General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRACK!! I actually laid my bike down today.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:40 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: FRACK!! I actually laid my bike down today.

ORIGINAL: Urban Coyote

I was practicing riding my brand new 883C. I was stopped and was ready to make a left turn and I released the clutch too fast and the bike jumped a bit and it seemed like all the weight of the bike went on it's left side and I just couldn't hold the bike up and had to slowly lay it down on it's left side. I DIDN'T DROP IT.
The lense of the rear left light popped off, but I was able to snap it back on. The chrome of the light housing is a little scratched up as is the tip of the clutch handle.
Brand new friggin bike and I already have damaged parts on it and I wasn't even moving.

Someone please tell me this is all part of learning to ride and owning a motorcycle so I don't feel like the total dumbshit I do right now.

I guess I shouldn't run out and get anything fixed on it. I may damaged it up some more. [&o]
[sm=icon_rofl.gif] Sorry man....I couldn't help but laugh at your plight. After you've been riding for several years you'll see the humor in that. We've all been there and done dumbshit things before to hurt our bikes or ourselves. Believe me I have my stories....been there and done that. Try to laugh it off. If you think about the whole thing...the way you described it, it really is pretty funny. Would have been hysterical if it was video taped. Then you could watch it over and over and over and then your buddies would really tease the hell out of you.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Still running
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What ever you do , do not get it fixed. The next little scratch won't bother you so much

Old 08-14-2007, 06:02 PM
mark1957222
Tourer

Old 08-14-2007, 06:09 PM
ElSexton
Intermediate

Urban C,
Laugh it off, that is just part of learning. I had to missing front teeth to prove it. [sm=lol.gif]
ElSexton

Old 08-14-2007, 06:16 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope it never happens to me.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:20 PM
ironhorselady
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When he was young, a friend's dad picked his mom up for their very 1st date on his bike. They got out to the stop light and he dumped it right there with her on it! Imagine his horror!! Theysurvived it and movedon to have 5 kids and a couple of grandkids. Happy ending.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:22 PM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've dropped a bike before..happens to us all at some point. From your descriptionof how quick it went down I'm guessing you already had the wheel turned left in the direction you were heading at the stop when the clutch slipped?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:27 PM
mattyfatty
Cruiser

happened to me love my bike even more now. has some character

Old 08-14-2007, 06:28 PM
springerGT
Road Master

We've all done that.
If you havent you will.

GT

Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
tankerwyf
Banned Camp

Yep, part of learning. I'm STILL learning.

Shortly after I got my bike, I laid it down in the driveway. Well, the hubby was beside me, so it didn't go all the way over, but I did! I thought I had the jiffy stand down, went to get off to open the garage door, and it started going over farther than it should have. Hubby was on his beside me, and miraculously was able to keep mine from going all the way over without going over himself. I hit the ground and burned my leg on the pipes on the way over. That's the last time, so far, I dropped mine.

Was riding my mom's Sporty and was in a parking lot. Doing a U-turn, stalled it out, and over it went. This time I got out from under it and let it go. My mom was there and saw it happen...I was apologizing to her as she was making sure I was ok. She's dropped it a few times herself so wasn't at all upset.

So like I said, I'm still learning and try to continuously learn from the mistakes I make!

Quick Reply: FRACK!! I actually laid my bike down today.