Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Bikers parking on storefront sidwalks (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/143593-bikers-parking-on-storefront-sidwalks.html)

Buddha4 08-23-2007 09:01 PM

RE: Bikers parking on storefront sidwalks

I have actually had some hotels tell be to park the bike in between the posts that hold up the awning's (you know for the covered check in) on theelvated walkways. They would rather me have my bike there than run the risk of having in the parking lot.

narosar 08-23-2007 09:14 PM

I park up by the doors if it looks like I can get away with it

RonnieJ 08-23-2007 09:18 PM

If you park on the side walk , it's kinda hard to get pissed at folks and their rug rats pawing at your bike.

MJ 08-23-2007 09:20 PM

Walmart, I always park on the sidewalk now. Once I parked in the lot with the cars and came out kids were sittng on the bike. Mad as hemm. Usually around here there is an employee out with the carts I strike up conversation and ask him to keep an eye on the bike. So far no problems on sidewalk.

rizzo 08-23-2007 10:20 PM

In some communitiesthe area in front of the building is considered the "fire lane" and is reserved for emergency vehicles. Businesses are not allowed to place bulk or palleted merchandise in the area.

goodbirds 08-23-2007 10:51 PM

I am a volunteer in public safety here in St George, UT. We do most of the parking enforcement for the police department. Here is what we look at: first off, a store that owns the parking lot is responsible for any parking arrangements they want, with the exception of handicapped parking, and fire lanes. If the management has no problem with a motorcycle parked anywhere else on their property that is their decision. If the parking lot is owned by the city then the police would be enforcing parking ordinances.

BTW, the blue hash marks adjacent to handicap parking stalls are part of the handicap area, and is up for a ticket, should an officer decide to issue it. The hash marks are for vans that unload from the side with motorized ramps and such. If you park there, you are actually occupying a designated parking space for handicapped drivers. Hash marks of any other color designates no parking areas, but is up to the property owner to enforce. Most of the time, they would rather not run off a customer.

tlb 08-23-2007 11:00 PM

at Walmart i park in the spots at the end of the rows with all the white lines.
at the university i attend the campus cops ask you to park in the end spots to free up spaces for cars.

PowerJunkie 08-23-2007 11:05 PM

I almost always park on the sidewalk in front of my local grocery store and several other place like Best Buy. Police usually can't give you a ticket if you are parked on private property (ie store property) as long as you are not in a fire zone. It's so much safer then parking in a large parking lot because there are lots of eyes on your bike at all times. Park between two large cars in the back of a parking lot and anyone can do anything to your bike without anyone seeing it. Besides that, how many times have you pulled into what you thought was an open space only to find a bike parked there? I'd rather leave my ride in front of the store, whole lot safer any way you look at it.

fj4069 08-23-2007 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: RonnieJ

If you park on the side walk , it's kinda hard to get pissed at folks and their rug rats pawing at your bike.
i always park on the sidewalk wherever i go. too many cagers just don't pay enough attention as to where they are backing up into. i try not to park blocking the sidewalk or park obstructing a walkway. don't want to be rude, just don't want to go outside and have to pick up my bike by myself (i'm a weak azz). only time i had aproblem i was ata bar in benicia and some one came inside and said to me " is that your bike outside?" i said yes and he said " 5-O is outside writing you a ticket". i went outside and the cop was pretty rude. i said hey whats going on? and he got pretty irate with me. i'm writing you a parking ticket for parking on a sidewalk and blocking foot traffic, (i'm right up against the building and the sidewalks in downtown benicia are like 10 foot wide so whatever). i kinda interrupted him when i came out i guess and he ripped the ticket out of his book and handed it to me in front of the 10 other people who came out to watch and told me he was gonna tow it if it wasn't moved asap. so i just took it and went back inside. didn't want to leave it there to get towed but he didn't have to be such a dick so i was gonna let it ride for a little bit then just leave.
so i went inside and everybody was like what a dick, why the attitude towards you? blah blah blah. i looked at the ticket and he never put a vin nmber on the ticket, and i don't run plates, so i just laughed and tore it up and threw it up in the air and everybody cheered me. it was funny as hell. they all thought i was being a rebel. some cats bought me a couple motre beers and when i went to leave the tow truck was pulling up so i hopped on and bounced the hell out before super cop showed back up. wasn't trying to disrespect the cop but, all i ask is that you come at me like a man and don't treat me like i'm the dick for not wanting my bike damaged.

SoftailBrian 08-24-2007 01:45 AM

sideWALK! Where's the question?