General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Race Through Downtown Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 12:52 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,664 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
If you've been here the last weekend, things turn into a ghost town by Friday afternoon (at least on the Hill). Friends who own restaurants say they see the drop by the dinner hours on Friday. The afternoon crowd has headed back up to the northern hills and things drop off by 5. It's probably a bit different in Sturgis/Spearfish/Deadwood but the rally is pretty much over by Friday evening in Hill City/Keystone/Custer. There are still riders around but not like earlier in the week.

I'm not sure a Sunday race day makes sense - Saturday might be better attended so folks can pack up and leave Sunday. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'd have been reluctant to endorse a 5 year deal, there are a lot of unknowns - what if it rains ? Do they delay the race ? What's the additional cost ? Would visitors stay an extra day ?
I've only been once (2018) but stayed at Glencoe Sunday thru Friday of the rally week. People were trickling out on Thursday and a lot seemed to be headed out Friday with us too.

Old 12-19-2023, 02:25 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,216 Likes on 558 Posts

I’ve read many of your comments, especially about it being the last day. I’m sure they think this will A- lengthen the stay for at least some meaning more local revenue. B-Some who don’t come down-town at all, might. C- Spread the attendees out so the mass is more even. Instead of gobs rolling in Wednesday-Thursday they might see some come in Friday and linger till Monday.

In truth I’ve never been, and have had zero desire so far. A race is actually a big pull for me. Combine the great riding through black hills, Mt Rushmore and other locations, I’d flat just never come into town to wait inline to use the toilet, get a pricy heartburn burger or hotdog type food and see a bunch a folk who’ve had one too many, do things annoying. Not to mention the total crap beer. I’m way too snobby for any beer at these events.

Now I not only wanna come for the riding… but I’d come downtown for the races. I’ll never go back to Daytona or any big event like that. It just brings out the worst in most everyone. The attitudes and stupidity go on nitrous at these events.

Last edited by Rains2much; 12-19-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:30 PM
diablos
Road Captain
Received 606 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
I’ve read many of your comments, especially about it being the last day. I’m sure they think this will A- lengthen the stay for at least some meaning more local revenue. B-some who don’t come down-town at all might. C- spread the attendees out so the mass is more even. Instead of gobs rolling in Wednesday-Thursday they might see some come in Friday and linger till Monday.

In truth I’ve never been and have had zero desire so far. This is actually a big pull for me. Combine the great riding through black hills, Mt Rushmore and other locations I’d flat just never come into town to wait inline to use the toilet, get pricing burger hotdog type food and see a bunch a folk who’ve had one too many do things annoying. Not to mention the total crap beer. I’m way too snobby for any beer at the events.

Now I not only wanna come for the riding… but I’d come downtown for the races. I’ll never go back to Daytona or any big event like that. It just brings out the worst in most everyone. The attitudes and stupidity go on nitrous at these events.
nice thing about the rally, the entire hills is the rally

plenty to see and do (and good food and craft beer for ya), along with the great riding throughout the hills and beyond

Old 12-19-2023, 02:36 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by diablos
nice thing about the rally, the entire hills is the rally

plenty to see and do (and good food and craft beer for ya), along with the great riding throughout the hills and beyond
I like the words you weave…. Let me qualify to get the heart excited.. What good craft beer… if you mean like they have Shocktop or Big Wave… no thanks. That’s just Budweiser. Now if you’re talking “good Beer” we’ll, that can be exciting. Anymore I’m really just a Scotch / Tequila guy. Any Glen will do, soft complex malti. For tequila, most certified additive free Tequila with out fake chemicals for taste.. Pasote, Wild Common, Ocho, Art Nom.. leave that fake chemical crap like 1942 or Case Azul for the beginners.

told ya, I’m a snob.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Rains2much; 12-19-2023 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
diablos (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 02:40 PM
diablos
Road Captain

I like the words you weave…. Let me qualify to get the heart excited.. What good craft beer… if you mean like they have Shocktop or Big Wave… no thanks. That’s just Budweiser. Now if you’re talking “good Beer” we’ll, that can be exciting. Anymore I’m really just a Scotch / Tequila guy. Any Glen will do, soft complex malti. For tequila, most certified additive free Tequila with out fake chemicals for taste.. Pasote, Wild Common, Ocho, Art Nom.. leave that fake chemical crap like 1942 or Case Azul for the beginners.

told ya, I’m a snob.
oh god no, not that kinda crap, actual local craft breweries making real craft brews. lots of em throughout the hills

The following users liked this post:
Rains2much (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 02:46 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Talking

oh god no, not that kinda crap, actual local craft breweries making real craft brews. lots of em throughout the hills
We can be friends

Old 12-19-2023, 03:37 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

told ya, I’m a snob.

​​​​​​​
Perhaps a connoisseur with a sophisticated palate ? From you earlier description of the rally I'd swear you'd been here before - it's spot on. Diablos is right about the micro breweries in the Hills. There's Crow Peak in Spearfish, Firehouse in RC and HC, Miner in HC, Lost Cabin in RC and HC, Rushmore Brewing in Custer. Plenty of options and I'm sure I missed a few. The Hills are a pretty awesome place , it's 60 today and folks are out riding.

The following 2 users liked this post by rizzo:
Architect (12-20-2023), Rains2much (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 03:44 PM
diablos
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rizzo
Perhaps a connoisseur with a sophisticated palate ? From you earlier description of the rally I'd swear you'd been here before - it's spot on. Diablos is right about the micro breweries in the Hills. There's Crow Peak in Spearfish, Firehouse in RC and HC, Miner in HC, Lost Cabin in RC and HC, Rushmore Brewing in Custer. Plenty of options and I'm sure I missed a few. The Hills are a pretty awesome place , it's 60 today and folks are out riding.
not me stupid work ​​​​​​​

Old 12-19-2023, 04:00 PM
Rains2much
Road Warrior

not me stupid work
​​​​​​​I wont like your response because work is not a likable option

Old 12-19-2023, 07:11 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 526 Likes on 364 Posts

They should do something like a Virginia City GP like they do out near Reno. Obviously named Virginia City

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Race Through Downtown Sturgis