Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Bikers parking on storefront sidwalks (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/143593-bikers-parking-on-storefront-sidwalks.html)

Urban Coyote 08-23-2007 07:15 PM

Bikers parking on storefront sidwalks

Probably because I'm new to owning a motorcycle, I have only recently noticed and paid attention to the fact that some stores allow people to park their motorcycles up on the sidewalk at the front of the store.

I noticed this at a Wal-Mart and a couple of grocery stores.

The first time I noticed this I figured maybe they are employees who were given the priviledge, but find that the bikers were customers.

I don't see a line of bikes lined up or anything like that like it was Bike Week at the store. Just one or two.

Is there a list of stores or types of storesthat are motorcycle friendly and allow on sidewalk parking for motorcyclists or is it more of finding out by yourself or word-of-mouth which business owners don't mind if bikers ride up on the sidewalk and park their bikes instead of treating them like any other vehicle and have them park in a parking space out in the lot?

Fishguy001 08-23-2007 07:29 PM

RE: Bikers parking on storefront sidwalks

I'd say just park there as long as your not gonna be there very long...I'd think most businesses would just as soon you park on their sidewalks and do business with them, and leave a parking space for another customer

wisemx 08-23-2007 07:29 PM

If you ask permission they tend to agree that it's safer for the bike, i.e. fewer thefts.

At Jonesborough's Music on the Square:
http://www.musiconthesquare.com/
I point to a spot and ask permission from the LEO's, they always say "Sure, go ahead and park it there." ;)

Eyeball Kid 08-23-2007 07:30 PM

Most of the time the rider is in-and-out very quickly. For the most part, unless a dick of a cop comes by you'll be OK.

Pablo22 08-23-2007 07:30 PM

I'm sure it varies store to store, manger to manager. Never heard of any stores that actually promote or make it known that theyallow bikes to be parked on their sidewalks. Also, Johnny Law may take exception to you parking your bike on the sidewalk. We parked our bikes on a sidewalk at a fast food joint in Riverside, CA where we always parked in the past and some Super Trooper told us to move em or he'd have em towed. We said we always parked there and that the manager had no problem with it. Then he threatened to have us towed!!! You just never know!!!

anubisss 08-23-2007 07:34 PM

I have never been ticketed for this and have done it for many years. I usually look for bike racks and park by them. After all it is a bike...:D

tnelsmn 08-23-2007 07:39 PM

I always thought that bikes parked on the sidewalk to be on the concrete. That way the kickstand dose not sink in the tar and the bike fall over.

EasternSP 08-23-2007 07:41 PM

Yeah, but when ya get your front tire stuck in the bicycle rack you'll change your parking habits. 8-)

Tinkermc 08-23-2007 08:03 PM

manager of local Walmart said pls park on sidewalk. helps everything move quickly and in Myrtle Beach also.

Bleuknight 08-23-2007 08:06 PM

I've done it a couple times..didn't stay long....
One thing I hate is I tried to stay clear of cars and parked outside a spot, room for a car to use, but I felt safer, and I got a ticket..delayed the $15. ticket until I got a notice in the mail saying I will lose my license if not paid...........so I paid it.........$50. later..my bad...

whaap 08-23-2007 08:11 PM

I've never done it. I don't put my bike any place I wouldn't put my car, parking or riding.

HDWG 08-23-2007 08:14 PM

We parked on a sidewalk while at Wally world in Gettysburg, PA rally....they yelled at us over the intercom to move them:D
We normally park on the sidewalks here...no problem:D

JamieCarr 08-23-2007 08:15 PM

I always do it,.....especially at wal-mart,.....they aint ever said anything about it,...some places I park in them blue painted lines where the parking lanes end.

tail11 08-23-2007 08:17 PM

The meter maids in my town would give a ticket out for parking on the sidewalk or the cross hatch lines. A motor vehicle (4 or 2 wheels) has to park in a proper parking spot, otherwise you'll end up with a parking ticket. I'd rather not park on sidewalks because of kids walking by touching and/or possibly burning themselves on my pipe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/00CC876CE3E44928AB9E9FA241141B43.jpg[/IMG]

Fishrdr 08-23-2007 08:20 PM

I think I'll leave the sidewalk for pedestrians. Hate to have a shopping cart or some otherpurrchase bouncing off the bike.

Panhead_1_9_4_8 08-23-2007 08:22 PM

Many biker friendly bars do this. As for stores ... depends on mangement. Some let you ... some don't.

BlueBob 08-23-2007 08:37 PM

Just started this practice. Today at wally world I parked on the sidewalk near where they run the carts in. Nothing was said by anyone but when I came out a cart was parked up against my tailight, I was madder than a Jap.

JB 08-23-2007 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Panhead_1_9_4_8

Many biker friendly bars do this. As for stores ... depends on mangement. Some let you ... some don't.
And some bars will even let you park inside.

Phillyfatboy 08-23-2007 08:44 PM

RE: Bikers parking on storefront sidewalks

i work in Downtown Philly and there are building a new sky rise so the workers park on the sidewalk. it is usually like twenty bikes and the cops never ticket them or bother them. what i found funny about this is that the building has a big sign that read UNION LABOR and all but 2 bikes are Japs.

Matrix 08-23-2007 08:47 PM

Iusually park on the side walk or in the no parking space near the handicap parking, where there are a bunch of blue lines.

Buddha4 08-23-2007 09:01 PM

I have actually had some hotels tell be to park the bike in between the posts that hold up the awning's (you know for the covered check in) on theelvated walkways. They would rather me have my bike there than run the risk of having in the parking lot.

narosar 08-23-2007 09:14 PM

I park up by the doors if it looks like I can get away with it

RonnieJ 08-23-2007 09:18 PM

If you park on the side walk , it's kinda hard to get pissed at folks and their rug rats pawing at your bike.

MJ 08-23-2007 09:20 PM

Walmart, I always park on the sidewalk now. Once I parked in the lot with the cars and came out kids were sittng on the bike. Mad as hemm. Usually around here there is an employee out with the carts I strike up conversation and ask him to keep an eye on the bike. So far no problems on sidewalk.

rizzo 08-23-2007 10:20 PM

In some communitiesthe area in front of the building is considered the "fire lane" and is reserved for emergency vehicles. Businesses are not allowed to place bulk or palleted merchandise in the area.

goodbirds 08-23-2007 10:51 PM

I am a volunteer in public safety here in St George, UT. We do most of the parking enforcement for the police department. Here is what we look at: first off, a store that owns the parking lot is responsible for any parking arrangements they want, with the exception of handicapped parking, and fire lanes. If the management has no problem with a motorcycle parked anywhere else on their property that is their decision. If the parking lot is owned by the city then the police would be enforcing parking ordinances.

BTW, the blue hash marks adjacent to handicap parking stalls are part of the handicap area, and is up for a ticket, should an officer decide to issue it. The hash marks are for vans that unload from the side with motorized ramps and such. If you park there, you are actually occupying a designated parking space for handicapped drivers. Hash marks of any other color designates no parking areas, but is up to the property owner to enforce. Most of the time, they would rather not run off a customer.

tlb 08-23-2007 11:00 PM

at Walmart i park in the spots at the end of the rows with all the white lines.
at the university i attend the campus cops ask you to park in the end spots to free up spaces for cars.

PowerJunkie 08-23-2007 11:05 PM

I almost always park on the sidewalk in front of my local grocery store and several other place like Best Buy. Police usually can't give you a ticket if you are parked on private property (ie store property) as long as you are not in a fire zone. It's so much safer then parking in a large parking lot because there are lots of eyes on your bike at all times. Park between two large cars in the back of a parking lot and anyone can do anything to your bike without anyone seeing it. Besides that, how many times have you pulled into what you thought was an open space only to find a bike parked there? I'd rather leave my ride in front of the store, whole lot safer any way you look at it.

fj4069 08-23-2007 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: RonnieJ

If you park on the side walk , it's kinda hard to get pissed at folks and their rug rats pawing at your bike.
i always park on the sidewalk wherever i go. too many cagers just don't pay enough attention as to where they are backing up into. i try not to park blocking the sidewalk or park obstructing a walkway. don't want to be rude, just don't want to go outside and have to pick up my bike by myself (i'm a weak azz). only time i had aproblem i was ata bar in benicia and some one came inside and said to me " is that your bike outside?" i said yes and he said " 5-O is outside writing you a ticket". i went outside and the cop was pretty rude. i said hey whats going on? and he got pretty irate with me. i'm writing you a parking ticket for parking on a sidewalk and blocking foot traffic, (i'm right up against the building and the sidewalks in downtown benicia are like 10 foot wide so whatever). i kinda interrupted him when i came out i guess and he ripped the ticket out of his book and handed it to me in front of the 10 other people who came out to watch and told me he was gonna tow it if it wasn't moved asap. so i just took it and went back inside. didn't want to leave it there to get towed but he didn't have to be such a dick so i was gonna let it ride for a little bit then just leave.
so i went inside and everybody was like what a dick, why the attitude towards you? blah blah blah. i looked at the ticket and he never put a vin nmber on the ticket, and i don't run plates, so i just laughed and tore it up and threw it up in the air and everybody cheered me. it was funny as hell. they all thought i was being a rebel. some cats bought me a couple motre beers and when i went to leave the tow truck was pulling up so i hopped on and bounced the hell out before super cop showed back up. wasn't trying to disrespect the cop but, all i ask is that you come at me like a man and don't treat me like i'm the dick for not wanting my bike damaged.

SoftailBrian 08-24-2007 01:45 AM

sideWALK! Where's the question?

Kolni 08-24-2007 01:55 AM

I always park on sidewalks regardless of what the store thinks.

Lots safer then the parking lot.

Kolni 08-24-2007 01:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Pablo22
Then he threatened to have us towed!!! You just never know!!!
A cop can NOT have you towed from private property UNLESS the owner request it.

Kolni 08-24-2007 02:01 AM

ORIGINAL: RonnieJ

How so? Didn't anyone teach them not to touch what isn't theirs? ANd if they do touch it and get burned on my pipes...oh well.

SteelCityScooter 08-24-2007 02:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Matrix

Iusually park on the side walk or in the no parking space near the handicap parking, where there are a bunch of blue lines.
You are aware those blue lines were painted there for a reason??
My first wife had a brother that was a parapaleegic, and we needed handicapped spaces to get him in and out of the vehicle.
They provide those lines as a means to keep that area open for wheelchair lifts, or just plain room to manuver a wheelchair around a vehicle and load someone in it.
Please find somewhere else to park.

anacharis 08-24-2007 03:14 AM

I never park in a fire zone-sidewalk-people who think there bike deserves a special spot,cause it's so valuable/pretty risk getting a key laid across their tank.

Kolni 08-24-2007 03:22 AM

ORIGINAL: anacharis

I never park in a fire zone-sidewalk-people who think there bike deserves a special spot,cause it's so valuable/pretty risk getting a key laid across their tank.
To much of a pussy to go up to the guy so you do stuff behind his back huh?

Navychief 08-24-2007 05:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Matrix

Same here, usually a lightpost with the stripes around it. Parked there with a LEO sitting there and he waved as I went into the store..possibly a biker?

anacharis 08-24-2007 06:17 AM

I would be afraid someone would do it to me. But thanks for thinking I'm so courageous,doll boy.(borderline homo)

Kolni 08-24-2007 06:43 AM

I'm just saying that if you have a problem with someone you shoiuld handle it face to face.

Not just damage their property for no reason.

Garemlin 08-24-2007 06:55 AM

I have never parked on a sidewalk at any store. Too much pedestrian traffic and kids with greasy, sticky little fingers that like to touch everything in sight. I always try to park right at the front next to handicapped spaces where there are diagonal lines. As long as the area is wide enough to allow vehicles with ramps to operate correctly.