General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt drive and gravel roads

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Belt drive and gravel roads

yep, sounds like you've been bitten by the new bike bug. Let us know what color you get!

lol

My buddy did have his belt snap when a rock got caught in his '04 1200c. Although, he did abuse the heck out of his bike - trying get the front wheel up and such, which I'm sure didn't help with keeping the belt in good condition.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:05 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My $.02, 12 yrs riding couple of miles each way to the house, never picked up anything but my baggy pants leg. Small bungee solved that. Felt like I was hit in the leg with a rubber baseball bat. The only way I can think you'd pick up stones in the belt would be a passingcar or truck with mud treads that tosses gravel your way.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Superdawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride gravel roads some times (because its there and I want to go that way) no problems yet. only problem is those foot deep trenchs in them sometimes,(maybe that was a trail).Not everybody can pave the way to
camp!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in a rural area and my house is 2.5 miles from the nearest paved road. So daily I log 5 miles on a decomposed granite road with some thin patches of fine to medium grit sand and a wee bit of washboard here and there. On the bike I can pick my way along and miss the majority of the washboard and potholes, so not a big deal. I've never had a problem with the drive belt at all. I visually inspect it now and then and in fact it doesnt even look dirty on the inside/pulley surface. No damage whatsoever.

I was worried about this issue too at first when I got my Electra Glide, but honestly at this point I've quit worrying about it.So far it appears to be a total non-issue. Not that it CANNOT happen, but it appears to be an almost non-existant issue.

Dusty? Yes, it is always a bit dusty of course which is aggravating, but even that isn't as bad as I'd thought it would be. It goes right into the garage every time i get home and then a bedsheet is thown over it once inside.

I'd say GO BUY YOUR SPORTSTER and enjoy it!

PS: Even the white walls aren't that big a deal to keep clean. So considering my environment I dont see why guys whine about their white walls being "alot of work" unless 10 minutes once a week is "too much".

Old 07-26-2007, 05:06 PM
kong79
Advanced

Thanks for the responses folks. I'm so close to pulling the trigger but I just can't do it. I found the bike I want but it's an eight hour drive to get it so that's saving my wallet for now, but, I've got vacation to burn so who knows what will happen.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 PM
x2lee
Banned

I ride down gravel everyday and I cant be bothered to drive slow and not kick any dust. my belts are 4 years old and holding, no probs....
I def wouldnt let that be my deciding factor. Its a non issue IMO.
Tommorrow ill screw the belt up for saying that
ORIGINAL: kong79

Hey Whaap, your right, they are two totally different bikes and the KLR is just about perfect for the type of riding I do, but lust has reared it's ugly head. I started riding when I was 15 and I'm 47 now and with the exception of a ten year break, I've had one bike or another continuously. I've lusted after a Sportster since the first time I walked into a Harley shop when I was 21. I bought the KLR with dreams of some "adventure" trips and camping but due to work and a busy home life, it aint happen'n. In fact I rarely get out to ride except to work. So the Sportster would work for the kind of riding I'm doing now. I've just heard some horror stories about the belt drive so that's why I'm asking.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Steve635
Cruiser

Back in '97, I got a rock under my belt that made about a 3/8" hole in the middle of the belt. The advice I got from friends was to not worry about it, but keep an eye on it from time to time. 38,000 miles later I traded in the bike with the same 3/8" hole. Point being even if you're unfortunate enough (and my nickname with that riding group was Black Cloud) to catch a rock that goes through the belt, the odds are pretty good it will still be fine (just be sure the hole is not near the edge).

Old 03-03-2015, 08:01 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,550 Likes on 668 Posts

I've driven a lot of gravel with my bike, the drives and parking lots for both of my jobs are gravel, ranging all sizes of rock, and some county maintained gravel. Never had a problem with a rock in the belt drive. But IMO your KLR650 is a better bike for the task, and probably more comfortable.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:02 AM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 03-03-2015, 08:07 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Wow, epic thread revival award for the day?

Betting the OP made a decision one way or the other in the past 8 years!

Quick Reply: Belt drive and gravel roads