General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage softail and wind

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 11:16 AM
Grouser62
Road Captain
Received 537 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Heritage softail and wind

I’m contemplating the day I may need to downsize bikes. Interesting to me is the majority of threads on wind noise and buffeting are talking about Road Glides and Ultras. How is the wind on a stock Heritage and if not great, what are some things riders do to mitigate?

Old 01-12-2023, 11:35 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

You should ride one with a stock windshield and see if it's right for you. Windshield height matters as does the type and quality of the helmet that is worn, if a helmet is worn at all.
I like the top of my Road King's windshield to be 2" below eye level. The type and brand of seat that is used can make a difference here.
I used to wear a half helmet; now I wear a Shoei FF. That makes a difference too.
Memphis Shades sells quality windshields of various heights.

The following 2 users liked this post by RK4ME:
Dayypete (01-13-2023), Grouser62 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:04 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,376 Likes on 2,625 Posts

Well, it's a motorcycle after all. There's wind. Intuitively larger touring bikes with fairings and lowers, can lessen the impact of wind.

Then there's the hidious fangs which appear to work apparently, but look silly. And you know it's better to look good than to feel good.

The following users liked this post:
Grouser62 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:07 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,652 Likes on 868 Posts

Very subjective topic as many things play into wind noise and buffeting and one's sensitivity to both of those. After chasing "clean air" on many bikes, I've learned you either need a barn door type windscreen or no wind screen at all. Everything else is a compromise at best.
For noise nothing beats a good full face helmet that fits correctly and ear plugs of some sort. Having gone through many many helmets I've found the Shoei GT Air II works best for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
Grouser62 (01-12-2023), Walter White (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:18 PM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,941 Likes on 16,448 Posts

Depends on the kind of riding you will be doing. Lots of highway riding at high speeds having no windshield will wear you down faster especially if you don't have a very good full face helmet with ear plugs and a good tight fitting jacket & pants that don't flap in the wind.

More local riding and short trips I prefer a naked bike. Having a windshield takes a bit of the motorcycling fun away for me.

I currently have a street glide and have had a road glide in my past. I had severe wind buffeting issues with both and these are the only 2 I have had that issue. I must be the right height and my head not aerodynamic enough. Both were sorted out with different windshields and fangs that direct the air to a different spot.

I do appreciate the RG & SG when it is cold and/or raining plus the storage is nice. I never use the radio.

I have also had a Vrod and Softail slim. I liked both more for shorter rides.

The best would be to have both a highway and local cruiser if you have the time to ride both.

Last edited by Walter White; 01-12-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Grouser62 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:46 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I bought a new 22 for my wife, and she never complains about the wind or buffeting. FF, half, or none at all doesn't matter to her. When I ride it, the wind hits pretty hard in the chest, so I put fangs on it. I hated them and she hated them, but it was because of the heat. They cut the airflow so much that between the ambient heat in the desert southwest combined with engine heat it was unbearable. Fangs weren't the answer for me.

The following 3 users liked this post by 702:
Grouser62 (01-12-2023), T^2 (01-12-2023), Vec (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 02:16 PM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 473 Likes on 299 Posts

Same. My wife has a 2021 Heritage and I have a 2019 Heritage. Wind is wind but neither one of us has ever been bothered by it enough to get down about it, look for a higher windshield or contemplate purchasing those fork "fangs" Geeze that would be 2 or 3 cases of beer!

We both wear half helmets.

Seriously in all fairness, it all depends on you in relationship to the bike, your legs, the bike itself, how you sit, how high is your windshield, etc. etc. Guys on here complain about buffeting every day. If that includes ear popping, then yes, I have that sometimes. If I will be on the highway for any more than 20 or 30 miles, then yes, I will use a bandanna as a dew rag and cover my ears. Helps saves my hearing as well. But I have never felt "blown back" due to the wind. Even on a Honda VLX going 75 with no windshield.

Last edited by bduds65; 01-12-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Grouser62 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 02:51 PM
Grouser62
Road Captain
Received 537 Likes on 251 Posts

Thanks guys. Great picture by the way 702. I’ve got loads of experience on the full deckers and wind has never been an issue for me. Just concerned a windshield bike might change all that. Rode a windshield Kawasaki Vulcan for a while last year and on the highway I got beat up somewhat.

Old 01-12-2023, 02:55 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,164 Likes on 726 Posts

Many factors can determine one's luck with buffeting. There appears to be two primary sources... turbulent air over the top of the windshield and turbulent air coming up around the sides of the tank. How you sit the bike, how a seat sits you on the bike, your physical dimensions, etc. etc. will be determinative. Some things that I've concluded with time and experimentation...
  • Shield vents help (see ClearView Shields for an example). Concept is that the vent helps eliminate some of the pressure differential created behind the shield (which leads to the production of turbelent air).
  • Fangs work... However... They work too well. As has been noted, they can rob the rider of desperately needed cooling air. Plus they increase the felt heat in the crotch area/seat and and the right leg/calve. There's also the question if they impact engine cooling. To me, the tradeoffs are just too much. I no longer use the fangs. Fortunatly, my recurve ClearView shield with vent mitigates things to an acceptable state of afairs and neither I nor the bike have to deal with the heat.
As an experiment... If you are having buffeting problems... put your hands out - palms down - just past your knees and see what happens.

Decent info on dialing in the appropriate sized windshield...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...shield-height/

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...shield-height/

Info on the vent...

https://www.clearviewshields.com/abo...hield-venting/

As noted... to save $$$/irratation, resolve seat issues first.

Oh... If one decides to get a ClearView shield... It should be noted that - at least at the time that I ordered mine - their larger (taller) shield sizes don't come in the tombstone shape of the stock shield. The larger (taller) shields come in their older design pattern (reminds me of the shape of a womans fingernail). If you want the tombstone shape of the stock shield you need to request it (special order). If considering an order, I would give them a call an inquire about this before placing it.

Last edited by T^2; 01-12-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Grouser62 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 04:51 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,636 Likes on 838 Posts

I have lotsa miles on my 08 with no complaints at all. I will add the "hideous" fangs when I feel the need but even without them she's a great ride.

bduds65 (01-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Heritage softail and wind