General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikers parking on storefront sidwalks

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Urban Coyote
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bikers parking on storefront sidwalks

Probably because I'm new to owning a motorcycle, I have only recently noticed and paid attention to the fact that some stores allow people to park their motorcycles up on the sidewalk at the front of the store.

I noticed this at a Wal-Mart and a couple of grocery stores.

The first time I noticed this I figured maybe they are employees who were given the priviledge, but find that the bikers were customers.

I don't see a line of bikes lined up or anything like that like it was Bike Week at the store. Just one or two.

Is there a list of stores or types of storesthat are motorcycle friendly and allow on sidewalk parking for motorcyclists or is it more of finding out by yourself or word-of-mouth which business owners don't mind if bikers ride up on the sidewalk and park their bikes instead of treating them like any other vehicle and have them park in a parking space out in the lot?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Fishguy001
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bikers parking on storefront sidwalks

I'd say just park there as long as your not gonna be there very long...I'd think most businesses would just as soon you park on their sidewalks and do business with them, and leave a parking space for another customer

Old 08-23-2007, 07:29 PM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ask permission they tend to agree that it's safer for the bike, i.e. fewer thefts.

At Jonesborough's Music on the Square:
http://www.musiconthesquare.com/
I point to a spot and ask permission from the LEO's, they always say "Sure, go ahead and park it there."

Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

Most of the time the rider is in-and-out very quickly. For the most part, unless a dick of a cop comes by you'll be OK.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm sure it varies store to store, manger to manager. Never heard of any stores that actually promote or make it known that theyallow bikes to be parked on their sidewalks. Also, Johnny Law may take exception to you parking your bike on the sidewalk. We parked our bikes on a sidewalk at a fast food joint in Riverside, CA where we always parked in the past and some Super Trooper told us to move em or he'd have em towed. We said we always parked there and that the manager had no problem with it. Then he threatened to have us towed!!! You just never know!!!

Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have never been ticketed for this and have done it for many years. I usually look for bike racks and park by them. After all it is a bike...

Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 PM
tnelsmn
Advanced

I always thought that bikes parked on the sidewalk to be on the concrete. That way the kickstand dose not sink in the tar and the bike fall over.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:41 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,990 Likes on 8,454 Posts

Yeah, but when ya get your front tire stuck in the bicycle rack you'll change your parking habits. 8-)

Old 08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

manager of local Walmart said pls park on sidewalk. helps everything move quickly and in Myrtle Beach also.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Bleuknight
Cruiser

I've done it a couple times..didn't stay long....
One thing I hate is I tried to stay clear of cars and parked outside a spot, room for a car to use, but I felt safer, and I got a ticket..delayed the $15. ticket until I got a notice in the mail saying I will lose my license if not paid...........so I paid it.........$50. later..my bad...

Quick Reply: Bikers parking on storefront sidwalks