful on the Dragon, heavy squid use and heavily patrolled by the man.

The following 5 users liked this post by Hasher:
Dirty Harry (03-21-2020), Kseeley (06-20-2020), s-glide76 (06-20-2020), srhen (03-21-2020), touchdown (03-23-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 09:03 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,627 Posts

If you have the time and are willing to do the mileage, I'd suggest spending one night in Somerset, PA (they a H-D dealership) and the next day visiting the Flight 93 Memorial on your way over to Front Royal, VA and the start of the Skyline Drive.
The SLD is a 105 mile (toll) road with a 35 MPH speed limit that runs south to Waynesboro, VA (near I-64) and then connects to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
THIs is a vey scenic route and it's a great ride in good weather but I would highly suggest avoiding it in bad weather as i can be wet, foggy and windy at times.
The last time we attempted this trip, it took us over 5 hours just to do the SLD and we "aborted the mission" at Waynesboro and took I-64 over to I-81 south.
Even then, we were the ONLY bikes on the road!

I'd suggest at least one night in Maggie Valley and a trip to the local Wheels-thru-Time bike museum.

I've done the "Tail" in both cars and on bikes but I personally prefer the more laidback cruising on the SLD, BRP and the Cherohala Hwy.

Wherever you decide to go, ride defensively. So folks think they're road racers!

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 03-21-2020 at 09:06 AM.
back again (03-22-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 09:17 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

Most of the roads in that area are fun to ride, Rt 28 just below the Tail of the Dragon is a beautiful ride. The Historic Topoco lodge resort is a nice place to stop and get a bite to eat and drink. Rt 441 from Gatlinburg to Cherokee nice ride. Cherohala skyway great ride. Not far from Tellico Plains on the Cherohala there is a road that goes to Bald River Falls, not a fast ride but beautiful scenery along the river and the falls are pretty cool (no hike to see the Falls)

Of course, the Blue Ridge Parkway, My favorite part of this is from Cherokee to Asheville.
Wayah Rd Nice ride, I usually make a loop that includes Rt 74 and catch Wayah Rd. Good breakfast in Wesser along this route at the Outdoor Center/Rivers End restaurant.

Chimney Rock, Lake Lure area nice to see. I could go on and on but there are too many great roads in the area.

Oh, one other thing. In Maggie Valley is the Wheels Through Time Museum, a must see.

The following 2 users liked this post by josame:
Dirty Harry (03-21-2020), Tinman1929 (03-22-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 09:17 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,661 Likes on 5,193 Posts

South end of the dragon keep going Highland NC Bridle vale falls if you can Don't overthink it Hard to go wrong and you will never do it all in 1 trip. You will be right there ride the Missing link bridge now that it is done. Lot of what to do and see depends . Are you passing through. Are you staying some where and riding the area. Ridden the dragon a 100 times or more will do it aging in June . No shame in it . It is away to get to many other rides. If traveling with spouse you may want to consider things she would like to see. NC has a lot of water falls you can ride right up to with out walking for miles. Riding the Nation Park is always worth the trip. June trip taking an 11 year old in a wheel chair and the sidecar she will see the sights. And will ride the dragon at least once in both directions.
Enjoy your ride. If you go to Wheels through time make sure they will be open before you head their . They do close sometimes.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:24 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 592 Likes on 311 Posts

Stop in at any motorcycle shop in the Smoky Mountains and pick up a ride map.

This one is representative...

https://tailofthedragon.com/smoky-mountain-loop/

bigal51 (06-23-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 09:27 AM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

If you do the tail do it on a weekday and early. Go at your own pace. Many areas to get in trouble and lose it.

Last time I did it there we’re idiots passing on curves doing about 100 mph. They all had there riding suits on dragging the ground. Saw a few wrapped around trees.

if your older might like to stop by Mt Airy, NC this is where Andy Griffin show was modeled after just off 64 I believe. Cute little town only need a few hours to see everything.https://www.visitnc.com/story/DvHg/b...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Many great roads in Gatlinburg area. Cade’s Cove is another great place.

sire86 (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 09:29 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,840 Likes on 18,585 Posts

America Rides Maps offer excellent ideas ... Their maps show individual rides of places to see ... Also combination rides with estimated times to complete and miles covered ... I have several and they are well worn ... The "Pocket Maps" are easy to handle and are well worth the price.

https://americaridesmaps.com/product...torcycle-rides

Cherokee is a dry area ... A quick ride to Bryson after a days riding will get you "liquid refreshments" should you desire

Rental places are available but be sure to inquire about paved driveways as some are quite steep ... Last time down we rented a 4 bedroom 4 bath place for $800.00 for the week

Be aware that some of the most interesting rides you may encounter are those that happen when you're not quite sure where you're at ... like Wayah Road out of Franklin, TN

620cal (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 11:14 AM
sire86
Tourer
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

All good suggestions posted. If you get down to Maggie Valley as others posted , definitely go to Wheels through time, we rode from Asheville to Hot Springs NC very cool town. Then from HS rode the Rattler 209 into Maggie valley to Wheels through time then blue ridge parkway back to Asheville. What ever you do , not a bad road in the area. Enjoy your trip.

Kseeley (06-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Gatlinburg/Tail of the Dragon ideas