General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro-Action Fork Kit Installed - 2017 CVO Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 12:06 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 604 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Zedbra
Hitting those bottom tube bolts while they are still in the trees makes it a lot easier - keep the axle in and they won't turn. You can even do that at the very start and let them slowly drain.
how do you get to the bottom bolts without removing the axle?

The following 2 users liked this post by d_slat:
pgreer (04-22-2022), rauchman (04-17-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 06:56 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,058 Likes on 6,982 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
Great write up on a daunting (to me anyway) job.
Any chance you will do a video of the next fork set?
A few years ago I said I would never install handle bars. Now I have done four sets and three with heated grips. I do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions. Pretty much my nature. I have never been afraid to tackle anything. I’ve learned a few lessons the hard way, but the forks were actually very easy.

I am not much of a video guy. Cannot edit and would not know how to post it. Pro-Action has a really good YouTube channel. Check them out for details. They have uploaded several videos since Daytona bike week.

Originally Posted by d_slat
If you're looking at doing this, make sure to compare length of the damper rods. According to the guys at pro action, they changed damper rod length around 2017. When I did mine in January, my old damper rods were longer than the new ones they sent. Called them up an had the right ones in my hands within a few days.
Good point. Mine were spot on as for the overall dimensions.

Originally Posted by d_slat
how do you get to the bottom bolts without removing the axle?
You cannot get to them without removing the wheel and axle. His point was after removing the wheel and axle pull these lower bolts out before removing the forks from the bike. With the spring pressure still on the buffer tube you can break the bolt loose without the tube spinning.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
M Oclaf (05-11-2022), rauchman (04-18-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 07:07 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Easter Sunday 4-17-2022

We took an afternoon ride up to Freebornes on the BRP and had a late lunch. Then rode the Parkway North from highway 18 to highway 21 and back down the mountain. Did right at 125 miles and got all types of roads and road conditions.

I am very pleased with the front end and look forward to getting it completed on the Street Glide soon. It is really hard to explain. The front end feels firm when you get on the bike. But it just glides over the bumps with ease. Even the Carolina girl could tell a difference for the better. She’s now wanting me to talk to George about their remote reservoir shocks. I’m going to have to get her another job!

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 04-17-2022 at 08:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
attaboy15 (04-26-2022), pgreer (04-22-2022), rauchman (04-18-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 07:23 PM
The_Clownpuncher
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Great write up, I wish I had the skills to articulate it as well. I did a Pro Action fork kit and a set of PA rears on my 15 FLHTCU last year and then hit the road (Va to Ca and back) and I love them. The fork kit was everything I wanted. Handles well and, like you said, eliminated the brake dive.

I just did a kit on my wifes Softail Slim Same deal, great ride for a great price.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (04-17-2022)
Old 04-17-2022, 08:10 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by The_Clownpuncher
Great write up, I wish I had the skills to articulate it as well. I did a Pro Action fork kit and a set of PA rears on my 15 FLHTCU last year and then hit the road (Va to Ca and back) and I love them. The fork kit was everything I wanted. Handles well and, like you said, eliminated the brake dive.

I just did a kit on my wifes Softail Slim Same deal, great ride for a great price.

I think you articulated that very well sir!

Thank you

Old 04-17-2022, 09:38 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,785 Likes on 5,978 Posts

Good write up!

90% of Harley riders neglect their forks. That figure may be high, but I'm talking about myself here, guys that wrench on their own bikes. Seems like forks always are the last thing on the list to think about.

Man I love Motion Pro. Have several things ordered from them, as well as a couple of things from Jims. Gonna do a fork job on Pearl, my Vicla Heritage, and my daily rider, my 2016 Ultra Limited.

If you decide to install chrome forks on your bike it's crazy not to upgrade the front suspension. Harley leaves a lot to be desired. I recently installed Ohlins on the rear, and I never noticed the harshness in the front end until I fixed the rear. The Ohlins ride like a dream, but since I'm changing to chrome, gonna upgrade the front as well.

Thanks for posting. Makes me wish my stuff was already here....

The following 4 users liked this post by LoneBone:
BrandonSmith (04-27-2022), Cosmic Razorback (04-18-2022), GREENOHAWK69 (04-18-2022), rauchman (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 06:21 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LoneBone
Good write up!

90% of Harley riders neglect their forks. That figure may be high, but I'm talking about myself here, guys that wrench on their own bikes. Seems like forks always are the last thing on the list to think about.

Man I love Motion Pro. Have several things ordered from them, as well as a couple of things from Jims. Gonna do a fork job on Pearl, my Vicla Heritage, and my daily rider, my 2016 Ultra Limited.

If you decide to install chrome forks on your bike it's crazy not to upgrade the front suspension. Harley leaves a lot to be desired. I recently installed Ohlins on the rear, and I never noticed the harshness in the front end until I fixed the rear. The Ohlins ride like a dream, but since I'm changing to chrome, gonna upgrade the front as well.

Thanks LB

My wife and I are really liking the Vicla style bikes. It's something I never thought much about and all of a sudden they are growing on us. A really cool style bike.

I have to agree about the forks. As mentioned by another member it can be daunting if you don't wrench and do not understand how they work and go together. Knowledge is KING. Most won't tackle it and many of us skip it at the dealerships because of cost thinking they are okay. I need to check the recommended interval in my service manual but I expect to change fluid and seals at no more than 25k moving forward.

Yeah Motion Pro makes some good stuff. I am impressed with the quality and they just look good.

You are 100% correct. I think everyone that has ever changed the rear shocks immediately feels how inferior the front end is. I'm not going to say an expensive cartridge system will or won't give better results because I have no experience.. But for me I am extremely pleased with the Pro-Action Fork kit and the money I saved.

Ride safe.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 04-18-2022 at 06:36 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
LoneBone (04-18-2022), M Oclaf (05-11-2022), rauchman (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 08:51 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,572 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Man I love Motion Pro. Have several things ordered from them, as well as a couple of things from Jims.
This is a nice tool to have for the pre-Rushmore suspension jobs.

Fork Spring Compressor Kit for HD, 39mm & 41mm

Instructions

The following 2 users liked this post by LQQK_OUT:
LoneBone (04-18-2022), rauchman (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 09:54 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,275 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Good write up!

Agree on the forks. Just traded my Switchback for a RG 107 over the weekend. My Switchback had Racetech springs and their Gold Valve/Emulators. Really noticeable difference from stock, and really noticeable how much in need the RG is for some kind of fork upgrade.

@Cosmic Razorback , thanks for this thread. Not sure if I'm going to go this route, but it seems like a nice bump up from stock.

The following 3 users liked this post by rauchman:
Cosmic Razorback (04-18-2022), LoneBone (04-18-2022), M Oclaf (05-11-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 12:26 PM
flh canuck
Cruiser
Received 237 Likes on 119 Posts

Changed out the internals on a 2013 Road King a few years back to progressive. At that time, the motorcycle was only about a year old and I could not believe the dirty black oil that came out of the fork on one side. Definitely a good idea to service your suspension every few years if nothing else to clean the internals and replace the fork oil.

I really like the yellow passing lamps on your motorcycle. Looks very retro, I might have to find a set for my Ultra!

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (04-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Pro-Action Fork Kit Installed - 2017 CVO Limited