General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEALERS BLOWS HOT AIR

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:33 PM
RandyNC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEALERS BLOWS HOT AIR

I'm no different from anyone else that has purchased a Harley at the dealership. They always want top dollar and I do understand that they are there to make money...I am all for that. BUT.

When you purchase your dream bike and you spend a few dollars here and there when you can for some extras and a little chrome,make a few payments or pay cash for your ride which ever.

So after about 15 months, you start looking around and get the itch for another flavor of Harley, then you start trying to figure out which is the best way to do what you need to do to make that happen...sell...trade...ect.

I had the insurance on my bike that would make my payments for me if I were to be sick and out of work...I cancelled that at the dealership today and saved myself about $1800.00 on the payoff....all good. My plan is going well so far.

While I was at the dealership I thought I would get them to look at my bike and just for kicks ask them what they would offer me for my bike.

I only have little over 3000 miles on my bike and a few goodies, different pipes and wild chubby1 handlebars, chrome switch housing and cluch levers, different seat, smooth chrome spoke wheels, grips, lay back license plate holder, chome brake and voltage cover, rear brake module,detachable back rest, docking hardware, streetglide tank emblems, windsheild kit,
new style brackets with running lamps and turn signals...etc.

I also understand that I cannot get back everything that I spend on this bike...purchase price for 06 Road King Custom $19,300.00plus...15 months making payments... around $3000.00 for goodies...extra insurance...

But when this same dealer that wanted top dollar for the bike and didn't budge off the price because this bike is a one of a kind...bla bla bla...you know the drill. WELL what really floored me was they looked at my bike with all of the extras on it and not one scratch on this bike. They offered me a insulting$12,500.00 for this bike...

Like I said I don't expect to get anything close to what I spent on this bike and I realize I have enjoyed the bike and it's used now, but that was just WRONG.

The salesman was afraid to tell me the offer...I told him I expected it to be a little upside down but...even he said it was a rediculous offer.I do know that it's better to sell your bike straight out and if you can sell it yourself.

I just wanted to share this with everyone to save them some trouble and time...I was going there anyway so it wasn't a complete wasted trip. I will sell my bike because i'm ready for a change, most likely a street glide.

It would have been the same thing if I was trading my bike. I just wouldn't have noticed it as soon as I did. Kinda leaves you with a bad feeling towards the DEALERSHIP.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 PM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
Cruiser
Default RE: DEALERS BLOWS HOT AIR

Last year I tried to trade my '05 FLSTCI, 14000 miles on it. Had about $10K in upgrades on it. Wanted an'07 FXSTC. Was offered $14500 for it. Turned that down, tried to sell it viaCycle Trader, no takers. Same results from Craig'sList and local papers. Decided to keep it. Glad I did. Have now been thinking about the '08 FXSTC, but won't trade the Heritage. Might get a Voyager trike kit for my wife to use on it; bike stays the same, just bolt on the kit, take it off when you want. YourRoadking Custom might be a problem because of a limited market for that particular bike. I rented one for a day last year and found it too cramped for me. A dealer told me that the Roadking was a better deal than the Custom because of the cost difference; more money for less equipment. You might have to accept a lower price than you want if you want to change bikes.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:53 PM
RandyNC
Tourer

I have all of the same equipment as the plain Road King. I don't mind loosing some but not that much. I can sell the bike easy for $17,000.00 I haven't tryed to sell my bike just yet. Cancelled the insurance first...The dealer was just trying to blow me off, they already had 2 RKCustoms on the floor. It would have been to the dealer'sadvantage if I decided to let them have it for that price. My bike is not worth any less than the regular Road King...only difference is a couple of fender lights and hard bags.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:35 AM
vegashd
Banned

ORIGINAL: RandyNC

I'm no different from anyone else that has purchased a Harley at the dealership. They always want top dollar and I do understand that they are there to make money...I am all for that. BUT.

When you purchase your dream bike and you spend a few dollars here and there when you can for some extras and a little chrome,make a few payments or pay cash for your ride which ever.

So after about 15 months, you start looking around and get the itch for another flavor of Harley, then you start trying to figure out which is the best way to do what you need to do to make that happen...sell...trade...ect.

I had the insurance on my bike that would make my payments for me if I were to be sick and out of work...I cancelled that at the dealership today and saved myself about $1800.00 on the payoff....all good. My plan is going well so far.

While I was at the dealership I thought I would get them to look at my bike and just for kicks ask them what they would offer me for my bike.

I only have little over 3000 miles on my bike and a few goodies, different pipes and wild chubby1 handlebars, chrome switch housing and cluch levers, different seat, smooth chrome spoke wheels, grips, lay back license plate holder, chome brake and voltage cover, rear brake module,detachable back rest, docking hardware, streetglide tank emblems, windsheild kit,
new style brackets with running lamps and turn signals...etc.

I also understand that I cannot get back everything that I spend on this bike...purchase price for 06 Road King Custom $19,300.00plus...15 months making payments... around $3000.00 for goodies...extra insurance...

But when this same dealer that wanted top dollar for the bike and didn't budge off the price because this bike is a one of a kind...bla bla bla...you know the drill. WELL what really floored me was they looked at my bike with all of the extras on it and not one scratch on this bike. They offered me a insulting$12,500.00 for this bike...

Like I said I don't expect to get anything close to what I spent on this bike and I realize I have enjoyed the bike and it's used now, but that was just WRONG.

The salesman was afraid to tell me the offer...I told him I expected it to be a little upside down but...even he said it was a rediculous offer.I do know that it's better to sell your bike straight out and if you can sell it yourself.

I just wanted to share this with everyone to save them some trouble and time...I was going there anyway so it wasn't a complete wasted trip. I will sell my bike because i'm ready for a change, most likely a street glide.

It would have been the same thing if I was trading my bike. I just wouldn't have noticed it as soon as I did. Kinda leaves you with a bad feeling towards the DEALERSHIP.
sounds like any type of dealership I have ever been in. Car, Boat, Motorcycle, you name it. They are in business ot make money. The salesman of course is gonna take your side. He wants you to think hes on your side.......
If you want to sell it throw it online, Ebay, Cycle trader... local paper.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:54 AM
eor
Advanced

Nada shows low retail for your bike at $11,150 and average retail for $15,145.

KBB shows trade-in value at $11, 370.

$12,500 is a reasonabletrade- in allowance based on its book value.

I seriously doubt you cansell yours "easily" for $17K.

I just sold my VERY nicely equipped, lowmileage06 Road King Custom for $14,700. I started at $16K but got no interest. Lowering it $15,500 got a few inquiries but no serious bites. $15K seems to have been the magic number for several. I dropped it a little more to split shipping cost with the buyer and to firm up the deal. I bought it as a repo with 100 miles and paid cash so I didn't take as badof a hit on it. If I had paid new price and financed it I don't know thatcould have tolerated it. I think I could have easily gotten $16 - 16.5K a couple of years ago. Things have changed.

If you are upside down on payments and have allot in accessories you might want to hang on to it a while. Since the model was discontinued and 06 was the last year for the TC88 and 5 speed, its market valuemay come back up.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:30 AM
1peter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pays to hang on to the one you've got or wait until the one you want is for sale with a few miles on it???? Someone is going to win,why should it be a dealer? The less we let them screw us the better,maybe we should all agree to keep the bike we have now for at least 10 years and rebuild it before we buy a new one? Just like the old days,ahhhhhhhh!

Old 07-24-2007, 01:43 AM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: eor

Nada shows low retail for your bike at $11,150 and average retail for $15,145.

KBB shows trade-in value at $11, 370.

$12,500 is a reasonabletrade- in allowance based on its book value.

I seriously doubt you cansell yours "easily" for $17K.

I just sold my VERY nicely equipped, lowmileage06 Road King Custom for $14,700. I started at $16K but got no interest. Lowering it $15,500 got a few inquiries but no serious bites. $15K seems to have been the magic number for several. I dropped it a little more to split shipping cost with the buyer and to firm up the deal. I bought it as a repo with 100 miles and paid cash so I didn't take as badof a hit on it. If I had paid new price and financed it I don't know thatcould have tolerated it. I think I could have easily gotten $16 - 16.5K a couple of years ago. Things have changed.

If you are upside down on payments and have allot in accessories you might want to hang on to it a while. Since the model was discontinued and 06 was the last year for the TC88 and 5 speed, its market valuemay come back up.

Good luck.

I just sold my VERY nicely equiped '99 Road King w/45,000 miles for $14,000.00. Book was $8000.00. The dealer is gonna offer you NADA trade in value, which does NOT account for any add ons. Same as ANY motor/sports/vehicle dealer. Sell it yourself , you can add your add ons to the price and ask what you think its worth, Theres always someone somewhere looking for what you have. ebay, Craigs list, there even a bike seller ad on this forum. It just takes time!

Old 07-24-2007, 01:45 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Randy, I also have a rk custom. The sg and rk custom are not all that different. If I was wanting the look of a sg, I would just add a fairing ($12-1800) and stretched hard bags (I like the look. $800-1200). Then you are basically at the sg. Just a thought. I was told, also, that at trade in, it would be a low number. I never tried to work a deal, because I like having no payments, but I know I would loose my butt on a trade. Besides, if I every sell the rk custom, it would have to be for a ultra. But, that is JMO. Keep your bike, and add the stuff I have listed. At least, that is what I would do, before trying to get a SG.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thevalue of a motorcycle has nothing to do with Kelly or NADA. The value is what someone will pay for it. The market is FLOODED with used and new bikes. It's a trade in. You're going to lose money substantially the first few years. Keep your bike for over five years and it will maintain its value. I hear this all the time about someone who buys a Harley and expects to get back $1000 below what they bought it for. The biggest depreciation is the first year.

That's why when you buy a bike, car, whatever be prepared to hold on to it or put some substantial cash down at trade in time.

Another thing, it doesn't matter what you have in accessories, they ain't worth squat when trading in or selling.

People need to be realistic. They have to prepare it for sale, they have advertising, over head, staff, utilities, and every other expense that a business has.

Keep it and sell in five years. Otherwise, eat the depreciation and buy the Street Glide. But if you keep trading bikes every 15 months, you're going tolose a lot of money.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:34 PM
VBFTuc
Advanced

Sometimes all the extras you add on really work against you.You put them on to make the bike "Yours". Now the dealer has a very limited customer base. Namely people who have exactly the same likes as you. Also the "Book Value" is usually what a lending institution will finance. Since the majority of buyers use financing, the dealer has to take that into consideration also.