General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 05:56 PM
tymes
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Handlebar Help

I bought the bike with these bars and don't know what exactly they are. It's a 2014 Road King. Basically I don't like the look of the risers, and would like to swap them out for taller bars, but a shorter riser to achieve the same overall height so that I can use the same cables and wires.

With the pictures I've provided, can someone tell me how much taller this riser is than stock? And does it look like the bars are 10" or 12"? I know every brand measures slightly differently, but I can't really tell if I'd be able to swap them out for a stock height riser with 12" bars or if I could fit 14".

I tried to add a picture showing about how much slack the cables have currently, again because I'd like to avoid changing those out.

Also, where do handlebar threads typically get posted? I didn't see any sub-forums relating to bars.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:25 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Looks to me like you could only go 1" lower on the risers before they hit the top cover plate.
They look like 2.5 or maybe 3"
It is worth all the effort to gain only an inch?
If you want to go to the stock risers, I think they are 1", but you would have to ditch the cover plate and go back
to the original style cover that was on the bike when stock.

The following users liked this post:
Superdog3:16 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 08:15 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

I got a 14 RK. Put the riser or whatever and stock cover plate on and a set of HST (or is it KST?) Renegades 10" on it. Brake and clutch reach fine, and the bars look waaay taller than 10". Here's mine:

Old 06-15-2020, 08:51 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,473 Likes on 1,742 Posts

[QUOTE=tymes;19195145]I bought the bike with these bars and don't know what exactly they are. It's a 2014 Road King. Basically I don't like the look of the risers, and would like to swap them out for taller bars, but a shorter riser to achieve the same overall height so that I can use the same cables and wires.

Thanks for any help.

this might sound wrong but if you are changing things but, in the end you are right back where you started then why bother?? over all height dosent change. maybe i am not reading it right. welcome to the forum

Old 06-15-2020, 09:03 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,493 Likes on 2,483 Posts

First RK I've ever seen with risers, & I think they look great!
I would change the bars for narrow beach bars & that would look awesome!

Old 06-16-2020, 08:20 AM
Gorion
Tourer

Received 336 Likes on 192 Posts

OP your bars look like the HD fat mini ape kit.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:11 AM
tymes
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gorion
OP your bars look like the HD fat mini ape kit.
These are 1.5" bars though, and I think the fat mini apes From HD only come in 1.25"?

Yes I know it's silly to go through all the work just to eliminate the look of the risers, but I just really like the look of the stock clamp height with ~14" bars on a road king.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:14 AM
Harleylife1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 626 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by tymes
I bought the bike with these bars and don't know what exactly they are. It's a 2014 Road King. Basically I don't like the look of the risers, and would like to swap them out for taller bars, but a shorter riser to achieve the same overall height so that I can use the same cables and wires.

With the pictures I've provided, can someone tell me how much taller this riser is than stock? And does it look like the bars are 10" or 12"? I know every brand measures slightly differently, but I can't really tell if I'd be able to swap them out for a stock height riser with 12" bars or if I could fit 14".

I tried to add a picture showing about how much slack the cables have currently, again because I'd like to avoid changing those out.

Also, where do handlebar threads typically get posted? I didn't see any sub-forums relating to bars.

Thanks for any help.

I always recommend you talk to the folks at wild 1 chubbys for any handlebar stuff. Good luck and safe travels!

Old 06-17-2020, 07:00 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

These are 1.5" bars though, and I think the fat mini apes From HD only come in 1.25"?

Yes I know it's silly to go through all the work just to eliminate the look of the risers, but I just really like the look of the stock clamp height with ~14" bars on a road king.
Personally, I would feel the same way. Do it if that's what makes it right for ya.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:42 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,266 Likes on 5,653 Posts

this might sound wrong but if you are changing things but, in the end you are right back where you started then why bother?? over all height dosent change. maybe i am not reading it right. welcome to the forum
OP said he doesn't want to gain height, he just wants to eliminate the risers because he doesn't like how they look.

Last edited by Bubba Zanetti; 06-18-2020 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Handlebar Help