General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discounted HD OEM Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 07:38 PM
TimP 117
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Discounted HD OEM Parts

Is there a online dealer that discounts OEM parts in the Chicago Illinois area. I sure miss being able to order from Surdyke!
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:40 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,572 Likes on 3,053 Posts

Nope, not any more

Old 03-04-2023, 09:09 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 473 Likes on 299 Posts

I always try to use eBay. Falls under the heading of "you just never know what you can find" Do various searches by part number, by similar-but-different descriptions, etc. Some listings leave out important descriptions that might be clues to finding what you need.

Note: I have ordered OEM parts online and I know some of those were shipped from local HD dealers, not necessarily from some central Harley warehouse. Meaning who knows what dealer locally might have stuff laying around. There are also a few legit places online where you can find OEM parts. However, having recently been looking for discontinued parts, I can say do multiple searches. Unfortunately some websites might not do their inventory updates as they should. No scams per se, but they sometimes they might show parts as available and they might not be. I would suggest doing an online chat (if an option) or contact them using their online form or send an email to be sure.

Same for fitment. I always get confused with engine guards. Many on eBay (some even legit online store dealers) will say "will not fit" when in fact if the part number is correct, and it WILL fit. Bottom line, you can never do too much research!

Good luck!

Last edited by bduds65; 03-04-2023 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:29 AM
rick601
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,953 Likes on 1,561 Posts

TECHNICALLY what HD is doing isn't price fixing (which is illegal) because, I'm guessing, they aren't calling their various dealers competitors. But AFAIC it IS price fixing. Here's the FTC definition

The following users liked this post:
scott_0 (03-04-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 08:13 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

The MoCo is pushing folks to seek out other than OEM parts - they should be careful what the wish for ... just stayin'

That being said, there are certain OEM parts which are just better - exhaust header pipe gaskets being a case in point. Many other parts - perhaps not so much.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jehu:
Navy Mustang (03-19-2023), tar_snake (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 08:44 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by rick601
TECHNICALLY what HD is doing isn't price fixing (which is illegal) because, I'm guessing, they aren't calling their various dealers competitors. But AFAIC it IS price fixing. Here's the FTC definition
Harley is not in competition with itself as a business entity, and therefore their business practice doesn't meet the definition of price fixing. If this were happening between H-D and Indian, it would meet the definition of price fixing. In other words, if all big American touring bikes were identically priced, that would be a problem. What the new H-D CEO is doing is creating (at least in his eyes) brand exclusivity and increased demand. They sold fewer bikes last quarter but raked in higher profits. Same with parts. When customers stop buying the OEM parts because they can no longer find them discounted as before, maybe we'll see them return to the older business model. Speaking for myself, I can definitely say that I purchased far fewer OEM H-D parts last year than in prior years, strictly because of the new policy. Time will tell...

The following 4 users liked this post by Navy Mustang:
94 ultra (03-19-2023), jd05flhtci (03-19-2023), motorbtr (03-19-2023), NorthWestern (03-20-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 04:43 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Navy Mustang
When customers stop buying the OEM parts because they can no longer find them discounted as before, maybe we'll see them return to the older business model. Speaking for myself, I can definitely say that I purchased far fewer OEM H-D parts last year than in prior years, strictly because of the new policy. Time will tell...
I agree. I didn't go into and dealerships last year so they missed out on selling me parts, accessories, and apparel. My wife used to work for an HD dealer and the markup is insane.

Old 03-19-2023, 04:58 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,473 Posts

Can you order on line from a dealer in your area and have sent to your house? Or can you still order from any dealer, just won't get % discount? Sometimes its not worth driving to a dealer, and I would rather pay shipping.

To they track it by your zip code and force you order from that dealer? I used to order a lot from various discount dealers.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:12 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 473 Likes on 299 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Rounders
Can you order on line from a dealer in your area and have sent to your house? Or can you still order from any dealer, just won't get % discount? Sometimes its not worth driving to a dealer, and I would rather pay shipping.

Do they track it by your zip code and force you order from that dealer? I used to order a lot from various discount dealers.
I believe it is a regional tracking thing when you place your order. Meaning it is not necessarily coming from a central warehouse like you might expect. But it may or may not come from a local dealership. I have not noticed the return address sticker on every order I've done, but I have noticed it on some. And many were local. Bottom line, you do not choose that on the order. Harley chooses it.

That said, I still do not believe the local dealership inventories jive 100% with the HD parts website. Meaning, there may be parts on the shelves at the dealership that are not shown as being available if you place on online order. And how far regional would it go?? Could I order a part here in PA and end up getting it from a dealership in Florida? Dunno.

Again, be patient, shop around and keep an eye on eBay. However be sure to select 'North America' or 'US Only' and be sure it is an OEM part - if you care. There are knock off parts that look exactly the same but are significantly cheaper. I usually do multiple searches. Some on description, some on the actual HD part number. Shopping and research for motorcycle parts can be time-consuming and somewhat painful.

Hope all that made sense.

Last edited by bduds65; 03-20-2023 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:25 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,473 Posts

So how are you ordering parts now? You go to harleys website and order, or are you ordering through dealer website? I used to order a lot, just luckily have not needed too lately.

Quick Reply: Discounted HD OEM Parts