General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well 2023 Q3 Results are in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 06:37 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,078 Likes on 614 Posts

Polaris and Harley-Davidson could merge.

Remember, the iconic Jeep was ******, AMC, then Chrysler, then Daimler-Benz; now Fiat.

Market, supply and economic conditions notwithstanding, Sneaker-Boy and and the Bud Light corporate culture hasn't helped one bit. Those running the MoCo couldn't tell the difference between rake and trail; wouldn't know a Pan Head from a Pot Head and likely think that a Swing Arm is some sort of manual sex act done in a group setting.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jehu:
MXJunky (10-26-2023), panheadache (10-26-2023), tar_snake (10-30-2023), Walter White (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 03:46 AM
mcw999
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2014 Ultra Limited, lots of miles, would look at a new one, but the new ones just aren't enough different, and the colors aren't to my taste. Now, the new CVO's look interesting and if the new features like infotainment, shocks, fairing, etc. make it into the next Ultra, then I'm going to be seriously looking to buy. For me, it's about the Company offering something I want to buy. The current offerings just aren't attractive to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by mcw999:
M Oclaf (10-27-2023), Walter White (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 04:00 AM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,695 Likes on 2,617 Posts

As many today seem to be, as far as a Harley goes, I got mine. And I ride it. Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
IBE (11-03-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 06:06 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,523 Likes on 6,272 Posts

Their bikes are overpriced. That’s the elephant in the room. I wanted a new Electraglide. In the heyday you could get a Standard, Classic or Ultra. Now none are available, only the more expensive Limited. And adding insult to injury, they impose surcharges. So a new touring bike out the door is $37k. For a vehicle I can’t use 5-6 months of the year in the Northwoods.

I’m going to buy a regular cab, long bed 4x4 instead. I guess I’m a dinosaur. There are very few of them and they’re discounted this time of year.

The following 5 users liked this post by Ron750:
Henboykin (10-27-2023), Rabianegra (10-29-2023), s-glide76 (10-27-2023), tar_snake (10-30-2023), Walter White (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 06:41 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,692 Likes on 3,424 Posts

I’ll stick to selling diapers. Looks like there will be plenty of **** around. Butt wipes to wipe it up and Gloves for your hands.

Old 10-27-2023, 08:31 AM
GBHH
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 279 Posts

Runaway gov't spending.
Banks holding paper on empty office buildings everywhere.
Failing energy policy, suddenly magnified and entangled.
Time to "circle the wagons"

The following 2 users liked this post by GBHH:
tar_snake (10-30-2023), Walter White (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 08:45 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 118 Posts

This is my side of the situation.

I retired in March of ‘22. In December of ‘21 my wife and my combined 401k and other retirement investments had more value than ever. Things looking pretty darn good. It grew tremendously during the last administration. Not being political but that is fact.
In the last 20 months the value has dropped 15% and I do not see an end to that anytime soon. If the current administration and their terrible financial policies continue for another five years, it will get much worse.
Our savings and social security is our income stream for the rest of our lives. I’m not overly concerned, we are doing better than most, but I have to be mindful of that. Lots of us are in the same or similar situation.

I would like to replace my 2012 Roadglide but I just cannot justify that expense while the economy is in the gutters. You can paint the economy as the best it’s ever been, lowest unemployment, bidenomics, all of that is fantasy when people are losing money, inflation is crazy high, interest rates still climbing, credit card debt is at its highest ever, etc.etc.

My dealer has been trying to put me on a new bike for 6 months. His bike is too high, my trade value is too low for me to consider. I’m like a lot of us, my bike is good enough for me and I will wait on the market to come back to some kind of normal before I can indulge in a new scooter.

Dealer showrooms were understocked months ago, not any more. Inventory is up, sales are struggling. The $1000 surcharge is ridiculous.

Promotions are in place. We saw $1500 cash back on touring bikes in the summer. Now my dealer is advertising zero money down and 0.99% financing.

I thought the strategy to lean inventory was an effort to bring back the days when demand was so high dealers could mark up to whatever and someone would buy. That doesn’t seem to be working too well.

The following 2 users liked this post by bill from tn:
soldierbot (10-27-2023), tar_snake (10-30-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 11:02 AM
s-glide76
Road Master
Received 1,023 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by bill from tn
This is my side of the situation.

I retired in March of ‘22. In December of ‘21 my wife and my combined 401k and other retirement investments had more value than ever. Things looking pretty darn good. It grew tremendously during the last administration. Not being political but that is fact.
In the last 20 months the value has dropped 15% and I do not see an end to that anytime soon. If the current administration and their terrible financial policies continue for another five years, it will get much worse.
Our savings and social security is our income stream for the rest of our lives. I’m not overly concerned, we are doing better than most, but I have to be mindful of that. Lots of us are in the same or similar situation.

I would like to replace my 2012 Roadglide but I just cannot justify that expense while the economy is in the gutters. You can paint the economy as the best it’s ever been, lowest unemployment, bidenomics, all of that is fantasy when people are losing money, inflation is crazy high, interest rates still climbing, credit card debt is at its highest ever, etc.etc.

My dealer has been trying to put me on a new bike for 6 months. His bike is too high, my trade value is too low for me to consider. I’m like a lot of us, my bike is good enough for me and I will wait on the market to come back to some kind of normal before I can indulge in a new scooter.

Dealer showrooms were understocked months ago, not any more. Inventory is up, sales are struggling. The $1000 surcharge is ridiculous.

Promotions are in place. We saw $1500 cash back on touring bikes in the summer. Now my dealer is advertising zero money down and 0.99% financing.

I thought the strategy to lean inventory was an effort to bring back the days when demand was so high dealers could mark up to whatever and someone would buy. That doesn’t seem to be working too well.

I think there is a lot of us in the same boat. I'm retiring in year. With what my 401K has lost in the last couple of years I could have bought a new CVO with it.
Until they get inflation under control and the stock market stabilizes I ain't buying ****.

The following 2 users liked this post by s-glide76:
Fuzzman71 (10-27-2023), Walter White (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 11:54 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 45,985 Likes on 16,727 Posts

Riding this out with my low mileage garage queen 2013 SG.

Nothing new in HD's line up interests me much at those prices!

Interest rates across the board are at decades ago highs.

Traded in for a simpler vehicle (2018 Tundra) with less gadgets to go wrong in the next decade and have a small amount financed at 7.99%

Got quoted 7.99% interest on a mortgage a month later. Cash is king now for great deals, if you got it.

PS hearing the company leader's German accent during events just seem wrong for Harley Davidson without the huge success to overcome it.

The following users liked this post:
Fuzzman71 (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 01:49 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,507 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Don't forget the rising popularity of side by sides. You can spend over $30K for a Harley to use by you and sometimes your wife for 7-8 months out of the year, or you can spend under $20K for a SXS for the whole family year round.
My BILs, Harley riders for decades, now spend more time on SXS. Safer for giving the grandkids a ride, and the kids like them better.
They look at new bikes, look at what it would cost to trade, figure they can keep the old bikes running for a fraction of that amount, and then go buy another SXS.

Last edited by Frostbite; 10-27-2023 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Well 2023 Q3 Results are in...