General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's waaay too rich...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:58 PM
manji99
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's waaay too rich...

...and the guys at the shop I bought it from told me that I 'just need to ride it harder, just blow it out and don't ride so slow.'

I ride this '79 shovelhead to work running about 55-75 mph. So I guess that's slow.

I think it's more that the bike is jetted too dang rich. The inside of the drag pipes is coated with carbon, the plugs are carbon fouled within 4-5 days of installing new ones. Granted, the mornings lately haven't been very cold, but to require no choke (enrichener, actually-it's an S&S Super E carb) to start cold is a bit suspect in my experience.

So, I'm off to another bike shop tomorrow, so see a mechanic who is a fellow Shovelhead enthusiast. We'll see if we can get this fixed.

Kent
'79 Shovelhead FXE/FLH hybrid

Old 08-16-2007, 08:09 PM
DavyDiesel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: It's waaay too rich...

I think you should give it to me. I have an 05 EFI runnin a little lean. If we mate them maybe we could get 7905 twins and both have a normal running bike.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the beginning to some bad nursery rhyme...

Jack's rat could eat no fat
His bud's bike ate too lean...

Old 08-16-2007, 08:31 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior

Put new plugs in it,,,,and lean it out,,,, a turn or 2 in,,,,,short ride,,,,,check plugs.......

Old 08-16-2007, 08:36 PM
DavyDiesel
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: zombie

Took em' both to a tuner
With a dyno machine
Now they both run really mean...

aw crap, my dogs eyes are tearing up...

Old 08-16-2007, 08:36 PM
notorious
Road Captain

In my experience the S&S carbs are very difficult to tune properly, however when done theyperform well. The dealer for the most part is clueless when it comes to other than stock equipment. Maybe an Indy may be able to help you. There is loads of information within this site whichmay lead you to the correct tune. Your bike is running rich and you shouldn't have fouled plugs, but there may be other indicators represented by your inherent situation which may lead you to correct the problem.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavyDiesel

ORIGINAL: zombie

Took em' both to a tuner
With a dyno machine
Now they both run really mean...

aw crap, my dogs eyes are tearing up...
Told ya it was bad

Old 08-19-2007, 08:17 PM
manji99
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: notorious

In my experience the S&S carbs are very difficult to tune properly, however when done theyperform well. The dealer for the most part is clueless when it comes to other than stock equipment. Maybe an Indy may be able to help you. There is loads of information within this site whichmay lead you to the correct tune. Your bike is running rich and you shouldn't have fouled plugs, but there may be other indicators represented by your inherent situation which may lead you to correct the problem.
Jezebel has points & coil ignition, which may be a contributing factor. I changed out the spark plug wires Friday and changed from a 72 main jet to a 70. The intermediate jet was a 29.5, and on the advice of the mechanic at the bike shop (the Shovelhead lover), I left it the same.

Results- Jezebel runs better at wide open throttle, the same stumbling/popping/chugging on part throttle. Idle is sometimes better, sometimes worse. I just pulled the plugs to check them after riding the bike home from the bike shop, then to work and back today. The plug from the front cylinder is carbon fouled, but not nearly as bad as before the main jet change. The rear plug is also not as badly carbon fouled, but in addition, the center electrode and its insulator are lighter gray...indicating that maybe I'm getting closer to the right jetting.

The mechanic at the new shop recommended changing to electronic ignition. It's tempting, really tempting, but it is also about $200 for a Dyna double fire ignition. I'm also thinking about going to a 28 intermediate jet, see how that works, maybe go to the next size down on the main. Maybe not. The pipes are turning a straw color; before they were only blueing up near the head.

Kent
'79 FXE/FLH hybrid "Jezebel"

Old 08-20-2007, 02:48 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

It is well worth your time to go to the S&S website and download the .pdf file for the S&S Super E. Then you can order jsets from anyone of a dozen catalogs and jet it yourself.
Dialing in an S&S is a hell of lot easier than Dialing in a Mikuni, at least to me and I've owned multiple units of each carb over the years.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:39 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are on the right track, I've found the S&S to be the easiest tune of any carb I've had in more that 45 yrs riding and working on bikes. Once you get it right you won't have to screw with it unless something changes on the bike. Because of all the variables, carb tuning is a bit of an art but not rocket science. Good luck.

Switched from points to Dyna S on my Evo, definitely worth it. Keep the old points setup in your toolbag in case something does happen its a no brainer swap.

Quick Reply: It's waaay too rich...